Help me figure out how to eat while traveling

Options
crux
crux Posts: 454 Member
So you’re heading to a foreign but western county (familiar food and take away options) for a week of work away from home. Staying in hotels but moving around most days. You have flexibility in weather you eat at restaurants use room service or buy food to take back to your hotel room.

What’s your strategy for staying ‘on diet’ ? what would you eat?

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    So you’re heading to a foreign but western county (familiar food and take away options) for a week of work away from home. Staying in hotels but moving around most days. You have flexibility in weather you eat at restaurants use room service or buy food to take back to your hotel room.

What’s your strategy for staying ‘on diet’ ? what would you eat?

Room service is too damn expensive.. But I guess if its work and its covered thats a different story.

Why not get a room with a kitchenette>?
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Work out low calorie meals at a variety of takeout places. If you find something healthier, great! But if not you know you still won't blow it by eating at a chain. x
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Go with this, aim to have 1/4Protein, 1/4Carbs (complex) and 1/2Veg for your meals! When you snack, aim to have protein or protein with a bit of carbs so it slows down your digestion! Limit high fatty, high sugary drinks and get a bolt load of water down you! If there's a gym where you are, 30 mins a day will also help!

Poached eggs on toast or proper porridge are great breakfasts.
    Salads or non creamy soups with some protein are great for lunch.
    Stir fry or steak and roasted veg are great for an evein meal!

Just remember, quality and nutrion wise...crap in = crap out. Aim to nourish your body and lay off the processed stuff as much as possible! If it has a mother or was picked from the land, they are going to be your best options!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Sadly, my best answer is salads. If there's one on the menu, grab it. I'm an egg eater, so it's not too hard finding an acceptable breakfast - eggs, ham, whole wheat toast. I eat a lot of granola bars, so I might just pack a lot of them for in between meal snacks. And anything saying "grilled chicken". Soups can be diet busters, or they can be perfect. Maybe a broth based soup.

Good luck!
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I usually either go all inclusive, so I can choose the food I want from the buffet and have as much or as little as i want as I am in charge of the portion sizes! Or I will go self catering, and find a reasonalbly priced local supermarket... the nutritional value should be on the products if it is a western country, so then you can do as you do at home! For a treat I will eat out on the last night ( and maybe mid week!) and taste the cuisine of the country... within my dietry limits!
  • NicolaNash
    Options
    This is my life as well - I'm constantly living out of hotels for work (and those that don't have kitchens/fridges etc). Depending on where you are I do a mix of room service (looking for healthier options - also ask them to not put on certain spreads etc, they can tweak the dishes for you), eating out (but I look up the menu first and choose in advance and make this work in my diary) and going to a shop and buying something.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Porridge is great for breakfast in a hotel room. Easy to pack, doesn't go off. If you like to add dried fruit, that's easy to keep too.
    In civilised countries, hotels have kettles. If you can eat porridge made with water, you don't need milk.

Sliced salmon doesn't keep but is nice if you're making sandwiches in your room.