Weight Loss Pills Advice

Options
Letter from a struggling myfitness pal (me)
Dear MFP,
I am beyond frustrated right now, and lately I've begun to consider my last resort...Diet pills. Does anyone know of any good weight loss pills out there? I know, they are not generally the best way to go; but if you know about my struggle you would understand that I'm not just looking for the easy way out. I've tried the good old diet and exercise thing since middle school (I'm now about to go into grad school). Now I NEED to see results. If your advice is to let me know that I should not take pills at all please let me know. But if you do know of any that you or someone you know has tried that has led you/them to drop the pounds and (most of all) keep it off, please let me know that as well.
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try to find a doctor-assisted weight loss program in your area. I lived in a rural area and there was one in my town. I'm now in a metropolitan area and there are several. I know what you're going through. Using phentermine to curb your appetite and get your mind to stop thinking about food 24/7 is well worth it. You'll get many people telling you not to do it. But if that is the tool that can get you to a place where your body can start operating the way its supposed to, then that is what it takes. My program also has a weekly injection of 3 amino acids that make your body's fat burning process more efficient. The eating plan is a lifestyle change. Its basically low carb. No more than 15 grams of complex carbs at any meal. .One half gram of protein for every pound of LEAN body weight if you are sedentary. 1 gram per every LEAN pound if you are active. Its also basically the Primal way. You can read my blog to get an idea of where I came from, weight-wise. I'm 44 lbs down now and I 'm about 1/3 of my way there. But I feel sooooo much better its not funny. Another thing I'm taking is glucaphage. You can read up on it but it basically keeps your blood sugar level more stable. About 2 months into the program I had to cut my blood pressure dosage by 50%. I hope to discontinue it by the time I hit my goal. Good luck with your journey. Feel free to friend me.
  • Andresbohorquez
    Options
    Oxy elite pro works very well I lost 20 pounds in about a month and a half not bad considering I had no clue on how to diet read djrections carefully ........ Best one is phenthermine only available by prescription from aweight ls center I would def go to a center it will teach u how to eat by suppresing ur appetite all the cravings will be gone and u can literally choose wat u eat also most will give u a weekly b12 hot .... It will give u more energy lost 27 pounds in 6 weeks
  • Ballay
    Ballay Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @ Andresbohorqu...looking at your weight loss tracker I take it that you've kept the weight off? I looked into elite pro and it sound like a good option. Unfortunately after doing a little research I found out that it would cause side effects with my medications.:(
  • salinasg1
    salinasg1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Adipex is a good one, it surpresses your appetite, its not a magic pill, you do need to eat right and exercise. It needs to be prescribed by your doctor. I used it a few years ago and lost about 50lbs in 3months, that how long my doctor will prescribe it for.
  • Kim28dav
    Kim28dav Posts: 50
    Options
    I am not one for weight loss pills but I have been drinking Shakeology from Beachbody and I love it!!!!!! It is a health drink not just a protein drink and I see a difference in my energy, digestion, weight loss. If you have any questions, just let me know :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had limited success with Alli. I find ALL the OTC pills make me too jittery and nervous that I go semi-psychotic. Even some of the prescription ones! I'm using diethylpropion now, it's similar to wellbutrin but without the funky side effects I had with it. It just takes the edge off the hunger so I can chose to eat better. But you'd need a doctor to get it. And you have to be obese or morbidly obese to get a doctor to prescribe it, usually.
    I'm on a medical weight loss plan. The support I get from everyone in the office is amazing. I just found an online source for all the foods they sell. The problem with these plans is they are very hard on your body. The doctor has to ensure your heart can take the pressure, as well as meet with you regularly to make sure you're okay. It can be VERY expensive, especially starting out. But if you've literally tried everything, it's a great choice.
  • Andresbohorquez
    Options
    Im currently off the phentermine and I can say its really not coming back I continue to eat as healthy and clean as I can feel free to look at my food diar I can say its really worked for me ............ I also take suppleents as b12 vitamins pref the.one. Based of methylcobalin the others are useless great for energy also I take a multivitamin in the morning as well as l cartinene it helps break down fat to be used as energy feel free to add il be more than happy to assist
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Definitely try phentermine if that's the route you're set on. I started taking them though for the wrong reasons and didn't lose for awhile...but I did lose in the beginning.
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    I don't like them BUT I HAD TO AT A POINT I KNOW WHERE YOUR COMING FROM...Go to your doctor which is what i think is best...everyone is different and will not have the same results so I don't want to tell you what worked for me and it may not work for you and I feel bad...

