Free Weights Vs. Machines??

Options
Hi all, I finally joined a gym and love it!
In the past, I've done free weights at home and seen good results but since joining the gym I haven't been interested in my weights.
From your experience--which method yield better results?

Replies

• Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

If your not interested in free weights the answer would be that machines are slightly better than nothing.

If your not intimidated by them or have some physical condition that limits you then free weights are vastly superior.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Free weights are better then machines in every way except machines being easier.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Free weights are superior to machines, but don't discount machines all together. With free weights you are able to hit a wider range of motion, instead of a fixed range with machines. However, machines are safer and allow you to push yourself more without fear of getting injured. That being said, I use free weights 99% of the time.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My goals are to tone and build lean muscle.
    The machines are easier but I only have 2 weight sizes I have at home are 5 and 8 lbs. On the machines I use up to 30-40 lbs of weight depending on the circuit and I'm comfortable with that.
  • Breedy75
    Options
    Free weights are superior to machines, but don't discount machines all together. With free weights you are able to hit a wider range of motion, instead of a fixed range with machines. However, machines are safer and allow you to push yourself more without fear of getting injured. That being said, I use free weights 99% of the time.

Machines have a fixed range of motion and do not apply to practical real world applications. Doing a lot of weight on machine XYZ is only good for saying, "I can do a lot of weight on machine XYZ."

The only two I ever use are the Leg Extension and Hamstring curls.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The machines are easier but I only have 2 weight sizes I have at home are 5 and 8 lbs. On the machines I use up to 30-40 lbs of weight depending on the circuit and I'm comfortable with that.

I'd go free weights then - your gym should have some.
    Grab a friend to help spot you if you're worried about injury.

Don't forget that the pulley system of the machines will always take a percentage of the "weight" you're lifting on them - you never lift 100% of the chosen weight.
  • Breedy75
    Options

I'd go free weights then - your gym should have some.
    Grab a friend to help spot you if you're worried about injury.

Don't forget that the pulley system of the machines will always take a percentage of the "weight" you're lifting on them - you never lift 100% of the chosen weight.

It actually is a moving pulley that provides the mechanical advantage. A cable routed around a single non-moving pulley is a change of direction and still requires the same amount of force, just direct in another plane.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

if you're comfortable, then you more than likely arent lifting enough weight to build muscle. building muscle means you use a weight that's a bit uncomfortable, not necessarily painful, but it should be enough weight that you're being challenged
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    free weights... you don't need a gym to maintain your workouts... you can replace the exercises with a band when you travel, and if done properly, you will be using the correct muscles to do the exercises... vs wedging feet under something to get your weight up..when with a free weight you have to use your core
  • LovelyLibra79
    Options
    I tried lifting 10 lbs at the gym doing "arm curls" and felt my muscles "pulling". I was a little scared that I would hurt myself so I reduced the weight to 8lbs...is that normal??
  • chickenmcv
    Options

Machines have a fixed range of motion and do not apply to practical real world applications. Doing a lot of weight on machine XYZ is only good for saying, "I can do a lot of weight on machine XYZ."

Right, because having a 400 pound bench press has a real world practical application? Maybe if I need to push a large person off of me, but this seems unlikely...

Hey OP, listen, you do what makes you comfortable. It's true that machines do have a fixed range of motion, so you aren't necessarily engaging different groups of muscles that you would using free weights. That said, I don't think that's a big deal. I took a year in the gym before I was comfortable enough to move over to free weights. They can be really scary and I took my time moving over. On top of that, when you start lifting, there's a huge mental thing you have to get past, and you aren't going to do that by going in your first day and being stuck on a bench press. Start with machines, get comfortable, and if you feel at some point you are ready to move over to free weights, do so. Ask a friend to show you proper form, go light, and work on technique. As far as weight goes, again, do what makes you comfortable. Yes, you should feel like the weight you use is a challenge, but I think people so far are forgetting that what is considered a challenge is a relative term. If you don't want to, you don't need to be busting your *kitten* sweating and yelling and feeling like your muscles are going to explode. There are certainly days for that, and if you feel like you're at a good spot where you want a workout like that, then by all means, load up the weights and go crazy. But you're just starting out. Go slow, take it easy on the weights, and increase as you feel comfortable. I've got plenty of days in the gym where I don't feel like loading up the weights, so I just do something to get a workout in. No big deal.

