Things I've Learned About Strength Training

Options

Replies

• Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    No 5- Form

You tube is your friend!!!!! search for Rippletoe vids.
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!! You nailed it.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options

6. Ego is the cause of most injuries.

so true!! LOL

You can post this in almost any context - from sports to you love life :)

Great post.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    BaDumBump!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    These two were the hardest hitters for me, back when:

3. Compound exercises are key. Learn how to squat, deadlift, bench press, and row. With those 4 exercises, you will get the body you want.

7. You will not gain significant muscle mass unless you exceed your recommended caloric intake.

Until Rippetoe's book finally convinced me otherwise.

Good post!

And don't forget... SLEEP!
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is the best beginner program I've seen so far.

I have to echo this. I started off doing New Rules of Lifting for Women, but switched to Stronglifts 5x5 a month ago. I LOOOOOVE Stronglifts, love the results, love the simplicity of the program. New Rules was a good read, and I liked the first few stages, but I find Stronglifts much more effective. With New Rules I was kind of 'guessing' at how I should increase the weights, and with Stronglifts, it's all laid out for you.

I have done a lot of YouTubeing, watched a lot of Rippetoe's form videos, and got some help from a trainer at my gym to get the form down. That's important for a newbie.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Great post!!
  • kandire
    kandire Posts: 87
    Options
    Bump!
  • arisher
    arisher Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. My husband got me a 10 session package as a gift and it was perfect. The trainer at the gym really help me get my form and then it was just weights and reps:):) I'm in much better shape now then at the beginning of the year....I struggle with losing weight but I look great from weight training.
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Great stuff. Thanks!
  • caat1rules
    caat1rules Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great post, but I don't totally agree with #7. You can make muscle gains without eating a high calorie diet.. If you are in tune with your body, you know the tipping point. Once you find this fine line, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    All I need to know about strength training (aside from not getting hurt) is that IT WORKS! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/i-don-t-want-to-be-bulky-221294
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    Love it! Thanks!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information :) I definitely need to do more strength training.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    13. Cardio=weight loss, lifting=fat loss.

I have reached my goal weight before (129 pounds, I'm 5'5.5" and "big" boned) and I wasn't happy with my body.
    I then gained it back (I'm a yo-yoer lol).
    The next time I wanted to lose I did P90X and got down to 132 and I LOVED my body! I still did a ton of cardio (which sometimes isn't the best when trying to retain muscle), but my 132 pound body was SMALLER than my 129 pound body!

Just wanted to put that out there for all the ladies who slave on the treadmil, yes you will lose weight, but to hold onto the muscle you have, strength training is the key!

I was afraid of looking like a female Hulk LOL My personal experience is this: lifting without cardio made me look bulky because I wasn't eating right and held on to the intra-muscular fat; then I finally changed my eating habits, did some cardio, lost the weight and began lifting heavy... What a difference!! I too weight the same as in my twenties, but my body composition is completely different and I'm smaller (and in waaay better physical condition than I've ever been!) People are amazed when I tell them I'll be forty this fall and have 5 kids :bigsmile:

Thank you for posting this info - it really needs to be said!:flowerforyou:
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    1. Unless you are an experienced lifter, do not create your own program. Great programs, created by professional strength coaches, have already been created...do one of those.

2. Do not do a program you find in a body building magazine. Bodybuilding programs are pretty much useless for beginners since they contain high sets, high reps, and a lot of isolation exercises.

3. Compound exercises are key. Learn how to squat, deadlift, bench press, and row. With those 4 exercises, you will get the body you want.

4. Heavy weight, lower reps > low weight, high reps.

5. Form is key. Take time to perfect your form, your joints will appreciate it.

7. You will not gain significant muscle mass unless you exceed your recommended caloric intake.

8. Women will not look like men if they lift weights. Women who do look like men take steroids and estrogen blockers (or they really are men in women's clothing).

9. Have a plan. If you go into the gym without a plan, you'll limit your results. Stick with a routine for at least 6 weeks to see if it works for you. If its working, don't change it until it stops working.

10. If you show me a fitness study, I'll show you a contradicting study. What may work for someone else, may not work for you. Fitness is an imperfect science, there is a lot of trial and error to find what works best.

11. A thousand crunches a day will not get you a six-pack, but a good diet will.

12. You will keep the weight off longer if you lift weights. The more muscle you have, the more resting calories you burn.

Feel free to add more to help inform! :)

this person did not give his credentials, unless you know this guy, do not follow his advice, he could be right or wrong i don't know and neither do you. please ask a certified personal trainer or someone who is educated with a degree in the industry.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Great stuff ... !
  • cel81xtreme
    Options
    Good post. EGO lol
    Im 6months into strength (get big) training. Ive read and tried everything. Im still learning my body but i like to think ive aquired enough knowledge over the past 6 months to put together decent work outs and know how to pace my self.
    Add me check me out always open to suggestions.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    1. Unless you are an experienced lifter, do not create your own program. Great programs, created by professional strength coaches, have already been created...do one of those.

2. Do not do a program you find in a body building magazine. Bodybuilding programs are pretty much useless for beginners since they contain high sets, high reps, and a lot of isolation exercises.

4. Heavy weight, lower reps > low weight, high reps.

5. Form is key. Take time to perfect your form, your joints will appreciate it.

8. Women will not look like men if they lift weights. Women who do look like men take steroids and estrogen blockers (or they really are men in women's clothing).

9. Have a plan. If you go into the gym without a plan, you'll limit your results. Stick with a routine for at least 6 weeks to see if it works for you. If its working, don't change it until it stops working.

10. If you show me a fitness study, I'll show you a contradicting study. What may work for someone else, may not work for you. Fitness is an imperfect science, there is a lot of trial and error to find what works best.

11. A thousand crunches a day will not get you a six-pack, but a good diet will.

12. You will keep the weight off longer if you lift weights. The more muscle you have, the more resting calories you burn.

Feel free to add more to help inform! :)

Excellent post. The best post I read on the forums in awhile. Thanks for posting. I've just started strength training (again) and I will save this post. Thanks!
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good post, and timely as I'm looking at trying to add some strength training to my normal routine (cardio).

Thanks, Mike