Dr. Oz and supplements

Options

Replies

• MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I have / am....the 7 Keto seems to help...I am hypothyroid. I however did not notice much help from the saffron. I also take CLA and that seems to have helped. so far so good....three weeks in and I have lost 11 lbs....:glasses:

What is CLA?
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Every time I see the name Dr. Oz I cringe. He gives all health professionals a bad name. The fact that he calls himself a doctor makes me sick.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have / am....the 7 Keto seems to help...I am hypothyroid. I however did not notice much help from the saffron. I also take CLA and that seems to have helped. so far so good....three weeks in and I have lost 11 lbs....:glasses:

a8f73469-81c9-4b8e-b5c8-ba4ebcde372b.jpg
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    MlT1x.gif

I had more fun watching the stick figure and forgot about the topic....

oh right Dr. OZ. I have taken supplements in the past before my MFP days and I find that doing without them is a better choice. Plus he reccomends more suppliments than GNC. Every week it is a new product. That is just my opinion
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you think you need a vitamin supplement, the generic multi-vitamin is as good as any with a fancy brand name. We pay BILLIONS per year on not needed supplements for just about every ailment you can imagine. In the past I have spent a small fortune of my hard earned money on that stuff and not once did I ever notice any difference or feel any different.

I dont think this is true. We sell vitamins, and have had alot of training on the way they work in our bodies. You have to look at the absorption rate, most generics only give you 10% of the vitamin. Id rather do my research and pay for one that is doing my body good. They have definitely made a difference in the way that I feel, and sometimes I don't realize it until I start to get a cold or something, and realize that it didn't last very long. They do help.
  • meglynerogers
    Options
    Remember: if you're balancing your diet with the appropriate blend of vegetables, fruits, proteins, and healthy carbs, you shouldn't *need* any of those supplements. Your intestines will only absorb the vitamins and minerals you need: the rest comes out as waste. Keep recording your food/exercise, make good decisions, and you'll be slowly healthier and fitter!
  • MissMay87
    MissMay87 Posts: 76
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a quack. I think he got his degree from a cracker jack box.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    MlT1x.gif

^^ Perfect!!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    If you think you need a vitamin supplement, the generic multi-vitamin is as good as any with a fancy brand name. We pay BILLIONS per year on not needed supplements for just about every ailment you can imagine. In the past I have spent a small fortune of my hard earned money on that stuff and not once did I ever notice any difference or feel any different.

I dont think this is true. We sell vitamins, and have had alot of training on the way they work in our bodies. You have to look at the absorption rate, most generics only give you 10% of the vitamin. Id rather do my research and pay for one that is doing my body good. They have definitely made a difference in the way that I feel, and sometimes I don't realize it until I start to get a cold or something, and realize that it didn't last very long. They do help.

i have to ask... what vitamins are best for absorption - brand names? you can send me a message if you'd rather not post on here... not sure if you're allowed to say antyhing about certain brands but i'm really very curious which ones are the best
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I really need to not click on Dr. Oz threads anymore, although Acg made this one worth it.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    Remember: if you're balancing your diet with the appropriate blend of vegetables, fruits, proteins, and healthy carbs, you shouldn't *need* any of those supplements. Your intestines will only absorb the vitamins and minerals you need: the rest comes out as waste. Keep recording your food/exercise, make good decisions, and you'll be slowly healthier and fitter!

not true. i am deficient in vitamin d and i could drink milk and eat fish until i exploded and i still need a supplement for that.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If your were to take every supplement that Dr. Oz recommends, you would have little room in your stomach for real food.
  • FainJ
    FainJ Posts: 25
    Options
    Well, I don't watch Dr. Oz, but I did recently talk to the girl at GNC. She talked me into trying a mega men vitapak. The good thing is that if I don't like it, there is a money back guarantee, which I will use if needed. But I also have a ton of energy during my runs which must be the caffeine in the product. It also has CLA, a fat burner, vitamins, and more. Lots of good reviews on the GNC website from consumers. All the good and bad is posted there. I'll let you know more in a month, but so far so good. I've had some really good workouts on the product.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at my nutrients in and out, and of course not everything is listed, but I'm just trying to supplement what I'm missing. I've added omega oil and I bought potassium, but want to talk to my dr. before I take anymore of that. I take magnesium because I had someissued with my heart racing two yeas ago and we found I was extremely low in magnesium, crazy. I'd like to have clood work and see where I'm at. I think I'm pretty low again... I also struggle with iron.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do any of you take supplements? I watched Dr. Oz one afternoon, and he suggested 7 Keto to boost metabolism and Saterial Saffron Extract to curb the appetite. Have any of you tried these? I know nothing takes the place of fitness and a healthy diet; I was just wondering if these were a worthwhile, healthy boost, and would appreciate some input.

