The freeweight 'section' of the gym

Options
I had a session with my personal trainer today, and I went to the free weight side of the gym for the first time.

I know I'm generalizing here, but whenever I think of 'that side' of the gym, I think of extremely fit guys who are sizing each other up and will judge me for being there. I hardly ever see chicks in that area, and I got an amazing workout with a trainer today, but honestly, I'm scared to go back and do a workout without him.
I've come a long ways with my fitness, but I'm not in the best shape, and I just feel very stared at.

Any guys who frequent the free weights out there want to tell me why it seems like a no-woman land?
Or maybe it's just the gym I go to :/

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There always seems to be some sizing up in gyms, unfortunately. But don't let that bother you. You might get more stares just because you're a woman, but that's just like you said, there's not many women in there. Just focus on you and you'll be fine. And most of the guys in there don't work out right anyway. I've seen it so many times where a big guy will just throw around weights for the look of it, but with horrible form so he's not really working out any thing. Just listen to your trainer on how to do the lifts properly and you'll be fitter than all those guys on "that side".
  • gtunlimited
    gtunlimited Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just stare them out right back with a "WHAT?" You have just as much right and as much to gain being there. Just my opinion. :-) its just coz they are used to seeing girls only foolishly on ttreadmills or ellipticals so its probably just a bit of shock or even admiration.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    They're probably checking to see if you pick up the pink 2lb dumb bells or you're serious and go with something heavier.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The reason it "seems" like no woman's land is due to simple perception. Even in this climate of fitness of the 21 century there are several women and some men who believe weights are for men. I've heard several women assume they'll gain massive muscle like a man by simply lifting weights.

Quite a few guys will stare at a woman in the weight room simply because that's what SOME men do :laugh: Personally for me I pay attention to one thing when I'm in the gym.... my workout.

If a guy stares just ignore him or give him one of those "WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT" stares right back.
  • mlapanowski
    mlapanowski Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I suppose I just need to man up :x

And I definitely don't just use 2lb weights to work out.
    Go hard or go home, right?
  • mreenis
    mreenis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    please dont feel intimidated by the weights room. A few workouts in there will make you familiar and more comfortable.
    Just go about your routine and ignore those that make you feel uncomfortable. Soon the guys will not even notice you , some will begin to talk to you and even help you out at times. I am a 61 year old female and train in a predominately male gym. I have been training weights for 17 years and class myself as a recreational bodybuilder. I now lift heavier than a lot of the men and with good form, but do remember feeling much the same as you initially Dont give up on that which you enjoy and something that you will greatly benefit from.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I had a session with my personal trainer today, and I went to the free weight side of the gym for the first time.

I know I'm generalizing here, but whenever I think of 'that side' of the gym, I think of extremely fit guys who are sizing each other up and will judge me for being there. I hardly ever see chicks in that area, and I got an amazing workout with a trainer today, but honestly, I'm scared to go back and do a workout without him.
    I've come a long ways with my fitness, but I'm not in the best shape, and I just feel very stared at.

Any guys who frequent the free weights out there want to tell me why it seems like a no-woman land?
    Or maybe it's just the gym I go to :/

I feel the same and even if I was with my husband who frequents this area I think I would still feel strange! But I'm going to brave it tommorow!!! U should do the same..what's the worst thing that could possibly happen??? U get in amazing shape?? Honestly I think women over think this area of the gym (including me) everyone there has a similar goal...to look great... I doubt anyone would knock u for trying!!!

Good luck!