feeling sick after cardio

Options
Hi! I am new to exercising and i did 21 minutes of Zumba today, but afterwards I felt like I was going to throw up. I had a yogurt for breakfast and exercised like 30 minutes later. Any suggestions as to why this is happening or how i can prevent it??

Replies

• 76claire
    76claire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I generally have to wait 1 or two hours between eating and exercising, depending on the size of the meal/snack. If I don't I always feel queasy and get a stitch.
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly strong stomach and can take exercising after eating but alot of people cant, maybe try on an empty stomach or else leave more time before exercising after eating.. worth a try!!
  • keriko
    keriko Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    perhaps you're working yourself too hard. I know that I generally have to scale it back when I do cardio.

Check your heart rate, stay in a safe zone and zumba at your OWN pace! Eventually the wonky tummy feeling will go away.

in short: listen to your body
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As the others said, maybe wait more like an hour before exercising, or just do it on an empty stomach. The other thing I've noticed is that if I'm dehydrated, I tend to feel sick, especially when doing more intense workouts. Make sure you drink plenty every day to stay fully hydrated and have a sip or two of water while you're working out.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    when you wake up in the mornings, you have been "fasting" for however long it has been since you last ate - typically 8-12 hours. Different people experience different things, but I am one of those people that do not exercise in the mornings, for a few reasons, but mainly because unless you eat a larger than normal breakfast, your blood sugar will drop considerably when you exercise hard. This can give the feeling you are describing. Eating a container of yogurt (~100-200 calories) after fasting for 8-12 hours, then doing Zumba (500+ calories/hour) is going to cause you to be at an energy deficit right off.

I'd either eat more for breakfast and wait about an hour, or work out later in the day after you have eaten more calories.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This kept happening to me in January when I started. I read things that said to avoid protein, some said to eat protein, many said to avoid fiber, some said to stick to simple carbs. I don't know the answer for people in general, but I found a solution that works for me. I eat a Luna bar before I work out, either the high protein ones or the normal ones. I drink a big glass of water or tea with it. After I work out I eat an ounce of almonds and an apple. This combination works really well for me. If I eat a bowl of cereal or a half a peanut butter sandwich, even if the carb/protein/fiber/fat ration is similar, I feel sick.

It has been a mystery to me.

But, tweak your diet until you find something that works and log it in your food diary. You'll figure it out.

Apparently, the upset stomach is brought on by lactic acid, or something like that. When you start to feel sick, you need to stop until it passes. Eventually it will go away. :)

Good luck!
    Shannon
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest eating more. Doesn't have to be loads. Try some whole wheat toast and a banana and give it 45 minutes before exercising.
    You're probably feeling sick because you don't have anything to fuel your body.
    And don't forget that you don't want to stress the body and make it cling to any fat you have stored, by not eating.
    Your body is a machine, fuel it ;)