Best of both worlds???

Options
Ok - I read and read and read ... there seem to be some who think that you should do the HIT stuff to lose weight and others say stay in the "fat burning" heart rate to lose maximum weight.

So I had a theory - If I do 30-40 minutes of HIT/or intense cardiovascular where I am in the 85%-90% heart heart rate area & then do some weights and then do 30 - 40 minutes of swimming/water jogging where my heart rate is in the "fat burning" range --- wouldn't I be getting the best of both worlds?

IE would this encourage maximum weight loss (when combined with dieting?)

Thoughts???

Replies

• diagyrl
    diagyrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    So you are going to work out for how long each day?

To be blunt losing weight comes down to diet > exercise. Running 3 miles might burn 500 calories, but that gets erased with one bad meal.

Also, IMHO, if you are doing HIIT 30-40 mins then you aren't really doing High Intensity Interval Training. Anytime I really do HIIT, I am gases after 20mins. and trying not to puke. I do it after my lifting cause if I did not then I would never get to the lifting.
  • diagyrl
    diagyrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So you are going to work out for how long each day?

To be blunt losing weight comes down to diet > exercise. Running 3 miles might burn 500 calories, but that gets erased with one bad meal.

Also, IMHO, if you are doing HIIT 30-40 mins then you aren't really doing High Intensity Interval Training. Anytime I really do HIIT, I am gases after 20mins. and trying not to puke. I do it after my lifting cause if I did not then I would never get to the lifting.

Thank you for your reply -

I realize that diet is a HUGE component of this & I am working at sticking to about 1500 calories per day or less if I can manage it. MFP has suggested that I eat 1780 per day based on my BMR (this is before exercise.) I am NOT adding my exercise calories back in because I think that I have an EXTREMELY EFFICIENT metabolism and I probably need fewer calories then is being alloted.

I want to maximize fat loss - from my reading there seem to be two schools of thought (fat burning heart rate & the HIT heart rate) --- Because I am so out of shape & overweight & on the start of this very long journey I am sure that my personal version of HIT is laughable to most - but I am trying to do resistance bands alternating with really intense high cario on the 85-90% heart rate range - then back to resistance bands(or core training moves or weights)- then back to the really intense high cardio .... repeat until I feel as if I am going to die/barf/cry (or at least 30 min with a goal of aiming for 40) and prob not in that order.

But then I assume that those in the 'fat burning' heart rate camp would say that I hadn't been burning fat that way --- so I was thinking if I then drag myself into the pool to swim for 30 - 40 minutes or go on a treadmill for 30 - 40 minutes keeping my heart in the fat burning range that perhaps I would be accomplishing the best of both worlds.

This being said - I am a beginner here and I am looking to others with greater experience and knowledge to try and accomplish all that I can for weight loss. (I was also reading about the intermittant fasting on here and that looks as if it might be doable!)

Thanks again - any thoughts/critiques are appreciated!!!