Results??

Options
I'm new to MFP, I have worked out for 6 days straight (5 of which are insanity, which i plan on sticking to)....I have been trying to stay within my calorie intake which is 1440..but i have only been able to do this 2 days.. but i guess the other days we can say i ate back my exercise calories (about 300)... I just really wish the scale would move.. I'm 5'5...191lbs.... goal weight is 150..but really want to lose 15lbs in the next 2 months (for a wedding/special events coming up). I have done tons of diets before and wondering if my metabolism is messed up... or am i expecting too much??? I'm going to keep at it but i Am definitely struggling with entering home made food in MFP diary... I went out and bought lots of healthy snacks that I can SCAN..lol...just really want motivation.... this is the first time i'm not starving myself and focusing on eating more often... any advice or motivation will be appreciated...(first post btw)... would like to hear from ppl who struggled to see results too.... I want to write a success story too...plus hearing about ppl losing 8-10lbs in the first week is making me sad that the scale hasn't moved!!! :(

Replies

• lmkelly679
    lmkelly679 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    i was doing turbo fire and had the same problem, i asked for help on here and the tips helped!! Make sure your eating enough. MFP has me eat 1200 calories a day and when i did one of the dvd's MFP would add back calories, i didn't eat those extra calories because i wanted to stick to 1200 cal a day, turns out i was putting my body into starvation mode which prevented me from losing weight. Make sure you put in as close to the amount of calories your burning on here and eat all of the calories it adds back.
  • JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    Don't get too discouraged...it has only been a week. You're gaining muscle, your body is readjusting...not sticking to your calories could be a problem..if you open your food diary it'd be easier for people to help you out. 15lbs in 2 months isn't completely unrealistic but when people are saying 8-10lbs in the first week, most of it is just water weight. You should lose about 1-2lbs per week but everyone is different..your body may need to adjust to the new lifestyle before it really loses. Drink lots of water...eat healthy...Log every single little thing!!!

Again, if you make your diary public people could give you feedback about what you're eating =]
    Feel Free to add me
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You and I seem similar, I started at 202 and I say Im 5'6" but Im not quite that. I eat 1200 calories per day, sometimes I am very close like 1100 (which you are not supposed to do, this is pretty rare though I do that) I try to stay under 1300. I have lost 23 lbs in 9 weeks so I really think you can too! Now I do not eat any of my calories back that I burn. I burn maybe an average of 500-750 calories each day M-F. Sometimes I will do a Saturday too but not often. I have burned 1000 in a day occasionally. My biggest weight loss week was 5 lbs the very first week. Let me know if you want any more tips. I feel Im almost an expert (haha) as long as I have struggled w/my weight. Iv gone up and down too many times.
  • bumflapassassin
    bumflapassassin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'd say that 1 or 2 pounds each week is a realistic and healthy loss.

Unsure about the science of metabolism but I have been working out for some time now and I have found it addictive.

