losing weight but jeans stil dont fit! whats up with that?!

Options
So before I got pregnant I weighed 150. At the time of labor I was 170. I had my baby 6 weeks ago and I am currently down to 142... yet my pre-pregnancy jeans dont fit me anymore! What am I doing wrong?? My legs, face, and belly all look so much smaller than I was pre pregnancy... did my hips get wider or something? Is this normal?

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hips can get wider I believe as may not go back to original position after opening up to accommodate pregnancy. Also I see it's been only six weeks since birth may still take time for hips to go back in.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You probably lost weight in other regions than where your jeans sit (the hip area). I'm sorry you're not seeing the results you want yet... But a 8lb loss is really good, and please remember that jeans size means absolutely nothing. What's important is how you feel, and you know you've made good progress.
  • farm_mamaX9
    Options
    Is this your first baby? If so, then your hips will never be the same again. You now have woman hips not little girl hips. More than likely jeans from the junior section in the store will no longer fit how you want them to. You'll probably need to shop for some new ones in the misses section. You aren't any fatter, just hippy-er. Which makes a woman beautiful, IMO. :-) Congratulations on the new baby!!
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    Yes! This is exactly what happened to me - my hips are wider since giving birth. I like it though as I didn't really have any hips to speak of before, they were really narrow! They haven't gone back down - I've given birth to two babies now and my second one is 4 months old. I think it happens to quite a few people, especially if you have narrow hips to begin with.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Have you shopped for new shoes yet? Feet can get bigger too.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    you lost so much weight and you feel your body is smaller than when you were pregnant! you are doing so well! dont mind the old pair of jeans! just get new ones!
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Having a baby spreads your pelvis and hips and so if this was your first kid maybe your hips got wider. Check your measurements.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Oh what I wouldn't give to have my pre-pregnancy body back!

No, you're not going insane, your body has changed. Look at the bright side - you get to go buy new clothes. :-)
  • eleblanc999
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your wonderful insight! I suppose it's time to shop for a new wardrobe. That's alright though because I look better in dress pants anyways, and they seem to fit a lot nicer. I actually feel like I have a nicer body now than I did before I got pregnant... well besides for my tummy. I dont think I will ever be able to wear a bikini again haha.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Here's a little bit of info that may help you feel better:

When you are pregnant the hormones in your body loosen ALL of your ligaments. Ligaments help hold your body together. This is also why you're not suppose to lift heavy things while pregnant, because you can easily injure YOURSELF from the changes to your body caused by the hormones. The reason your body loosens those ligaments is exactly the reason people have been stating. Your pelvis needs to widen to get that baby out! In the 8-12 weeks after child birth those ligaments will harden again, but probably slightly bigger than they were before you were pregnant.

So there's the "scientific" reason behind wider hips after child birth lol. This doesn't happen to everyone, but it does happen! I had a friend who wore a "belt" thing after the births of both her kids, and she managed to put her hips "back" to where they belong. Again, that won't work for everyone, but it did for her. Also, I think genetics will have alot to say in this department as well :)
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You are doing great! You just had the baby 6 weeks ago, your body is still healing. So you may be able to fit in those jeans later on. But in the meantime you are doing great. After my first child I got into my pre pregnancy jeans and eventually a smaller size (even though I was thin before). So not everyone will have wider hips, depends in your build. I am sure if you are a petite woman, your hips will widen but it still is different for everyone.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    While I was pregnant with my second child my ligaments "stretched" and I actually got a whole inch taller. My feet "grew" an entire 1/2 inch. My OB/GYN said that they will not go back to the way there were before. Now that I'm losing weight I have to buy new clothes AND new shoes! I love shoes! :flowerforyou:

Those babies change our lives in so many ways!:heart:
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yes buy new clothes. you may also get a smaller size. :) I wear a size 10 in misses but a 13 in juniors. Its a total confidence boost.

I still buy juniors shirts, dresses, but the pants and shorts fit funky now.