I'm new...how has this site helped you?

Options
:smile: Hi! My name is Starr. I'm new to fitnesspal.com. Sorry I don't have a photo uploaded to the site yet. Trust...it's soon to come. I joined to gain support, motivation, and information to help me in continuing on my weight loss ventures. How has myfitnesspal.com helped you? Thanks in advance for the information.:wink:

Starr.

Replies

• jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    MFP has helped me by giving me a free tool to log in all my food, making me accountable for what I eat and how much I eat.

There is a pretty extensive food database, but you need to be careful because some of the items are entered by members, so double check to see if the nutrition information is correct.

The support is amazing, and if you have questions about anything there is bound to be someone on the boards will to help you and give you all the advice you want (and sometimes don't want.)

It has been the only thing that has worked for me with weight loss. You do need to be committed to losing weight and logging all your food, otherwise it won't work.

Good luck with MFP!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I just joined in early June and this site has helped me really keep track of everything I eat. The calories add up quickly! :tongue: I like that there are support groups and teams set up by members that provide encouragement and motivation. One group that I'm in is a cycling club where we set up a weekly mileage goal and report our actual miles at the end of the week. (msg me if you'd like more info) It's really helped me to not slack off on my exercise. :happy: Since joining, I've lost 9 lbs!!! :happy: And I'm not starving myself. I feel great!!! Welcome!!! :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

exercise.png
  • weightoffmom
    weightoffmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This sight has given me a visual of what I am eating. I can see how things are adding up for the day. It helps me plan ahead. If I know we are going to have pizza for dinner with friends it helps me make allowances for that. I have really seen I can have most things I want...if I plan and "KNOW" what the calorie/fat etc is going to be. It makes choices so much easier.

Good luck...I love MFP. Hope to see you on posts
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Welcome, Starr,

I started MFP in February after spending a few weeks eating meals that I had planned ahead of time and sticking to my plan. I found the site when I was looking to find out how many calories in something and have logged in almost daily since then.

:flowerforyou: the first help was being able to log all my food ahead of time and make adjustments to keep the calories in the right range

:flowerforyou: then I learned more about nutrition and started adding protein and carbs and getting rid of too much sodium and sugar

:flowerforyou: one of the best things is the sense of community and friendship that came from being part of a group that sets goals, checks in regularly, and gets connected to each other. I have developed a huge connection to some people on MFP and "talk" about some very meaningful topics that keep us on track

:flowerforyou: there's a ton of information here about nutrition, health, and exercise

I wish you the best on your journey:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There is tons of knowledge and support here on MFP. I used to pay for WW and I SSSSOOOOO wish I had found MFP first! It's the best. I'm also in the cycling club that skywalker is in. It's true. It TOTALLY helps me not to slack off. I feel like someone is depending on me to live up to my word so it makes me work even harder to achieve my goals. Also, on the flip side, when I do slip up, and we all do, it helps to come to the message boards and vent, confess, cry, etc. There is no judgement, just encouragement and motivation..,.tons of motivation. Get used to the site and check everything out. There is always something new.

exercise.png
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I found out for the first time ever, that I was under-eating, which was preventing my weight loss. By reading, learning, and tracking everything, I've corrected that problem and begun losing weight finally...after 4 years of effort.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    The first step to controlling your eating is really knowing just what you're eating. Logging calories on here has been a life changing event for me.

Before, I would look at a BigMac and think "Yum",,, Now I look at a BigMac and think "Wow - 540 calories, 45 grams of fat,,, That's about an hour on a treadmill, yuck".

Now I still eat the Big Mac once in a while (Especially if I skipped breakfast), but I know I'll never EVER again eat one for lunch every day for a week. Used to do it all the time,,, which is how I got to 270 pounds.

