Pieces of paper prove nothing

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
fake-diploma-e1290115516150.png

Bro 1 : Carbs are bad, they caused unicorns to become extinct

Person 2: 449-o-rly-baby.gif

Bro 1: I have a degree from Harvard, double majored in Ancient Equestrian Studies and Crypto zoology AND my professor was a Rhodes scholar

Person 2: So?

Bro 1: It means I know what I'm talking about

Person 2: How does that prove carbs made unicorns become extinct?

Bro 1: I have a degree from Harvard, double majored in Ancient Equestrian Studies and Crypto zoology AND my professor was a Rhodes scholar

Person 2: ::Facepalm::

The point being regardless of where you may have a piece of paper from, it doesn't make what you're saying any more accurate or true. People who have to tout their credentials to strengthen their argument are most likely making a pretty crappy argument in the first place. Keep this in mind when reading the forums, watching TV or reading articles.

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    erm...slow day at work? Haha.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    But everyone knows the unicorns became extinct because of crapping out rainbows.

Rainbows are big. Things tore.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    Well said. People feel their schooling/credentials make them superior and more knowledgeable than everyone who may not have the same education as them.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    thank you! i totally agree
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am totally with you when that piece of paper has nothing to do with the topic, but I'm going to defend my fellow scientists and degree-holders here.

If someone posts a topic claiming that artificial sweeteners rot your brain cells, or meat rots in your stomach, or neurodegenerative disease and cancer can be prevented by some magic diet, we will absolutely respond by using the body of knowledge gained by those degrees we use every day to debunk these patently false claims.

Now if I had a degree in ancient aramiac literature, then yeah, me using my degree to support assertions about physiology and biology would be wholly deserving of your scorn. But I don't - I have a PhD in biology and neuroscience - if I respond to a relevant thread it's usually because I *know* something about that topic (and generally we don't make assertions about areas in which we're not well versed). Do you have to believe every word I say? Of course not, that's why I (and most of the other scientists I've seen responding regularly) give citations and evidence for our positions.

If that information contradicts a belief you personally hold dear, that's fine. You use your experience and knowledge to make your point, and I use mine. It doesn't make me always right, or anyone else wrong, but more information from knowledgeable sources is not a bad thing.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Rather than spend too much time deciding whether to believe Bro 1 or Person 2, do your own research! Nothing beats taking responsibility for finding out correct information & science for yourself. As much as I love following the more knowledgeable "gurus" here at MFP, nothing beats the peace of mind in finding the stuff out for myself.
  • Acg67
    Options
    Hey, I am totally with you when that piece of paper has nothing to do with the topic, but I'm going to defend my fellow scientists and degree-holders here.

If someone posts a topic claiming that artificial sweeteners rot your brain cells, or meat rots in your stomach, or neurodegenerative disease and cancer can be prevented by some magic diet, we will absolutely respond by using the body of knowledge gained by those degrees we use every day to debunk these patently false claims.

I wasn't bashing degree holders, but those that think that simply having a degree lends more credence to their claims, regardless of how nonsensical their claims may be. You can usually get an idea of people who know that they are talking about, without them ever having to bring up they have a degree, training cert or what have you.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Rather than spend too much time deciding whether to believe Bro 1 or Person 2, do your own research! Nothing beats taking responsibility for finding out correct information & science for yourself. As much as I love following the more knowledgeable "gurus" here at MFP, nothing beats the peace of mind in finding the stuff out for myself.

But yet we still get the *kitten**ng idiots on here that ask for opinions when theirs are already made up.

*punches babies and kicks old people*
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options

I wasn't bashing degree holders, but those that think that simply having a degree lends more credence to their claims, regardless of how nonsensical their claims may be. You can usually get an idea of people who know that they are talking about, without them ever having to bring up they have a degree, training cert or what have you.

I only try to believe those that reference wikipedia - cause we all know those are stone cold facts *smh* & *rme*
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm a firm believer that a college degree only means you had the money to pay for college. i've met many stupid people with degrees, in all fields.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Now if I had a degree in ancient aramiac literature, then yeah, me using my degree to support assertions about physiology and biology would be wholly deserving of your scorn. But I don't - I have a PhD in biology and neuroscience - if I respond to a relevant thread it's usually because I *know* something about that topic (and generally we don't make assertions about areas in which we're not well versed). Do you have to believe every word I say? Of course not, that's why I (and most of the other scientists I've seen responding regularly) give citations and evidence for our positions.

If that information contradicts a belief you personally hold dear, that's fine. You use your experience and knowledge to make your point, and I use mine. It doesn't make me always right, or anyone else wrong, but more information from knowledgeable sources is not a bad thing.

Thanks for that. I know I would listen to the experts over a random person anytime. At least they have the relevant credentials to back themselves up.

They have those degrees for a reason. They've done the work. They know what's up. Trust reliable, educated sources.
  • Acg67
    Options

Thanks for that. I know I would listen to the experts over a random person anytime. At least they have the relevant credentials to back themselves up.

They have those degrees for a reason. They've done the work. They know what's up. Trust reliable, educated sources.

Like Dr. Oz?
  • frazzle29
    frazzle29 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the OP. I have an AA in computer programming and I couldn't program a computer to save my life!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    i'm a firm believer that a college degree only means you had the money to pay for college. i've met many stupid people with degrees, in all fields.
    All too true, unfortunately
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    Like Dr. Oz?

Oooh get me with my weak points why don't you?!

But here's the rub. I'm sure Dr. Oz is actually a pretty good surgeon. That's what he's trained in. So that's his area of expertise and I'd certainly defer to him over what some person on the street said when it comes to cardiovascular issues.

Now reiki? That's just horseS no matter how you slice it. So the lesson is you listen to experts when they are discussing their field of expertise. Not in all things.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's not whether the person has the credentials or not, it's more about people using those credentials as their justification for making a claim, rather than actual scientific evidence.

If I have a degree in biology, and I'm making a claim about biology, I should be able to produce scientific proof for my claims, if I am an expert. If my only proof is "I HAVE A DEGREE IN BIOLOGY," then it is pretty clear that what I'm saying has no real merit, from a factual standpoint.

There's a huge difference between someone being an expert, and someone just having a degree.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Guess you don't pal around with the ones who actually learned something then. Having a college degree can mean many different things. Determination and persistence come to mind. And that can't be bought.

"Stupid" is relative. Having a higher education degree usually isn't a stupid choice.
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    It's not whether the person has the credentials or not, it's more about people using those credentials as their justification for making a claim, rather than actual scientific evidence.

If I have a degree in biology, and I'm making a claim about biology, I should be able to produce scientific proof for my claims, if I am an expert. If my only proof is "I HAVE A DEGREE IN BIOLOGY," then it is pretty clear that what I'm saying has no real merit, from a factual standpoint.

There's a huge difference between someone being an expert, and someone just having a degree.

No one supports the use of peer reviewed and evaluated evidence more than me. Of course anyone with a degree should be able to back up their claims with studies cited. If they can't, if all they say is "Shutup I know things I have degree mmhmm french fried potaters" then you should not only ignore them but also question if they're being honest in the first place.

I'm just trying to combat the very common internet meme "Yeah screw scientists and doctors! What the hell do they know!" It really irritates me, especially since we are all communicating using the internet.
  • sn0wd0gg
    sn0wd0gg Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of a guy i know - he and I were arguing some point about Doppler shift in light. Don't ask me the details now as I've forgotten them, but we were at an ice rink when the debate came up (go figure!) Anyway, at one point he pulled the degree card on me and just says "I've got a PhD!" .... silence.

This same guy, later on, was at an event where he was in the same room with the mummy of Ramses the Great. He thought it was king Tut. So much for the PhD I guess! :-)