know im here and anyone reading feel free to send friend request and message if you need someone to talk to:)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think 90% of diet supplements are scams. Alli is the only FDA approved diet supplement, but you have to stick to a super low fat diet, or else it gives you terrible diarrhea and such. Still, it's actually been proven to be successful.

I take supplements, like a B-vitamin for energy. Some people will also take a green tea supplement, but most diet pills are just caffeine and other fillers, and not worth the money in my opinion. Some do have supplements in the, but then why not just take those?
  • leahbhollifield
    Options
    I took Phentermine/adipex for about 3 months to jump start my weight loss. I lost about 25 lbs, and I've kept that off and lost more by watching my intake and increasing my activity level. While I wasn't wild about taking diet pills, I knew I needed some help to break my attachment to food and help me reframe that association to food=fuel instead of food=comfort. I was under a doctor's supervision the entire time, and that is (IMHO) the only safe way to take a stimulant like Phentermine.
  • cdbravo
    cdbravo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine for the first two months, and did surprisingly well. I'm not taking it anymore, and don't seem to need it anymore, but it was a godsend when I was starting out, and struggling. It helps keep you from feeling like you are starving, and after a couple of months you won't need it anymore because you will have shrunken your stomach by then. Ask your doctor before going to an expensive clinic.
  • amberjean30
    amberjean30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't do adipex!! my doctor and I just talked about these pills. She refuses to prescribe them because they cause a heart condition that CAN NOT be fixed. doctor's prescribe them to patients for 3 months, they go off 'em, and most ppl put the weight right back on plus. A very good friend of mine was taking them and she started dropping pounds like crazy, but her doc never mentioned the side effects to her. I'm sure they are in an insert with the prescription, but how many ppl read those, or take em seriously. My doc says they are one of, if not the number one, most dangerous drugs out there. Plus you have to keep going to the doctor like every 2wks or something to be weighed............all they are are $$$$$$ signs to the doctor. I have another friend who takes alli, but instead of 3 a day like it says, she only takes one around lunch time and she says that is working for her. Slimquick worked for me, I just got lazy and stopped taking them last year. I hope you find something that works for you, just make sure you do a lot of research before you decide
  • bmac1996acc
    Options
    Just started taking Oxyelite Pro so I can't speak to it's ability to aid in weight loss. The first few days I took it I was mad because I didn't feel the typical thermogenic feel I've had with other pills. After a few days though it has me feeling jacked up all day long. Best thing I've tried since ephedra based supplements were taken off the market. If for some reason you can't take it, You could try BetaStax. Works pretty well but nothing like Oxyelite Pro.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I was on them, I started with Bontril....it causes anxiety I think, but it works....while you are on it....it is prescription and it suppresses the CNS, you wont feel hungry AT ALL and you will have to force yourself to eat....you have to see the doc monthly and can only get the script filled one month at a time. (if your doc knows what he is doing) You can become dependent on them. they can give you super bad headaches after awhile, they did me. Six months was the amt of time you can be on them then I think we switched...I stockpiled them, only took one every other day, you eventually become used to them and they stop working, hence the time limit.

2nd one was adipex, less anxiety, more dry mouth, heart palpitations....they too work....but again you become immune and must find something new....once you go off them you gain all the weight back....its a vicious cycle.

