Would this be okay?

Options
So I really want to boost my weight loss as I have been stuck for a couple weeks. I have been working out 45 min/day 6-7 days a week, making sure to eat my exercise calories, but I still feel like my body adjusts to whatever amount I eat. Like the first week I was on this diet I was STARVING and I lost 7 lbs. Since then, I have only lost 3 lbs but haven't been famished all the time. I have decided that maybe my body would work best if I mixed up my calorie intake throughout the week. If I eat 1000 calories every other day instead of 1200, plus any additional exercise calories, do you think I would be okay?

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    So I really want to boost my weight loss as I have been stuck for a couple weeks. I have been working out 45 min/day 6-7 days a week, making sure to eat my exercise calories, but I still feel like my body adjusts to whatever amount I eat. Like the first week I was on this diet I was STARVING and I lost 7 lbs. Since then, I have only lost 3 lbs but haven't been famished all the time. I have decided that maybe my body would work best if I mixed up my calorie intake throughout the week. If I eat 1000 calories every other day instead of 1200, plus any additional exercise calories, do you think I would be okay?
  • greeneyedgirl
    Options
    Personally, I try to mix up my intake and not stick to the same calorie count all the time. It works for me so it may for you
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I agree with greeneyegirl, mix it up and even your exercises, push a little harder or something different a couple times a week.:flowerforyou:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I started to mix it up two weeks ago....I never took the same cardio/strength training class more than twice a week and I'm noticing a bigger difference in how I feel and a little in how I look.

Mix it up!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    it's natural for your body to lose more the first week. Can't expect 3 lbs a week. That's just too much. read this, maybe it will help you a little.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • jcummings69
    Options
    it's natural for your body to lose more the first week. Can't expect 3 lbs a week. That's just too much. read this, maybe it will help you a little.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

Oh I am not expecting 3 lbs a week, but I have only lost 3 lbs in about a month and a half!
  • DesertWind
    Options
    According to your routine, you may lose fat weight and gain muscle weight. So, the pounds may fluctuate. Continue to work out and change your routine every couple of weeks.
  • banks1850
    Options

Oh I am not expecting 3 lbs a week, but I have only lost 3 lbs in about a month and a half!

Ohhhhhh, that's different. well, maybe you should tweek your calories. But that doesn't necessarilly mean down, it may, but it also could mean you're too far under your calories and your body is paniced and storing fat because it thinks your starving.

What are your numbers? (I mean, height, weight, age, activity level)
  • jcummings69
    Options
    I'm 23, 5'2 , and 174 lbs. I am fairly sedentary besides working out - which I do at least 45 minutes 6-7 times a week. I do Tae Bo, Cardio Sculpt (cross training), walking on the treadmill/outside, and the Biggest Loser Cardio. I try to mix up my work outs as much as I can. I don't do much strength training, but most of my workouts include that.
  • jcummings69
    Options
    ?
  • banks1850
    Options
    Of course, to anyone who is having trouble with their diet and exercise plan, I would first recommend seeing a certified trainer at least once, either that or a registered dietician. That being said, this is my thoughts (I'm not a professional, so take what you will from it.)

I would recommend maybe going slightly up in your calories first, maybe by about 200. To lose an average of 1 lb a week for you the site recommends just under 1400 calories. I would give that a month, and see how it goes, without changing your exercise routine. If you're already at 1200 and not losing weight, there is something going on, and considering you are already at a deficite, you should, by all reasonable accounts, be losing more weight then 1/2 a lb per week. 3 lbs over 6 weeks sounds light, it may be that your body is hanging on to more fat stores then you want because it thinks it isn't getting enough. Probably not enough to be in full starvation mode, but I imagine it is thinking about it (metaphorically speaking).
    Worst case scenario is you continue the same way, which isn't a horrible perspective. but if you go down first, and you are already below safe calories (again, not SURE this is the case, just giving an educated guess), then you could be increasing the damage done.
  • jcummings69
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it!