So short version, for what you are going for, machines are just fine. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Do what makes you comfortable.

Happy lifting!
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tried lifting 10 lbs at the gym doing "arm curls" and felt my muscles "pulling". I was a little scared that I would hurt myself so I reduced the weight to 8lbs...is that normal??
    You should feel the muscle pulling because that's what muscle do...they pull. I may not be understanding what you mean by "pulling".

If you use proper form and do the motion with slow movements and no jerking, you won't hurt yourself. If the weight is too heavy you simply won't be able to work the muscle for the optimal 45 seconds. You should feel the muscle burn the longer you work it. However, you should stop if you feel any other sort of pain. Increase the resistance slowly over a period of months until you're finally working to absolute muscle failure in the 45-90 seconds per set range. Do 2-3 exercises per major muscle group per workout and only workout each muscle group once per week.

Good luck and good health!!

Ref: http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    From your experience--which method yield better results?
    Results have more to do with your knowledge and expertise than with the equipment. Machines and free weight both have advantages and disadvantages. For example, machines can use cams which will maintain a constant resistance throughout the full range of motion. Pneumatic machines will allow you to change the resistance on the fly by controlling arm work with the feet and leg work with the hands. Free weights allow for greater latitude of motion so you can change the muscle being worked on the fly providing greater versatility that machines.

The exercise and equipment only target the muscle group. It is the brain that controls which of the group is being worked at any point in the exercise. For example, a bench press can work the pecs but the brain can turn it into a good tricep and/or anterior deltoid exercise.

It is crucial to understand that your body has no choice but to follow your brain and, therefor, fitness begins and ends by feeding your brain a steady diet of good information. Unfortunately the world of strength training and the internet are full of bad information, myths, and misconceptions. So, be very careful about where you get your information regarding training. If you have a good rudimentary understanding of anatomy, kinesiology, and physiology, it won't matter so much what equipment you use.

Recommended reading --> http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18
  • LovelyLibra79
    Options

Right, because having a 400 pound bench press has a real world practical application? Maybe if I need to push a large person off of me, but this seems unlikely...

Hey OP, listen, you do what makes you comfortable. It's true that machines do have a fixed range of motion, so you aren't necessarily engaging different groups of muscles that you would using free weights. That said, I don't think that's a big deal. I took a year in the gym before I was comfortable enough to move over to free weights. They can be really scary and I took my time moving over. On top of that, when you start lifting, there's a huge mental thing you have to get past, and you aren't going to do that by going in your first day and being stuck on a bench press. Start with machines, get comfortable, and if you feel at some point you are ready to move over to free weights, do so. Ask a friend to show you proper form, go light, and work on technique. As far as weight goes, again, do what makes you comfortable. Yes, you should feel like the weight you use is a challenge, but I think people so far are forgetting that what is considered a challenge is a relative term. If you don't want to, you don't need to be busting your *kitten* sweating and yelling and feeling like your muscles are going to explode. There are certainly days for that, and if you feel like you're at a good spot where you want a workout like that, then by all means, load up the weights and go crazy. But you're just starting out. Go slow, take it easy on the weights, and increase as you feel comfortable. I've got plenty of days in the gym where I don't feel like loading up the weights, so I just do something to get a workout in. No big deal.

So short version, for what you are going for, machines are just fine. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Do what makes you comfortable.

Happy lifting!

Thank you sir! :)
    I do see the guys @ the gym using the machines more so for the leg exercise and doing upper body in the weight area with free weights....I wanted to ask someone there but i was being shy!
  • LovelyLibra79
    Options
    You should feel the muscle pulling because that's what muscle do...they pull. I may not be understanding what you mean by "pulling".

If you use proper form and do the motion with slow movements and no jerking, you won't hurt yourself. If the weight is too heavy you simply won't be able to work the muscle for the optimal 45 seconds. You should feel the muscle burn the longer you work it. However, you should stop if you feel any other sort of pain. Increase the resistance slowly over a period of months until you're finally working to absolute muscle failure in the 45-90 seconds per set range. Do 2-3 exercises per major muscle group per workout and only workout each muscle group once per week.

Ref: http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=18
    Hey there!
    I can't really describe how it feels other than a "pull".I can feel the muscle stretching when I release the weight..it was quite uncomfortable but not painful.

VERY HELPFUL tips my friend on doing the circuits..I had no clue only to work the muscle groups once a week! :noway:
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    bump