red lentil curry

Options
8oz.- red lentils
24oz.- water
8oz.- mirepoix (celery,onions & carrots)
4oz. coconut milk
1 1/2 cups of peeled and dice eggplant
1 1/2 cups of diced apples
1 heaping tb. spoon of curry powder
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of black pepper
pinch of Salt

In a 3 qt. pot on high heat add oil and saute your mirepoix and eggplant until caramelized. Add water, lentils, curry, and spices. Bring to a rolling boil. Stirring occasionally. Lower heat down to med cover and cook for 15 minutes. At this point add coconut milk and incorporate well.ten more minutes.stir occasionally. Add apples. set heat to low and cook ten minutes more..

I made this for my kids and I three night ago and it was fantastic!!!!!!

Share your opinions...

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing *_* I might have to improv (cost of apples, celery hard to find where i live), but will give this a try.

Thank you so much for sharing!!

PS: Lucky kids you've got! :)
  • chefabitino
    Options
    Thank You.
    Sorry to hear you can't find Apples and celery.
    The celery can be removed but the apples play a big part in flavor.
    I don't know where you live, but perhaps you can substitute for jicama or beets.
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yum this sounds great!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Lentils scare me, but I love curry. I might have to try this.
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    Sound good, I was looking for a red lentil recipe.
  • 1funkyboy
    Options
    Ive got the pot on now -- will be ready in 5mins

I had to have a taste as i stirred -- this is amaZing

Thankyou

PS - any idea of a breakdown of cals on this one, per serving
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I make something similiar to this with green lentils, a heap of red/yellow pepper/courgettes/potatoes, raisins/cranberries/boiled chicken and a load of garam masala/curry powder, chicken stock/tin chopped tomoatoes and tin of coconut milk. Yummo.

THe best thing about recipes like yours/mine is that they taste better reheated/from frozen. Pity my kids wouldn't touch it with a barge pole though!
  • Tortoisegirl7
    Tortoisegirl7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This sounds great. I needed a way to use up my lentils, thanks
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump, looks delicious!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This sounds great , thanks for sharing.
    I used to make dahl all the time, with a pretty similar recipe, though without the apples.
    My husband is not a fan of either vegetarian or Indian food, but he's going to be away for a while, so I"ll try it out then :)

PS. Labrat, don't be scared, the lentils will probably kind of disappear into the sauce and just make it thick and delicious!
  • 1funkyboy
    Options
    Yep Rubybelle

You were right 'the lentils did disappear into the sauce and just make it thick and delicious'
  • comet_wow
    comet_wow Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I haven't tried coconut milk like this but we do something similar with our red lentils - we use tinned tomatoes and grated carrot rather than apples. I also like to add thin slices of garlic, fried fast in the oil you are going to use to cook the celery etc. (The garlic is browned and lifted from the oil - then chopped and added on top of the sauce at the end. It is crispy and delicious!) Lentils make such a lovely sauce - and I agree that they are even better after the dish is kept and reheated. They cook really well in a slow cooker too. (First part of recipe is the same - just leave the combined ingredients in the slow cooker all day. I guess that in this case the milk should be added at the end?)
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Oh yummy, this sounds great nice and healthy and not too expensive to make. Will have to wait until the hubby is away though because he cant eat lentils :grumble:
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Quick question: I assume the water and coconut milk is measured in fluid oz, but are the lentils and mirepoix in fluid oz also (as in 1 cup of each) or dry weight (as in half a pound of each)? I'm just thrown off because some ingredients are listed in cups while the others are in oz.
  • kimmieMcF
    kimmieMcF Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been looking for a red lentil recipe! Thank you. I'll try it tonight.
  • chefabitino
    Options
    Ive got the pot on now -- will be ready in 5mins

I had to have a taste as i stirred -- this is amaZing

Thankyou

PS - any idea of a breakdown of cals on this one, per serving

I am breaking it down at the moment. I will post when done!
    Please keep in mind, that the calories in this dish are deceiving. The majority are from the good fat. (olive oil, coconut milk, apple)
    Being a Chef, when I cook I use good and healthy ingredients. So I tend not to let the calories scare me. By the end of the day I always end up not using all my calories intake anyway. But I know I am eating healthy!
    My body loves me know.. lol
  • chefabitino
    Options
    Lentils scare me, but I love curry. I might have to try this.

Why? They don't bite!
  • chefabitino
    Options
    I make something similiar to this with green lentils, a heap of red/yellow pepper/courgettes/potatoes, raisins/cranberries/boiled chicken and a load of garam masala/curry powder, chicken stock/tin chopped tomoatoes and tin of coconut milk. Yummo.

THe best thing about recipes like yours/mine is that they taste better reheated/from frozen. Pity my kids wouldn't touch it with a barge pole though!

WOW! sounds yummy as well as healthy. Perhaps I would sub the potatoes for yams. Much better for you.
    as for the kids, mine grew up with me in the restaurant and they eat EVERYTHING!!!!!!
  • chefabitino
    Options
    Quick question: I assume the water and coconut milk is measured in fluid oz, but are the lentils and mirepoix in fluid oz also (as in 1 cup of each) or dry weight (as in half a pound of each)? I'm just thrown off because some ingredients are listed in cups while the others are in oz.

Good Question. again being a chef I sometimes measure by eye. But here is a quick trick. If you have a food scale this will help out a bunch. Here's how. If something like carrots, celery, onions...etc.. Just weigh them as they are.. solids by the ounce. Your liquids are different, use a measuring cup ..
    all in all you can never have too much vegetables..It wouldn't change your recipe to a point of dislike!
    hope this helped...