Most healthy people don't need any supplements. Dr Oz makes money on those supplements. That's why he recommends them. Unless you have a bunch of money you are looking to dispose of, I would pass on the 7 Keto. Sounds like a supp for low carb dieting. If you think you need a vitamin supplement, the generic multi-vitamin is as good as any with a fancy brand name. We pay BILLIONS per year on not needed supplements for just about every ailment you can imagine. In the past I have spent a small fortune of my hard earned money on that stuff and not once did I ever notice any difference or feel any different.

My sister in law is a doctor and recommends supplements to me and she doesn't make a dime off of me. She also takes them herself and probably eats more fresh fruit and vegetables than anyone I've ever met. Even the healthiest people are not getting all the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals they need. You'd have to eat a HUGE variety of super healthy foods everyday to get what you actually need. You may not have felt an immediate difference, but you could have also been taking a generic brand that's not great quality. Or you could be so used to how quickly medicine makes you feel different. I'd much rather spend money on supplements that are going to help with my future health and prevent illness and injuries than pay for medications to deal with those illness' and injuries later.
  • tammy1005
    tammy1005 Posts: 62
    Options
    I watch Dr. Oz as well and I ordered the 7-Keto only to find out it interacts with birth control and was advised by the company who makes it not to take it. Also, I tried Relora and it worked for a day then I became very depressed after three days and stopped taking it and I feel great again. PLEASE do research before taking anything this guys recommends. He doesn't tell you about side affects or drug interations.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I accidentally followed his advice, when taking extra Viatmin E........I watched a show where he insisted that ""all men in their 50s, take extra Vitamin E and Vitamin D" and I am quoting exactly what he said "all men over 50 "..............

He didn't inform us men, esp the ones over 50 that that last thing you want to do is increase Vitiamin E when you have high prostate levels.......many men get higher levels with prostate as they age

my Dr , with 30 years of experience , told me to STOP all taking of Viatmin E, as my prostate levels had increased .8, which is .3 higher than normal

That is only one experience I have with that pill pusher/food/suppplement/fashion pusher..........hes only in it for the money..........I used to watch him when he first came out, lost all kinds of respect wtih the Apple Juice theory when Dr Richard Besser broght him down, about his misjudging...........

hes the new Jerry Springer of health......he and Dr Phil.............

Here is one of many sites that show that an increase of Viatmin E is unhealthy for men with high prostate levels
    as well as many many more..........I just wished I never listend to that quack in the first place...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/10/11/vitamin-e-prostate-cancer.html?cmp=rss
  • gluvdjs4e
    gluvdjs4e Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    But my husband heard him say that people who take supplements don't live as long as those that just eat healthy. So what is he saying?
    I don't know if I believe he gets paid, I haven't watched him in a while, but he only suggested supplements by type not by brand when I did watch.
  • gluvdjs4e
    gluvdjs4e Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That is only one experience I have with that pill pusher/food/suppplement/fashion pusher..........hes only in it for the money..........I used to watch him when he first came out, lost all kinds of respect wtih the Apple Juice theory when Dr Richard Besser broght him down, about his misjudging...........

hes the new Jerry Springer of health......he and Dr Phil.............

Then they found out that his Apple juice theory was right and apologized.
  • MJ7910
    Options
    But my husband heard him say that people who take supplements don't live as long as those that just eat healthy. So what is he saying?
    I don't know if I believe he gets paid, I haven't watched him in a while, but he only suggested supplements by type not by brand when I did watch.

i am not sure about this supplements and not living as long... the only thing i can think of is if someone overdoes supplements maybe it puts more stress on their body? i know that i need my supplements, i dont' take many but the ones i take really do help my mood and help me feel better. i have not had as much muscle and joint pain since i've been taking certain supplements. but i can only speak for myself. i think doing research on supplements before taking them is the right way to go.