True or False? You may be surprised at answers...........

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
by Ching M. Alano

At the First World Congress of Public Health Nutrition held last year, according to Food Facts Asia, the experts asked some very absorbing — and disturbing — questions, such as: Do consumers know how much they should eat? Do they read the nutrition information on food labels, do they understand what it means, and does it come in handy when they choose the food they buy?

It takes more than a dash of food savvy to know what lies beneath those food labels. Yes, as a conscientious consumer, it pays to know how to read between the lines. For instance, Eliza Zied, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, warns that food manufacturers are allowed to show that a product contains zero gram of something even if it actually has the dreaded trans fats.

Would you like to know how much of a health-conscious consumer you are? Answer these interactive CBS News questions (no cheating, please!) and then read the answers given below by Nathaniel Hupert, an assistant professor of public health and medicine at Weill Medical College of Cornell University; Dr. Dean Edell, author of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Healthiness; and Dr. Mallika Marshall.

1. True or false: Eating red meat raises cholesterol levels.

2. True or false: Eating eggs is bad for your heart.

3. True or false: Red wine protects against heart disease.

4. Which food is most likely to promote cavities in children: cheese, raisins, apples, chocolates, peanuts?

5. True or false: Chocolate can elevate your mood.

6. True or false: Cranberry juice treats urinary tract infection.

7. True or false: Whole milk is more nutritious than skim milk.

8. True or false: You must take a daily multivitamin to stay healthy.

9. Which is more nutritious — fresh or canned tomatoes?

10. True or false: Naps are good for you.

Answers:

1. False. Studies show that people fed a diet of lean red meat had no significant rise in cholesterol than those whose diet consisted of lean white meat.

2. False. There’s no conclusive data linking eggs to highter cholesterol, but some people are sensitive to eggs and will show higher cholesterol levels. If you go on a high-egg diet, have your cholesterol checked to make sure you are not one of these people.

3. True. There’s tremendous evidence that red wine — and every other kind of wine — prevents heart disease when taken in moderation.

4. Raisins. They’re the culprits because their stickiness means they are more likely to stay on teeth and feed the bacteria.

5. True. Especially dark chocolate, which is chockful of catechins, antioxidants that enhance the endorphin or that feel-good chemical in the brain.

6. False. There’s no scientific evidence to show if cranberry is really berry-good for UTI. But a 1998 study found that cranberries have proanthocyanidin, which protects against E. coli bacteria so that the latter does not latch onto the cells lining the urinary tract, thus reducing your chances of having UTI. A British Medical Journal study also found that women who drank this juice every day for six months had a lower risk of contracting urinary tract infection.

7. False. It’s assumed that when milk goes through a skimming process, calcium is removed. But the calcium is found in the watery part of milk, that part that’s not skimmed. However, the skimming process does remove some of the vitamins A and D.

8. False. According to the US Preventive Services Taskforce, there’s insufficient evidence to recommend daily multivitamin pills. But if a person is not taking a balanced diet, taking a vitamin supplement daily is prescribed.

9. Canned tomatoes. Canned tomatoes have more fiber, potassium, vitamins A and C, calcium, and iron because they are riper when picked as compared to fresh tomatoes, which have to be firm to be shipped.

10. True. Naps have been shown to improve alertness and cognitive performance in people who don’t get enough sleep at night. Even a 10-minute nap has been shown scientifically to be helpful.

So, how did you fare (or fail?). If you got seven correct answers, congratulations! — you must have gone to medical school or you’re good enough to write a health/diet book.

If you scored four to six right answers, you should live to a ripe old age — riper than a juicy/pulpy red tomato.

If you got one to three correct answers, that explains why you are sick so often.

If you scored a yawning zero, you better watch out and keep your doctor’s number on speed dial on your cell phone.

Oh, dear, it’s time for our nap!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    YAY! I only got one wrong! And I actually am planning a website... "D
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Only one I missed was #6. :smile:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I missed #6 as well. Despite my bias against natural remedies, I thought cranberry juice worked :P

Fun stuff.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    The only one I got wrong was the cranberry juice one
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Me too!

So, if I'm so smart, what am I doing here at MFP needing to lose 70-80#?????
  • chellabella26
    Options
    Well the cranberry juice is a tricky one because it says that it does not treat a current UTI but does help prevent them. I have heard of different MDs suggesting cranberry juice to people that have recurrent infections.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I got the one about tomatoes wrong. Maybe because I grow my own tomatoes (fresh 8 months out of the year) and can them (diced, spaghetti sauce, chile).
  • chellabella26
    Options

Me too!

So, if I'm so smart, what am I doing here at MFP needing to lose 70-80#?????

I have a ton of knowledge stuck in my noggin too...it is actions, no know how, that determines success and/or failure. However, having the knowledge makes the effort that much more effective. Good luck to you.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    9. Canned tomatoes. Canned tomatoes have more fiber, potassium, vitamins A and C, calcium, and iron because they are riper when picked as compared to fresh tomatoes, which have to be firm to be shipped

That seems the be the same with frozen fruit also... Which is why I use frozen fruit
  • slheitmann
    Options
    I like this post, it is very informative. I knew most of the answers as I have turn my eating habits and life around to ensure that both myself and family live healthier lives.

Thanks for sharing:flowerforyou:
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I got the cranberry thing wrong. My mom gets UTI's and the doctor told her to drink cranberry juice so I thought well....

Got the tomatoes thing wrong too.

And the chocolate raisins one, but I knew it was wrong when I decided chocolate.

Oh well, 7 right, so that means I'll live into old age :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had a "naturalist" telling me that canned and frozen goods weren't as nutritious as produce that was on the perimeter of the store. I put this up because it's good for people to know that foods that are "processed" don't mean that they are always non nutritious.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I got 2, 4, 6 and 9 wrong lol. I don't know why I put true for number 2... For number 4, I remember looking at a site with high sugar fruits and I was pretty sure apples were quite high, I knew raisins were quite high anyway, but didn't know which one was higher lol. 6, well I don't think cranberry juice and I don't know much about Urinary Tract Infections either lol. 9, I always assumed fresh fruits and veggies were healthier, but I guess they must put something in tinned that makes them better than fresh tomatoes lol.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I got 7 right... so not too bad... :wink:
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Missed 3, not too bad! I always thought fresh produce was better than canned!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    #6 was the the only one I got wrong. Interested cus when my daughter was in the hospital for a bladder infection, they gave her antibiotics and told her to drink cranberry juice.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Great post. Cheers.
  • karenCalandro
    Options
    I missed 5...wahhhhhh
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Both 6 and 7 say false then go on to explain why the answers should be true.

Other than that, I missed the ones about raisins and tomatoes. Also, it's all alcoholic beverages, not just all wine.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Without peeking, I got 6 right. I missed the one on the tomatoes:bigsmile: