Major sucess with higher calories!

Options

Replies

• des24rob
    des24rob Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    such a great and inspiring post for me (a MFP newbie) to read! Thank you and even more so CONGRATULATIONS :)
  • sophhhki
    sophhhki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i'm really happy to see this...i've been on a 1330 cal/day diet for about 2 months now...i was totally hitting a plateau, feeling depressed, and having lower energy! i went to my doctor today and she said i have to ramp up my calories to at least 1800. right now i'm doing 1600 because i'm ~so anxious~ about upping my intake...do you guys think i should go all the way to 1800?? check out my profile for my fitness info.

• MysteriousWays
    MysteriousWays Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just went here to find out my Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Mine was 2225. So to lose weight, I should eat no more than 1725. I eat maybe 1200-1500.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

There have been a few posts like this lately and I'm inclined to give it a go. Just remembering that I need to fill my 1725 - or 1570 as I have it set now - with good foods and not burgers, beers and cookies. Yes, some of those things are fine in moderation - but whole grains, protein, veggies and fruits are the way to go.
  • NiceTee75
    NiceTee75 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is such a great post!!! Thanks for sharing. I too recently upped my calories and I'm hoping I have as much success as you!!! Again, thanks for sharing!!!!
  • valligator
    valligator Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • ryvenna
    ryvenna Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if this is silly, but when you ladies talk about upping your calories, do you mean you still net around 1200... Or that you're upping your calories so that you net even higher?? I've been eating around 1800 to 2000+ cals a day, but I usually net around 1300 and I'm curious to know if I should net even higher...
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    I told her to add about 400 calories in high protein food.

How do you do this? I am always low on my protein it seems. I eat fish, but no meat.
  • lifechange12
    lifechange12 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • andreaavrutis
    Options
    Hello! These are very exciting posts!! My question is, how do you determine what calorie range you should be eating each day?
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have been contemplating this for a while now because no matter how hard I try, I have been barely maintaining, even gaining. I'll give it a shot now, what do I have to lose??? (Aside from 30 lbs!!! LOL)
  • barwood
    barwood Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Where do we find this guy. Or tell us how to come up with the number we need.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    One question... does anyone have something more than anecdotal reports on how hormonal fluctuations affect that?

Perimenopausal women have a hell of a time losing weight and can even gain weight on less food than you'd ever expect to make a difference. I can say that anecdotally, but also, I've been doing some reading on the issue.

From what I've been reading, this has to do with the body's imperative to retain estrogen stored secondarily in fat cells when your ovaries stop producing it. It wouldn't have crossed my mind if I hadn't run into an article on it. I don't know how reliable that information is, given it's not my area.

On the up side, when you go full meno apparently it stops being an issue but that transitional period might just be the exception to the rule.

Mirii
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    good for you! i hope i have the same results as i upped my calories this week!
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Where do we find this guy. Or tell us how to come up with the number we need.

Awaiting answer......
  • littleblueallie
    littleblueallie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200. I eat a lot, just healthier things, with the exception of the past few days. I haven't really weighed myself since Monday (I'm trying not to weigh myself TOO much) so maybe if i plateau or have gained, I'll up my calories as well.
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about upping my calories for awhile now myself, i did my TDEE as well as how many calories i will need to maintain my goal weight. According to those i should be eating around 1800, looks like im trying that starting tomorrow. I havent had much energy with the 1470-1590 i've been at and I've never eat my exercise calories unless im starving..time to change it up! thank you all for posting your success! :)
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list - I had my numbers ran by Helloitsdan on the 18th Feb, and I went from 1200 to 1750.

I thought - HUH???? I'm just about 5ft, how am I going to lose weight on that many calories?

But I was prepared to give it a go, and I am so glad I did. in 3 weeks I have lost over 5lb, but I am more excited about the inches off my waist.

Apparently your body needs fats to burn fat.

According to MFP I should be maintaining at this level of calories.