I will say though that you need to give it time to notice a difference. Be realistic in your workout routine and build it into your lifestyle so that you will be able to maintain it. I would suggest you look further than 2 months. Although it's good to have smaller goals, surely you want to get into a healthy eating routine and achieve the shape you want and maintain it rather than have to frantically diet again next time you have an event to go to.
  • millie_cabos
    millie_cabos Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also don't know how to add the insanity workouts to MFP... I am not going to say i burn what everyone else burns bc i do take some breaks...I am totally not fit and I am just proud of myself fro getting through the videos...plus I am drenched in sweat so I know I am still working...I will open my diary (as soon as i figure out how to) but don't be too hard on me since i've only been using a couple of days...and some food is estimation since i don't walk around with a measuring cup..(although maybe i should start)
  • lmkelly679
    lmkelly679 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    you should be proud of yourself! Im not sure how insanity is but i logged turbo fire in as cardio circuit.
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get a cheap heart rate monitor (HRM). I like mine for when I do zumba classes that way I know my calorie burn. You can get cheap ones, mine was a present but think was under $30 on sale.
  • millie_cabos
    Options
    Yeah, i was thinking of a heart rate monitor that way it would be a better estimation of calories burned...Also I made my diary Open so anyone can feel free to look at my food intake.... thanks for your helpful words... I am definitely going to stick with it and I am still proud of the videos i am doing bc they are literally INSANE....just wish the scale would back me up!!!
  • cbaumanncb
    Options
    One thing to remember that it is not just calories. The % of carbs, fat and protein that make up your calories is just as important. Personally, I try and do 35% of my calories as protein and carbs and 30% fat. You need to be sure to keep your protein up or you will lose muscle as well as fat (per unit area, a pound of fat takes up more space than a pound of protein. I am by no means a nutrition expert but this approach has been working for me. I am 5"11 and was over 225. With this balance I am now 204 in about 4 weeks with exercise. Also be sure to drink LOTS of water. Your body needs to be hydrated to build muscle (which it really wants to do after exercise). Keep at it.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    According to some BMR calculators I have found, your Basal Metabolic Rate is approximately 1,650 (the BMR on MFP is a little under in calories compared to most other calculators). According to other research, the best method of losing weight is to intake 80% of your BMR (or create a 20% deficit), which is about 1,300 calories a day (that INCLUDES calories burned). So you are pretty close with your daily limit but you might consider dropping it a tad. This would create a 350 calories per day deficit, which means it will take ten days for you to lose one pound (3,500 calories in a pound). So you should expect to lose a little less than a pound a week. And I think you should eat your burned calories, you are working your body using energy and you shouldn't punish it and risk starvation mode.

I know that may be discouraging to hear you might only lose a pound every ten days because it says on MFP you can lose 1 to 2 lbs a week....but honestly you have to realize that some people are ALOT more overweight than you and those are the ones who are able to safely lose more a week. I know you wanted to lose that much before the wedding but you may not be able to do it sustainably (starving yourself and then getting discouraged and quitting, etc). And kolkol is HARDCORE (you go girl!), but you might not be able to keep up, and that's ok (if you can, that is great!). Just DON'T lose faith, just keep in mind that the lbs went on slowly and it's ok for them to come off slowly, because you are making changes for YOUR LIFE, not just swimsuit season. :) No matter how little you lose, you will still look healthier than you did for the special event, and that is what is important.

You probably just haven't lost any weight yet because daily weight fluctuates (how much water have you drank today? Are you bloated from your period? etc.). Make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time every day, becuase that helps keep it stable a little. But honestly, it takes time to see results. I have been doing this for five weeks now and only recently have I begun to see real changes in my weight loss, because before it would fluctuate so much each day (MFP even reccomends you are only supposed to weigh yourself once a week) it was discouraging (down 1 lb one day, up 1.5 the next, heartbreaking!). But once you start losing, if you are sticking to the plan, it WILL be slow and steady. Like the turtle that wins the race. :)

As far as it being hard to enter in unpackaged/fresh foods....yeah that is definately the hardest part about MFP. Which is tough, because you don't want to eat alot of prepackaged food, but those are the ones with the bar codes. But honestly, once you do it for awhile you will realize you eat alot of the same foods and MFP will remember them and keep them accessable. And also remember you can create your own recipes, etc. Keep at it!! I have found it very difficult, but also I am learning SOOO much about calories and nutrition, especially ALOT of things that I THOUGHT I knew but I was very much off base (as in, I used to eat red beets as a source of iron, which isn't effective :P). So it is a learning process, and going through the motions, although tedious, does teach you.

But I promise, once you begin to see results you will be SO empowered!! It really is wonderful. If you are diligent YOU WILL LOSE. You can weigh what ever you want to weigh. :) YOU CAN DO IT!!!

17245635.png
  • millie_cabos
    Options
    Thanks so much jannspizziri... Your words are so encouraging! I am definitely going to keep at it and I feel better anyways so I'm happy about that! I will push through and hope to see small changes soon! Thanks guys!
  • madeinforks
    madeinforks Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started out at the exact same weight two months ago..have lost 13.5 lbs..am 56 yrs old..work out 3-4 hr a week ..keep at a 1500 calorie daily and if I can lose that much at my age you can sure lose 2 more lbs than me! but believe me with the weight training sessions you will lose inches and that will be the most exciting thing and be toned up..So don't worry and stick to this and you will love the results and be ready for that wedding!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!