Multivitamins make my stomach hurt :(

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The adult gummies have a fruit flavor. The ones I mentioned have about 3-4 different colors/tastes, but are all pleasant to the taste.
  • msjodileigh
    Options
    Keep in mind that no matter what kind of vitamins you're taking or when, you always need to take them with food! Otherwise a lot of the vitamins and minerals will not be absorbed properly. That may help with your nausea, but if it doesn't I would stick to chewables!
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try Flintstone vitamins. I took two a day when pregnant. If its good for kids, and pregnant women, why wouldn't it work for the rest of the population?

I still do this. Currently we have gummy spiderman vitamins. Yum.
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    I tried vitamins a while back but ended up in hospital for what I thought was heart attack.
    All test come back negative for that so unsure what happened.
    My stomach today is still not right so beware.
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone! I'm thinking I'm gonna go out and get some Flinstones vitamins now teehee :blushing:

Viactive makes a chewable multi-vit as well :)
  • latinahada
    latinahada Posts: 168
    Options
    I agree with those that say the chewables...I have never had a problem with the tablets, I just prefer the chewables!!
  • Carboni82
    Options
    This happened to me before. Does the vitamin have a coating to it? It could be that. Are you taking it on an empty stomach? That may also be the issue. I would switch to a different brand and see how that goes and don't take it on an empty stomach. The ones that gave me an issue had a coating on the outside.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The iron gets me too, so I don't take vitamins with iron. One serving of cream of wheat has 50% of your iron for the day at about 130 calories. If you can slip a couple of servings into your calorie budget you can get your iron easily without the stomach ache.
  • Smudjie
    Smudjie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    When hubby takes the vitamins with minerals they make him sick...very nauseous. So we switched to the Life brand with no minerals.
  • jenbooks
    jenbooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I dunno about hurt, but if I take them on an empty stomach (ie - morning) then I get extremely nauseous.
  • 1fiercebutterfly
    1fiercebutterfly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    multivitamins made from food are not going to make your stomach hurt. also you could try a liquid. The only kind i can take (liquid) that doesn't taste like vomit is Source of Life by Natures Plus. A cheaper vegetable based multivitamin would be the brand Rainbow Light. they are much cheaper than New Chapter and Garden of Life and Megafood Great whole food multivitamins if you can afford the steep cost).

you can eat food on an "empty stomach"- multi vitamins are a supplement that is supposed to come from food. so why would you not be able to take them on an empty stomach or on a full stomach. food based multivitamins are 100% absorbable. get a food based multi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:
  • razzline
    razzline Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Usually a vitamin that's hurting your stomach is from the Iron content. Try a brand with lower Iron. Good luck to you.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Try a chewable. Also note that iron is very hard on the tummy so if your vitamin contains iron try one without and see if that is better. I don't take a vitamin. I eat nutritous food and almost always get 100 RDA.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My Multi Vitamin is in liquid form ... " Vita Gel " ... you can get it with or without iron ... which tends to be the culprit to some upset tummies. It's available at Vitamin World.

Also, always try to take it during the " middle " of a full meal. That way there is food / substance before it goes in ... and then the food after can be used as a barrier if you will from sitting in your system too long.

The " gel " is absorbed instantly ... a capsule is just ... well it takes a REALLY long time to dissolve.

Hope this helps ! Best of luck ! :smile:
  • confuzzledwife
    Options
    same here. I tried taking a vitamin before eating, after eating, different times of the day and I got so sick to my stomach. I ended up finding a chewable one, Centrum chewable, that I can tolerate with NO problems!
  • ChristineW82
    ChristineW82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Multivitamins always did this to me too, didn't matter what brand. They would make me feel nauseated and sickly after taking them. I take mine right at bedtime now and haven't had any stomach problems due to them lately.

Here I thought I was alone on this because I had an ulcer and have a very sensitive stomach. :frown:
  • thinmintme
    thinmintme Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Multi vitamins always make me sick to my stomach. No clue why.
    I just take my supplements separately.
    Per doctor's orders I'm on Vitamin D 2,000IU daily, iron 325mg twice daily and then I also take a b-vtiamin complex, fish oil and vitamin E once a day.
    For now, that's all I'm really needing. And it doesn't upset my stomach. I've had bad experiences with multivitamins in the past, most resulting in me puking my guts out. T^T Not cool.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    If your multivitamin has iron in it, that could be it. Look for one without it and see if that helps, thats what worked for me.
  • Partyofpugs
    Partyofpugs Posts: 105
    Options
    .I can't handle oral iron. I was very anemic and had to have IV iron infusions. I was always sick when I tried to take iron supplements. Also, sometimes childrens vitamins are easier to handle. You just have to take more of them.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Often the iron in multivitamins is the culprit for abdominal pain. I take viactiv multivitamins because they don't contain iron. Since I switched I haven't had any stomach pains/GI upset. It's worth a try. The best time to take them is in the morning with food. Hope that helps!

I can't take vitamins with iron either. I take GNC ultra mega with no iron and feel fine.