Frozen section...might sound bad

Options
zsaoosh
zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
OK, I am a mom that works a full time and part time job and seems to get a work out and a healthy dinner in for the kid. BUT breakfast, lunch and snacks for myself really suck! I eat a lot of Healthy Choice steamers, jerky and low cal junk. I bring an apple or grapes and even made my own trail mix but I am looking for actually “healthier” versions of ready-to-eat-meals for breakfast and lunch that are fast for when I am on the go at work.

Replies

• secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    all that comes to mind for me without having to microwave it, or make it is: meal bars, protein juice shakes, smoothie shakes and then of course have them with your reg. snacks right now of: vegis, fruits or trail mix... sorry if I couldnt be of more help..
  • Tonika44137
    Tonika44137 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mother that also work a full time and part time job so I understand its hard to cook alot..during the week for lunch I usually have a salad with chicken (either chicken I baked myself or Tyson 100% grilled chicken), i sometimes will throw some tuna in my salad..I also eat Steamfresh veggies or Boca veggie burgers which are quick and easy..on Sundays I cook a big meal that allows me to have enough leftovers for a fewa day to throw in my lunch, like chicken, I'll bake enough to last me for 4 days and just change the sides..for breakfast I usually eat oatmeal, some type of whole grain cereal with skim milk , or Boca veggie sausage with grits...good luck
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I try to make enough for dinner that I have leftovers for lunch the next day. If I don't have anything, these are some of my "go-to" meals:

*lean cuisine
    *sandwich (tuna or turkey)
    *progresso soup

I usually have veggies and yogurt with that as well (baby carrots, snap peas, grape tomatoes). If I don't eat those at lunch I can have them later for snacks. Other snacks are almonds, string cheese, granola bars, fruit, special K crackers with laughing cow cheese, rice cakes.

For breakfast I make Egg Muffin Cups on Sunday then have one or two for breakfast throughout the week. Here is the recipe (rough estimates on the amounts of each item):

*3/4 c of veggies (I usually do green and red peppers with onion)
    *3/4 c meat (I prefer ham but have done turkey sausage as well)
    *10-11 eggs, whisked with a bit of milk
    *salt, pepper or any other spices that you like

Divide the meat and veggies evenly among each well of a muffin pan. Then add egg to each well. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. You can keep them in the fridge for several days and microwave when you need them.

I usually have toast with a tiny bit of PB and a cup of milk with it for about 300 cals. The egg keeps me full longer than just cereal or toast.
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Here's what comes to mind (I also work full-time, have a family to prepar lunches for as well so I can relate):
    turkey sandwich, salad with a protein, veggie burger (black bean ones are the bet!!), the occassional baked potato in the micro with veggies on top, cottage cheese with fruit, greek yogurt with fruit, protein shake is also good for breakfast if needing something portable, pre-cook a bunch of turkey bacon and have a couple slices each day with a hard-boiled egg or whatever else, cheese and crackers and turkey pepperoni (my kid's favorite), peanut butter sandwich (on occassion only), soup, brown rice/quinoa/couscous mixed with a veggie.

Hope some of these help. I've sworn off the frozen meals - believe me I bought them in bulk! - but they are high in sodium and my hubby has hbp. I find the above ideas more satisfying and filling than those skimpy meals. I actually feel somewhat sorry for people when I see them eating them in the cafeteria at work! Best of luck to you!

*** I realize all of these may not be "ready to eat" but are fairly simple and can be prepared ahead of time***
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Eggs... I usually just boil and egg or two while I get ready in the morning, it takes no extra effort.

I also found this (can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) ....I haven't tried it yet but it looks like it would be great.

12 large eggs
    1 whole bell pepper (chopped small)
    1 zucchini (chopped small)
    1 Portobello mushroom cap (chopped small)
    1 cup frozen chopped spinach
    1 cup your choice thick sliced lunchmeat chopped into small pieces
    1 cup shredded cheese
    1) Spray a frying pan with cooking spray and put burner on medium-high heat. Add all chopped veggies and cook to your desired tenderness. Once cooked, put veggies in a strainer and run under cold water for a minute or two to cool, then press with a spatula or large spoon to get as much moisture out of the veggies as possible (cooling them so they don’t do funny things to the uncooked eggs and pressing them so that when you later re-heat to eat them a bunch of water wont drain all over the plate)
    2) Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a muffin pan (12 regular sized muffins) well with cooking spray.
    3) In a large mixing bowl crack 12 whole large eggs and beat with whisk until yolks and whites are well blended. Add your veggies, cheese, and small chopped lunchmeat- mix well.
    4) Get a ladle and fill each muffin tin to the top with egg mixture and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes or so (it's a good idea to lay a sheet of foil under the muffin tin when cooking JUST IN CASE it runs over. Typically though they cook outside in so they rise like little soufflés without running all over). Eggs will no longer be shiny and will be a light brown color on top. (finish under low broiler if you want a browner look to the top)
    5) Cool completely then individually wrap each egg muffin in saran wrap. Store in a Ziplocs bag and freeze. Take out enough for breakfast each morning and defrost in the microwave (or put in fridge the night before to defrost).

makes 12, about 118 calories each, 11g protein, 7g fat each. REALLY easy, and easy to changeup ingredients if you get tired of them
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    All great ideas! I love me some eggs and hey, might even have enough cals left for raisin toast LOL Any kind of nut isnt work the cals to me, nor is any soup. Saled is good as a side but I cant do it as a main meal...I love protein and carbs...ahhh those carbs LOL
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Steamfresh veggies are legit the best things ever. Frozen vegetables are frozen right when they're picked so they lock in the maximum amount of nutrients, as opposed to fresh veggies that have to go from farm to truck to store, etc. Don't get me wrong, fresh veggies are awesome, but frozen ones are great too.

I buy large batches of chicken breasts, cook them ahead of time, then put them in the freezer (in a larger freezer bag). I also make large amounts of rice, pasta, or quinoa ahead of time. That way, when we get home in the evenings all it takes is a few minutes in the microwave, and I've got dinner on the table in literally 10 minutes.

With working full time, going to the gym in the evenings, plus my son being active in t-ball, we often don't eat dinner until after 8pm, so this has been a HUGE time saver. I usually add some fresh minced garlic into the veggies for flavor, and I use Ms. Dash for seasoning as well (no salt). Whatever I make for dinner, I heat up extra and take it the next day for lunch, with a carb (I don't eat a starch at dinner, aside from veggies). It helps out so much to batch cook ahead of time!
  • kristinL16
    Options
    lad323--that sounds a lot like the recipe I posted. I've never tried freezing them, but keep the whole dozen in the fridge for several days and have had no problems. I also just put the veggies in raw. I usually use 1/3 of each pepper for each batch. I chop both of the peppers, onion, and enough ham for three batches and freeze that. That way next time I need to make them all I need to do is thaw the veggies a bit (not too long or they get mushy) and add the egg. So easy!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why not make your own? you can buy those partitioned containers that have space saved out for an entree and 2 sides.

if you make your weekly meals on a day like saturday or sunday, you can package them and then freeze them. that way you can just take one out when you need it.

those containers are fairly cheap too and you get like 3-4 per package. get 2 sets and you're set for the week.
  • raquelott
    raquelott Posts: 14
    Options
    Steamfresh veggies are legit the best things ever. Frozen vegetables are frozen right when they're picked so they lock in the maximum amount of nutrients, as opposed to fresh veggies that have to go from farm to truck to store, etc. Don't get me wrong, fresh veggies are awesome, but frozen ones are great too.

I buy large batches of chicken breasts, cook them ahead of time, then put them in the freezer (in a larger freezer bag). I also make large amounts of rice, pasta, or quinoa ahead of time. That way, when we get home in the evenings all it takes is a few minutes in the microwave, and I've got dinner on the table in literally 10 minutes.

With working full time, going to the gym in the evenings, plus my son being active in t-ball, we often don't eat dinner until after 8pm, so this has been a HUGE time saver. I usually add some fresh minced garlic into the veggies for flavor, and I use Ms. Dash for seasoning as well (no salt). Whatever I make for dinner, I heat up extra and take it the next day for lunch, with a carb (I don't eat a starch at dinner, aside from veggies). It helps out so much to batch cook ahead of time!
    I like to do that as well. Cook some chicken breasts on Sunday or Monday for the week, plus I always have frozen fish as well. And I'll cook some rice, quinoa, couscous etc and have that handy
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I would really like to do some freezer meals, too, but so far haven't gotten around to it. What does help, though, is to cook a bunch of meat at one time. I will make 3-5 lbs of chicken breast at a time in the crock pot then freeze it (shredded or cubed) in portions that are good for a meal (for us it is usually about 2 cups per Ziploc bag). Soups also can be healthy and make a lot, which you can either freeze for later or use for leftovers (lunch or another dinner). Last week I made Cheeseburger Soup and Taco soup and have been eating both for lunches all week. Luckily they are gone now, since I am getting sick of them for now! :) I make soup at least once a week (various kinds). I also brown large packages of ground beef or turkey all at once and freeze them in smaller portions.

I plan my meals prior to going to the store and then keep my list on the fridge so I know what I have available. When planning I take my schedule into consideration (how many nights will we be getting home late?). The crock pot is my friend. :)
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i do an egg bake too...just scramble the eggs up, pour them into a whoopie pie pan and bake...put them in a bag in the fridge and they are great for me and the kids, add a slice of low fat cheese and put it on a light fiber whole wheat muffin and you have a great breakfast that is super quick for about 220 calories. I use a whoopie pie pan b/c it makes it the right size for an english muffin
    There is also yogurt and granola, fresh fruit, whole wheat waffle with some fruit spread, 12 grain bread with some peanut butter...

Lunch is my tricky one too...and i am at home. i like to make a smoothie up of a bunch of fruits and veggies and drink it through out the afternoon, lots of left over dinners, spicy black bean soup(one of my favorites!) salad and tuna, if i have access to an over i like whole pita pizzas, whole wheat pita toasted with hummus, zuchini with tomatoes and a little motz... lunch is my least favorite meal of the day.
  • KitchenCourses
    Options
    I would recommend creating components of meals all at once near the beginning of the week. Here's what I mean: Create a large batch of quinoa, brown rice, or other whole grain. Roast a few vegetables in the oven all at once, as well as cook some lean meats or prep some beans. Then each night, create different dishes around those ingredients that you've already done the heavy lifting on. Soups, salads, sandwiches, etc.

Good luck!
  • zsaoosh
    Options
    i do an egg bake too...just scramble the eggs up, pour them into a whoopie pie pan and bake...put them in a bag in the fridge and they are great for me and the kids, add a slice of low fat cheese and put it on a light fiber whole wheat muffin and you have a great breakfast that is super quick for about 220 calories. I use a whoopie pie pan b/c it makes it the right size for an english muffin
    There is also yogurt and granola, fresh fruit, whole wheat waffle with some fruit spread, 12 grain bread with some peanut butter...

Lunch is my tricky one too...and i am at home. i like to make a smoothie up of a bunch of fruits and veggies and drink it through out the afternoon, lots of left over dinners, spicy black bean soup(one of my favorites!) salad and tuna, if i have access to an over i like whole pita pizzas, whole wheat pita toasted with hummus, zuchini with tomatoes and a little motz... lunch is my least favorite meal of the day.

What is your recipe for spicy black bean soup??? Sounds good!