Advice?

Options
Would anyone be willing to look over my diary and tell me why they think I've only lost 3.5 lbs in 26 days? I had been at 5.5 lbs down, but now keep waffling up and down in a 3-4 lb range. Very frustrating when you are eating within your calories and working out 5 days a week. I have a goal of being down at least 15 and hoping for 20 lbs for my daughters high school graduation, so I really need to get this figured out.

Note: for exercise calories, I tend to under estimate. When I'm using equipment that asks for my weight and provides calories burned info, I enter that amount. (this amount is always less then what MFP tells me for that activity) When the equipment isn't that specific, I usually downgrade my intensity level when entering on MFP to compensate for MFP seeming to be over on calories burned.

Replies

• Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    You are not tracking water or sodium that I can see. Sodium is really easy to overdue and will retain water weight. Water is good for flushing the system and hydrating. You can track sodium by going to your diary settings and track water at the bottom of your food log.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You're eating ~1500 calories (don't lower that) and losing ~1 pound per week, putting your maintenance at 2000. You're doing EVERYTHING right including losing weight at a reasonable rate.

I'd swap that granola bar for "breakfast" out for a hard liked egg and fruit.

I think your expectations should probably change because changing your plan when you're getting HEALTHY results doesn't make much sense to me. Congrats on the loss so far.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Here' the things I'd tell you- one, you're actually doing well with your weight loss. Three and a half weeks with three and half pounds lost. That's about the right way to lose and the right rate. The less you need to lose, the slower it's going to come off.

Secondly, I'd try to eat more vegetables and fruit. I looked through your diary and that's the main thing I noticed-not a lot of vegetables and almost no fruit in your diet for the last week. Try to have 1-3 servings of veggies with every meal. Maybe snack more on fruit and less frequently on popcorn. Trading off on those two might help some. Start tracking your water, too. That's the biggest thing I've noticed that causes the 2-4 pound yo-yo for me-water. Track how much you're drinking and make sure you're getting enough.

Other than that it looks to me like you're doing things right. Keep up the good work!
  • hugsmindy
    hugsmindy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You are not tracking water or sodium that I can see. Sodium is really easy to overdue and will retain water weight. Water is good for flushing the system and hydrating. You can track sodium by going to your diary settings and track water at the bottom of your food log.
    Thanks...I'll add the sodium...the water----I drink more than what MFP recommends, I just always forget to go down their and log it. By the time I leave my office each day, I've had at least 72 oz of water (I have an 18 oz cup and I usually drink 4 during the day).
  • hugsmindy
    Options
    Thanks all. I agree that 3.5 in 3.5 weeks is a healthy loss, but what concerns me is that I had been down 5.5 lbs, but then went back up and have been waffling there for about 2 weeks. I don't want the waffling to continue!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You probably initially lost a lot of water and it's returned--your loss should resume, just be consistent!
  • renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster about the fruits and vegetables. I only looked at a week as well but I noted a lack of fruit and a low veggie intake. I also saw a couple of days where there was 15 or 17 oz of wine. I would cut down the wine calories, say drink only one glass, and increase your fruit/veggies.

I recently went through a whole month long plateau that was frustrating beyond belief. If you stay consistent and maybe tweak your food intake a little you will continue losing.

Best wishes.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    How much are you looking to lose? based on your picture, it doesn't look like you have that much to lose - which makes it harder to lose -- the rate at which you're losing weight is perfect!!:happy:
  • hugsmindy
    Options
    How much are you looking to lose? based on your picture, it doesn't look like you have that much to lose - which makes it harder to lose -- the rate at which you're losing weight is perfect!!:happy:

Ah....thanks for the picture complement, but that's my "goal weight picture". I'm about 25 lbs heaver than that right now. Just after that picture, I injured my plantar fascia ligement in my foot and had to stop running....unfortunatly, I also started eating and gained weight....time to get back to that picture. :happy: