How to get my protein without adding fat

Options
mslack01
mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
Since my friend runbyme has had success with changing her calorie goals, I got some advice from the person who helped her and I am going to adjust mine also. With my new goals I need to have 128 gms of protein and 28 gms of fat. Before, when I was on the mfp plan, I was doing fine on protein, but I was only eating an average of half that. I just changed my goals in the middle of the day today and already see that I am almost over on fat, and I am way under on protein. Was thinking of using that protein powder, but I don't know what I can do with it that won't add fat. Do you guys just drink yours with water? I used to always mix mine with almond milk and make it like a shake.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I mix my protein shakes in water. My BF uses skim milk - more protein, no added fat! Though you then have to consider the carbohydrates... But lean meats are also a great way to get more protein in without too much fat.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd try adding more lean protein like chicken breast, lean cuts of beef or pork, and fish including shrimp and tinned tuna rather than more whey protein. You'll get more variety of taste and texture as well as protein-type.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I always use water to make my shakes, then add frozen fruit to thicken it.
  • mslack01
    Options
    Someone else mentioned tuna, and I like Tuna so I will have to eat more of it.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Beans, pulses and nuts are also quite high in protein :) Although, nuts do tend to be high in fat too, so maybe avoid those!
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I Poach Chicken and Fish without adding much.
    Edamame beans have 12 G of Protein for 100 G.!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelets with veggies or a spoonfull of salsa.
  • mezz3329
    mezz3329 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can have nuts and they do have fat but your body needs certain fats (and nuts like almonds) provide good fats for your body. Good fats during the day help your body process and move vitamins to their right places. Chicken breast and lean meats are good ... fish is an excellent source. Try and stay away from eating too much red meat though,
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure Zero Carb Protein.

2 scoops, Calories: 210-220, Protein: 50 grams (100%), Total Fat: 1 gram (1%), Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams (3%), Trans Fat: 0 grams, Cholesterol: 5 mg (2%), Sodium: 320 mg (15%), Potassium: 750 mg (20%), Total Carbohydrates: Vanilla: 0 grams (0%) Chocolate: 3 grams (1%), Dietary Fiber: 2 grams (8%), Sugars: 0 grams.

And they have good flavors too!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    1st of all, make sure that fat level isn't too low. You do need to eat a certain amount of fat in order for your cells to function properly, don't let it get below 25% of your calorie intake.

With that said:
    To get protein without the fat, tuna is great. Any grilled or baked meats, especially chicken. Eggs are great in moderation, and eat the entire egg, not just the white, because the nutrients and protein are worth the little bit of fat & cholesterol. Veggies are not great sources of protein, but they are low in fat and you can choose higher-protein options like mushrooms or spinach or sprouts/tofu (every little bit counts, right?).

As far as protein powder, I'm a big fan of Syntrax Nectar because most of their varieties mix up smoothly & are pretty tasty with just water, and they carry a lot of different kinds. Sometimes I'll mix a cup of coffee, some ice, and cappuccino protein powder. Or sometimes I'll put some fuzzy navel or strawberry-kiwi protein powder in my Greek yogurt.
  • mslack01
    Options
    These are all very good ideas and helpful, so thank you!I forgot all about nuts and I love nuts. (no pun intended).---sorry, I have a quirky mind and I had to go there.