Sugar intake

Options
cedder1
cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
According to my calories set per day, I am only to consume 24 g of sugar per day. I ate one banana in my cereal and that used up 19g immediately. How is it possible to only consume 24 g. of sugar per day when you should be eating fruits and veggies? On, he new weight watcher points plus system, fruts and veggies are unlimited and people still lose weight. I am somewhat perplexed at how MFP figures sugar intake ????

Replies

• Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugars that come from fruit, milk, plain yogurt, you know "natural sugars". Waht you have to watch for is sugar in cookies, ice cream, cakes, pastries and things like that. :) Good luck!

P.S.: I also eat tons of fruits and veggies and the weight is coming off. If you are not eating processed sugar don't worry about it.
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    According to my calories set per day, I am only to consume 24 g of sugar per day. I ate one banana in my cereal and that used up 19g immediately. How is it possible to only consume 24 g. of sugar per day when you should be eating fruits and veggies? On, he new weight watcher points plus system, fruts and veggies are unlimited and people still lose weight. I am somewhat perplexed at how MFP figures sugar intake ????

I have the same question! Thank you for posting!! I do have to say that normally I don't count the sugar like you said in a fruit as high as I would the snacks! But it does seem low to me, and I feel like I alwasy go over on protein, do you have the same issue?
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Some fruits are also higher than others... i tend to stick to blueberries/blackberries/raspberries.
    Bananas are one of the worst -- but also one of the yummiest :)

The sugar you're trying to avoid is mostly from soda and bad carbs..
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ms. Sorensen, I usually go over on carbs....from whole grains that I am eating. I am trying to concentrate more on proteins. I never eat cookies or drink soda. On the weekends I occassionally may have sugar free ice cream. Thanks to all for your imput. I will just have to "ignore" the fruit sugars on my diary since I know where they coming from.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

I have the same question! Thank you for posting!! I do have to say that normally I don't count the sugar like you said in a fruit as high as I would the snacks! But it does seem low to me, and I feel like I alwasy go over on protein, do you have the same issue?

Going over on protein is GOOD espeically if you're still using the MFP defaults -- which are completely backwards in my opinion. I changed mine to 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat -- but its a personal thing. I would never worry if I went over protein -- its the carbs/sugar/sodium that hurt you.. Protein makes you feel and stay full a lot longer than a big burrito or cheeseburger and fries :)
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about sugars that come from fruit, milk, plain yogurt, you know "natural sugars". Waht you have to watch for is sugar in cookies, ice cream, cakes, pastries and things like that. :) Good luck!

P.S.: I also eat tons of fruits and veggies and the weight is coming off. If you are not eating processed sugar don't worry about it.

Very well said.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Very well said.

Agreed. I'm a vegetarian, and if eating sugar from fruit is bad, I'm done for. :-)
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bananas also pack a ton of energy though. If you're working out, it's not a bad thing.

Keep in mind some facts in the nutrition facts on the box are NOT the same as USDA's MyPlate. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

The serving sizes are not the same !! Protein page, for example. http://www.choosemyplate.gov/foodgroups/proteinfoods.html
  • atred
    atred Posts: 7
    Options
    How do you change the MFP defaults? I'm always over on protein, fiber and sugar, but low on carbs which is my goal.
  • Willi1163
    Options
    Has anyone here lost weight using fitness pal or weight watchers? I'm considering weight watchers, I just don't want to waste money on it if it does not work. Does anyone have a success story they would like to share? Thank you
  • Willi1163
    Options
    How did you lose 20 lbs? What was most successful?
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    Has anyone here lost weight using fitness pal or weight watchers? I'm considering weight watchers, I just don't want to waste money on it if it does not work. Does anyone have a success story they would like to share? Thank you

I've lost weight on WW twice in the past--two several month long stints--but I regained the weight and then some. To be fair, I had some degree of insulin resistance (my oral glucose tolerance test was literally 1 or 2 pts away from me being diagnosed with prediabetes), and this made WW's low-fat/high-carb diet hard to stick with as I was constantly battling hunger (due to blood sugar swings) in order to stick to the plan. The weekly group weigh-in/coaching sessions helped me battle hunger and stick to plan for several months at a time, but in the end both times, it was like hanging off of a steep cliff with your finger tips: nature eventually wins.

I guess the moral of my own story is to figure out how well your body tolerates carbs because a low-fat diet (which is what WW is) usually implies a high-carb intake. The standard fasting glucose blood test is a lagging indicator (your insulin signaling has to be impaired for several years in order not to get blood sugars down in a normal range after 12+ hours of fasting). Would recommend taking either/both the oral glucose tolerance test or the A1C to more accurately gauge your body's degree of insulin resistance. If you're not insulin resistant to any degree, you'd probably be okay on any diet or weight loss program, including WW.

As for me, I started a generic low-carb diet (pretty much Atkins, Phase 1) almost 14 months ago to deal with my body's insulin resistance and have not had my usual hunger (due to blood sugar swings) vs. willpower (to stick to plan) dilemma. It's made a huge difference in being able to turn my diet into a permanent lifestyle change with good results. Just my two cents.
  • allybay
    allybay Posts: 17
    Options

I'm wondering about these natural sugars for people who are, like myself, prediabetic. I just recently learned that I'm prediabetic and I'm trying to get as much info as I can. Anyone in here have any answer for this?
  • JayBeeGo
    JayBeeGo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Like you Allybay I'd love a definitive answer to this.

The 'authoritative' sites I've seen don't seem to make any distinction between natural sugar content and added refined sugar. To my knowledge this site doesn't.

I'm playing safe and assuming that all sugar counts which does make it hard to keep down to what might be reasonable levels. One US authority suggested 135 cals from sugar as a maximum although I've no doubt others can quote wildly different figures.

Keeping down to 34 grm, according to my maths, isn't easy, but avoiding eating predominately the sweetest fruits and including some not so 'sweet' helps.

Adding sugar to pretty much anything is definitely off my menu of course.

Edit: This has prompted me to look a bit further and the only recommendations I have found relate to limiting added sugar. Still unclear regarding the maximum or recommended total intake from all sources.