Do You Think 5'5 120 Pounds Is A Good Goal Weight?

Options
Right now I'm thin-ish but not very tone and so I was wondering if 120 sounds too thin?

Replies

• gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    It really depends on your build, but personally, that sounds pretty thin to me (I have a sister who, at 5'6" and 135# is reed-thin). If it's toning you're after, I'd recommend exercise, not more weight loss.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    To tone up my lose skin around my stomach, wouldn't I have to lose more weight to do that? And does anyone know the best exercises for toning up lose skin around the stomach after weight loss?
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2in and aiming for 120 but its not set in stone as it depends what I look like may not need to go that low.
  • Carboni82
    Options
    I think 120 is healthy, but anything lower would probably be too much. I think 120 to 125 is a good target.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body type and frame. I can think of two people I know off the top of my head that fall into that category and they are thin, but not unhealthy looking, so it can be a reasonable goal weight. From what you say, though, it sounds like you should focus more on toning exercises than the number on the scale and you will probably be more happy with your results in the end.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Its thin, but look at muscle and fitness before you look at the scale
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your build. If you have a smaller frame, etc. 120 would be a perfectly fine goal.

The way I'm built (all chest and backside), I couldn't imagine being less that 135-140
  • FreshKrisKreash
    Options
    I don't have much junk in the trunk and hardly any boobs at all. My new goal for the year is a 4-pack on my abs. lol
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You're still within the normal weight BMI index but leaning closer to underweight with 120 lbs.

If you're going to be that thin, try some weight training to keep your goal of 125 lbs at your height and age. It will help you look "fit" instead of just "skinny".
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you have loose skin around your stomach from weight loss, it is not going to go away from more weight loss, it's going to get looser! Depending on your age and how fast you lost the weight and how long and how heavy you were to begin with, your skin may tighten up naturally over time, or you may need to have it surgically removed. You can make your stomach look firmer by building more muscle underneath the skin: again, not weight loss. If anything, more muscle= more weight. Loosing more weight is definitely not going to solve the problem though.
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4'' 132lb right now, aiming for 125lb. I think it's a good goal when I think about how much more I could tone, how I could drop my fat % (aiming for 20%, at 22.5%). Give it a go. Normally, our bodies let us know if we are able to do it or not by the way we feel.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I've been 120 and looked fine, but now it would be too low for me because I have more muscle than I used to. If I kept my current lean body mass and weighed 120#, I'd only have about 10% bodyfat, which would be hard enough to get to, but harder to maintain.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    there's no such thing as toning. in order to look like you have muscular definition, you need to build muscle by lifting heavy weights. losing fat won't help if you have no muscles developed underneath.

as for the weight, it depends on your build and body type. for instance i'm also 5'5 but i'm fairly muscular so 120 would be way unhealthy for me. for instance when i got my body fat tested, it turns out 134 pounds of my body is just lean tissue (skeleton, nerves, organs, muscle, etc). so unless i lose a lot of muscle and cut out some organs and limbs, weighing less than 155 would probably make me run into the unhealthy range.
  • vljensen6
    Options
    Personally, I've been at 120 and I was barely eating, I'd say go for about 125-130 to stay healthy. It's not about numbers, it's about health. When I was that weight, i was nearly anorexic, so i'm afraid that to keep it that low you'd have to do something similar.

That being said, we all have different metabolisms and for you, it might work well where it didn't for me.
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    First of all, I'd like to tell you how wonderful your progress has been so far!

Now to answer your question... I'm 5'5" and where I felt best was between 127 and 132... my frame is a little more stout than most... at that time I was in a size 6 and it stretched across my hip bones in the front. I would personally recommend lifting and/or workouts like 30DS that will build muscle AND help burn some fat... and figure out where you feel the best.

You'll always be able to find SOME fault with your body... I think the key is to find where you feel good about yourself and have the most energy. Don't focus so much on the scale.

I have my goal weight set at 140, and when I get there I'll assess how much more I want to lose vs how much I need to tone. I'm guessing I'll be right about at 130 when I'm done, unless there's a whole lot more muscle involved than there was before =D
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    As you get close to your goal weight, it's time to throw away the scale and go by measurements, how clothes fit, and photos.

bum-before-after.jpg

front-before-after.jpg

I started strength training with heavy weights in July. I lost a few pounds after that, then gained a few.

strength-training.jpg
  • robinxhope
    robinxhope Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    there's no such thing as toning. in order to look like you have muscular definition, you need to build muscle by lifting heavy weights. losing fat won't help if you have no muscles developed underneath.

as for the weight, it depends on your build and body type. for instance i'm also 5'5 but i'm fairly muscular so 120 would be way unhealthy for me. for instance when i got my body fat tested, it turns out 134 pounds of my body is just lean tissue (skeleton, nerves, organs, muscle, etc). so unless i lose a lot of muscle and cut out some organs and limbs, weighing less than 155 would probably make me run into the unhealthy range.

RE: Toning vs building muscle
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/toning.htm
    It's a game of rhetoric. I think most people understand what I'm saying. But thanks mom.
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and shooting for around 130-135. That's right around the middle of what's considered a normal BMI for someone our height.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

So to tone up I have to lift weights? Pilates and stuff too? How do I get female abs?
  • diggly
    diggly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether 120 is your stable weight or not. I'm 5'6" (or just under) and my aim is 120 to 125lbs because it's where I've always been since 21 except for these last 2 years when I was eating crap. I'm now around 128lbs and have been doing cardio, just starting weight training. I would be happy with 125lbs with a more toned look rather than 120lbs with flabby arms (which I still have at 128lbs).