The calorie counter and the exercise log and the dietary guidelines have all been just great. I've just used the program here, been honest with myself and logged everything, eaten most of my exercise calories, and I've had a lot of success here. I think the biggest thing is that I've permanently changed my eating habits. I'll never go back to what I did before - I don't think I could.
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    I just joined this site yesterday. As I logged in my breakfast of cornflakes, milk and 4 fig newtons:frown: It told me I ate 700 calories for just breakfast. What a wake up call....I only have 600 calories left for the day.
    I am impressed......it will sure make me think about what I eat.....which is what puts on the weight.
    angl::flowerforyou:
  • skywalker
    Options
    Hi Ahmee... I had a busy weekend! I have to do a really big ride today to make my mileage goal
    :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Just wanted to add to what others are saying about logging foods before eating and planning ahead. That has helped me so much. If I plan my food and workouts for the day, it just becomes part of my schedule and I'm much less likely to fall off the wagon :happy:

exercise.png
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    I just joined this site yesterday. As I logged in my breakfast of cornflakes, milk and 4 fig newtons:frown: It told me I ate 700 calories for just breakfast. What a wake up call....I only have 600 calories left for the day.
    I am impressed......it will sure make me think about what I eat.....which is what puts on the weight.
    angl::flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:
    MFP has made me more aware of the nutritional value (or not!:grumble: ) of the foods I eat.
    It helps me keep track of my meals easily & motivates me to stay within my goals.
    It also motivates me to keep up with exercise & lets me know exactly how many calories I'm burning.
    The people here are wonderfully supportive & helpful.
    You'll love it here.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have been here since April, and managed to lose 31lbs so far. This site has taught me the value of food, that everything I put into my mouth has a consequence, and enabled me to adopt portion control. I have found that I haven't given up that much, and I do have days where I have treated myself and not been as strict, but I can now appreciate that I need to combat that by exercising. Foods that I would have eaten before have no interest to me anymore, and if I am going to treat myself, I make sure that it is worth it. I don't eat foods anymore that I consider empty calories.
    It has kept me motivated to exercise nearly every day by providing me with a check in to monitor my weight loss. Seeing my little frog moving along that scale is more motivating than I ever would have thought.
    It has provided me with an unbelievable amount of motivation from those who have been successful at attaining their weight loss goals - some of which had a tremendous amount of weight to lose. Many of those are close in age to myself, and seeing their successes has been a huge motivation for me.
    Although I don't participate as much as some people do, I do read what people are saying and use the archives to answer any questions I have had along the way.
    This site will provide you with everything you need to be successful, so I hope you will stick around.
  • magnificentmama
    Options
    I have only been using this site for a week and all the post I read have been awesome. I have already lost 3 pounds :) I am so excited to finally have a real support group!!!
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    this site is good for the diet tracker and there are some people on here who are good for advice too. Everyone will try to give you advice but you have to use your discretion as to which people know what they are talking about and which ones are just talking. Before you ask questions check the archives because there is alot of good info in there. If you stick to this you will see results.
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love the food diary, that way I can plan my meals and snacks in advance and make sure my nutrition values are in the correct range. planning my meals for the day has made all the difference for me. before this I was either over somedays or way under calories for my size. good luck I hope it helps you too:flowerforyou:
  • downdownbaby
    Options
    I'm brand new to this =] and I have no idea how to get started with gaining friends and getting some support.
    maybe someone could help me out?
    I'm 20 years old, and looking to lose about 15 pounds.
    I'm friendly and I love new people.
    So far, it's really helping me keep on track, because it's makes you look at how much you ate, and how much you have left to eat!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is awesome. You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • starrithasg
    Options
    How do I become part of this cycling club?
  • skywalker
    Options
    How do I become part of this cycling club?
    Did you check out the thread? Just send a msg to spyguy and tell him what your weekly mileage goal is and then every sunday night or monday morning send him your actual miles and he starts a new thread every monday evening and posts everyone's totals. You can msg me if you need any more info. Welcome!! :happy:

exercise.png