Leftover yolks?

Options

Replies

• m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    We have chickens, so I have no need to buy egg whites ;-D

Plus, I tried egg whites from a carton years ago and I broke out in hives and got a terrible headache. I'm allergic to a bunch of antibiotics which are often given to stockyard animals, which is why we started raising our own :-(

I hadn't thought of giving them to the dogs, what a great idea!!

I scramble them and feed them back to the chickens. The chickens love them and they are great for them to eat.
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I also give them to my dogs!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Ha I just give them to my dog, she loves them!

Me too! Make my pups coat nice and shiny.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat the whole egg, but today I thought I would try an egg white omelette. It was yummy! But now what should I do with those leftover yolks??? Can I bake something with just the yolks?

You can make homemade pudding with them. But most people just throw them away because that's where all the fat is.
  • bluekat61
    bluekat61 Posts: 24
    Options
    If you are raising your own chickens for eggs, you really needn't worry so much about the yolks. They are full of Omega 3's, egg yolks have gotten a bad rap, but organic, free range are great for you! I am thinking about raising chickens myself, just so I can have a whole egg and not just whites. There's nothing like a fresh egg from your own chickens!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I cook them up and give them to my dog and cat :smile:, they love it!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If I am going for a low calorie breakfast, I will take out the yolks about 50% of the time. If this is like Friday or Saturday I will use the yolks for the next day or on the night and use them to stick breadcrumbs to meat and make a burger.

I love making my own burgers. Mainly chicken or turkey breast.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I feed them back to my chickens, they love them!!
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I use them to make gelato. It is better for you than store bought ice cream.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-hazelnut-gelato-179550/
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Plus, I tried egg whites from a carton years ago and I broke out in hives and got a terrible headache. I'm allergic to a bunch of antibiotics which are often given to stockyard animals, which is why we started raising our own :-(

I scramble them and feed them back to the chickens. The chickens love them and they are great for them to eat.

This makes me laugh - does this mean your chickens are cannibals???
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options

You feeding the chickens their kids!?
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If you are raising your own chickens for eggs, you really needn't worry so much about the yolks. They are full of Omega 3's, egg yolks have gotten a bad rap, but organic, free range are great for you! I am thinking about raising chickens myself, just so I can have a whole egg and not just whites. There's nothing like a fresh egg from your own chickens!

I have 23 chickens, and one rooster. I love them the eggs are great! Pluss they eat bugs and make gold for the ground. Not to mention they love leftovers.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    can dogs eat raw eggs?
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

You feeding the chickens their kids!?
    Haha, I was just thinking the same thing. /shrug
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    When I hard boil them...

My dog loves them too :)
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Scrammble them up and freeze them. I use mine in stir-frys or fried rice. Or boil and freeze them and use in tuna salad.
  • dedarlin
    dedarlin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    egg yolks from fresh eggs have tons more nutritional value than store bought eggs! also, more than half the protein is in the yolk, such a waste to NOT eat them! unless you are seriously watching your cholesterol there really isn't a reason to forgo to the yolks :)
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    can dogs eat raw eggs?

Yes, I feed them to my lab all of the time. If my chickens crack an egg or lay a strange softshell egg I feed it to our dog raw.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Might sound like a stupid question.. But to everyone who said you feed them to your dogs; do you cook them or feed them raw?

Either. They have more sturdy stomachs than we do. But you can cook it with some liver if you wanted to. ;)
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them but the others I throw away. I do not feel guilty about this. They either go to waste or waist (MINE)!