I had good results on them though, I lost 40 lbs, but the side effects of the bontril were far worse then adipex, the thing is the phentermine is the safer part of the banned drug phen phen.

Be careful, I still have mine, I take one every now and then, they also will keep you awake and make your heart race....so I use them once in awhile cause I work night shift....:0
  • scott1080
    scott1080 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Definitely try phentermine if that's the route you're set on. I started taking them though for the wrong reasons and didn't lose for awhile...but I did lose in the beginning.
    after yers of struggling and trying every diet pill out there have finally had success after going to a doctor and being put on phentermine and a strict diet. now after a year losing 52 lbs since last july. but one thing is for sure since the holidays my diet has been less than perfect but not horrible the weight is not coming off as fast. so in my opinion which i have told people how i lost the weight because they think its a magic pill. 10 years i have stuggled with my weight and taken pills i have finally came to reality and realized without a proper diet and exersize you can take all the pills you want..did it help yes did i need the pill maybe in my mind i did dont know...either way good luck and stay strong
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    They can be a helpful tool under Dr supervision, and I mean strict supervision. Your dr should monitor blood work to make sure you are eating and you should seek advice from a nutritionist. If you do not adjust your behavior and commit to lifestyle changes, this risk is not worth it. If your Dr is worth anything, he will not continue to let you have them if you aren't following strict rules.
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recommendations for Oxyelite Pro. I've been on the pills for a little over two weeks and my weight loss has accelerated. The pills don't keep me up at night, no heart palpitations, or dry mouth like other diet pills. I didn't even think they were doing anything until I started seeing the results.

One warning though... I've been REALLY hungry since I started. Not sure if it's mental or what, but I've been ravenous (even though I am working out as hard as usual and eating within the same calorie range).
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Like most have said, if this is the direction you're wanting to go, definitely see a doctor who specializes in this. Most will check your thyroids and go over what you have done. What works, and what doesn't. I did go see a doctor, and he took my blood, and checked my thyroid and stuff. He gave me a nutritional "diet" plan to stick to.. All three meals and snacks for the week.. He also gave me a B12 shot, and some diet pills. I didn't stick with any of it though. It just honestly didn't "work" for me. I hated how the diet pills made me feel, and I didn't see any results. They gave me TONS of energy. So much that if i took half of one at 6am, i couldn't sleep until about 4am the next morning, and I had to be right back up at 6.. Not to mention it gave me TERRIBLE mood swings. I saw on the consent form that it could cause "psychological effects". As a psychology major this really worried me. I asked the doctor about it and he told me "don't worry about that". I notice after taking one, I get EXTREMELY HAPPY, in such a great mood...and within just a few hours, I am super pissed and I don't want to deal with or talk to anyone. For me, it wasn't worth it. I am a very happy person, and would rather not "come down" from this "drug". I would say, take B12 pills, it's just b12 vitamin, and will give you energy and boost your metabolism. Take multivitamins. Eat more veggies than you can stand, eat fruit when you get a sweet tooth. Buy plates that contrast with your food so when you're fixing a meal you don't over load your plate. Use a small plate VS and large plate. Remember, as humans we're only supposed to eat about the size of our fists. Eat six small meals instead of three large and three snacks... Eat the most in the morning, so that your body burns it through the day..Through out the day eat smaller and smaller meals..Eat when you're hungry, but not when you're bored or upset. Give into your cravings, but in moderation. Don't deprive yourself. Work harder when your mind is telling you you're too tired. Drink tons of water, and have patience. GOOD LUCK :)
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree with the recommendations for Oxyelite Pro. I've been on the pills for a little over two weeks and my weight loss has accelerated. The pills don't keep me up at night, no heart palpitations, or dry mouth like other diet pills. I didn't even think they were doing anything until I started seeing the results.

One warning though... I've been REALLY hungry since I started. Not sure if it's mental or what, but I've been ravenous (even though I am working out as hard as usual and eating within the same calorie range).

You're probably hungry because it's kicking up your metabolism! :):) Just eat clean! :))