No Carbs for a Week

Options

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    If you eat zero carbs, up to 75% of your brain's fuel can come from ketones after a period of adaptation, and the other 25% must come from protein converted into glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis.

But as far as the no carbs for a week strategy, fat loss won't be as impressive as you think. You will deplete glycogen stores and shed a crapload of water (like 5-15 lbs depending on how big you are), and maybe you'll shed 1-2 lbs of fat, depending on your calorie intake really. Oh and you'll probably feel like garbage for a couple days.

But as soon as you reintroduce carbs your weight (water) will skyrocket so the scale won't do you any justice.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    www.dietaryguidelines.gov
    Click on "Poilicy Document". Everything you need to know about a sensible and practical diet is right there.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If you eat zero carbs, up to 75% of your brain's fuel can come from ketones after a period of adaptation, and the other 25% must come from protein converted into glucose through the process of gluconeogenesis.

But as far as the no carbs for a week strategy, fat loss won't be as impressive as you think. You will deplete glycogen stores and shed a crapload of water (like 5-15 lbs depending on how big you are), and maybe you'll shed 1-2 lbs of fat, depending on your calorie intake really. Oh and you'll probably feel like garbage for a couple days.

But as soon as you reintroduce carbs your weight (water) will skyrocket so the scale won't do you any justice.
    Agreed.. if you are currently eating the SAD which is around 300 grams a day and suddenly go to none you will feel horrible starting on about day 3.. carb flu anyone???
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    www.dietaryguidelines.gov
    Click on "Poilicy Document". Everything you need to know about a sensible and practical diet is right there.

Don't get your dietary guidelines from government policy!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    carbs.gif
  • suziecue66
    Options
    There was an special on Dr. Oz the other day that said that a good way to lose weight is a high carb day and a low carb day varieting every other day, and one day of the week you can eat whatever you want. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works. Just an Idea if you want to try it.

Don't like Dr Oz but I do like the idea of some higher and some lower carbs days, especially if you also incorporate cheat days.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    carbs.gif

Acg67, looking at your impressive pics took a peek in your diary - do you alternate higher carb days with lower carb as that seems to be the pattern?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    carbs.gif

Acg67, looking at your impressive pics took a peek in your diary - do you alternate higher carb days with lower carb as that seems to be the pattern?

If you look at his photos, there is one in particular that reflects what he looks like on his 'high carb' day.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    There was an special on Dr. Oz the other day that said that a good way to lose weight is a high carb day and a low carb day varieting every other day, and one day of the week you can eat whatever you want. I haven't tried it so I don't know if it works. Just an Idea if you want to try it.

Does anyone know if this is what they call the Every-Other-Day diet? I have seen that on the internet, but of course you have to buy it to see what the actual plan is. Just curious.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options

I have tried this a couple times, and day 3 is the worst! Grouchy, irritable and sluggish
  • hersheyskiss
    Options
    You'll drop water weight, that will come back as soon as you reintroduce carbs
    I totally agree stick with something you can do for life it will come off slower but it will stay off.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options

You beat me to this.... OP must have missed this.... maybe OP should just eat yellow food!
  • jenny66
    jenny66 Posts: 6
    Options
    really bad idea...would not recommend it unless you like to *kitten* boulders.
  • HeatherLynnO
    HeatherLynnO Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ha,ha....my brain is still working, week 4 of "low carbs"....look at me type!! ;)
  • Natelywills
    Options
    You'll drop water weight, that will come back as soon as you reintroduce carbs
    Exactly...the main thing you're doing is depleting glycogen stores.

Exactly. No need to make yourself suffer through that to see a number on the scale that is NOT fat loss

Never thought of it that way, thanks!!
  • suziecue66
    Options
    carbs.gif

If you look at his photos, there is one in particular that reflects what he looks like on his 'high carb' day.

Was that really from a high carb day as photos are not marked?
  • challengeaccepted
    Options
    I do keto (ketogenic diet) which means I aim for 20 g net carbs a day. Zero carbs, for me, is insane. Educate yourself well about ketogenic diets and you'll do fine.

I've been doing it for a couple of months and I do fine. If you don't already consume enough water then you will probably lose a significant amount of weight during the first two weeks. Which will come back because it's water weight. The first 3 days or maybe longer you will might feel bad because of "keto flu" drink more water and up your sodium. Drink some chicken broth, it helps. You'll feel better once your body gets used to less carbs. I don't believe the "one week low carb" thing is going to have much effect in the long run.

I would really advise you to do something you can stick to long term. Maybe do low carb and count caloires 3 days of the week. Like, Monday, Wendesday and Friday. And just count calories the other days. I'm sure you'd get way better results that way instead of doing low carb (zero carb, in your case) for one week.

There is a keto group here on MFP, look for it and ask more questions there.

Check this out before you go on a low/zero carb diet. http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html#33MM

NAKE....NOT A KETO EXPERT.
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Before a Body Building comp(7 days)...... Mon -50 carbs tues 200(alternating) -- This shocks the body enough to lose some fat within 7 days---- The weight you lose will be temp at best with no carbs at all.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I'm not going to lie it was hard especially when i hit day three but it was sooooo worth it...I lost more weight that way and was thinking fo doing it again...

FEEL FREE TO ADD ME...IF YOU TRY ...I WILL TOO:)
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    very interesting thread.
    I was doing my best to eat paleo, bascically limiting carbs and sugar to those found in fruit. I lost weight FAST. but it was not sustainable for me.
    I was constantly hungry and tired.
    Then I just needed to eat carbs and crap again and totally binged. I'm now 3 lbs more than I was at my lowest when eating no carbs and struggling to get my good carb eating back in control. I'm also doing Insanity now so I'm always hungry.
    I also had no idea how much I missed oatmeal until I couldnt eat it.