Is it wrong?

Options
ok so I'm 5ft I weight 158 lbs. So I recently started walking/running on my thread mill, it's a little old but works great. I usually walk/ run at speed 2.9 -4.0. My calories burned says 209 on thread mill after 30 mins, my question is ... Is that correct? My brothers gf said it should be less. Let me know what you guys think.

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    That doesn't necessarily sound inaccurate. If you can measure your heart rate while running, you'll know for sure, but 200-210 calories for 30 minutes doesn't sound wrong to me
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    It depends on a lot of different factors. The best thing you can do is get a HRM. Otherwise it's all a guess.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    My neighbor's barber says that sounds reasonable.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It actually does sound reasonable. Most people burn 8-10 calories per minute of cardiovascular exercise. To know if it's cardio, that depends on your HR, but let's assume it is. 30 minutes of exercise x 60 seconds per minute = 1800 seconds. Since your mph is a wide range, we'll just assume you burned 8 calories per minute. Divide 1800 by 8 and you have 225 calories burned.
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    That does seem kind of high to me.

I have an ancient (okay, maybe 12-year-old) manual treadmill. It does give the calories burned, but I always wonder how using it compares to motorized versions...in terms of actual calories burned, rather than general estimates. I aways keep it at the highest incline, and each step is MUCH more difficult than a motorized treadmill (having used many, over the years). A manual treadmill only moves when you push the tread, so it is harder than a more traditional motorized one.

All that said, my manual treadmill says I burn about 75 calories per kilometre or about 120 cal/mile. How long I take to cover that distance is up to me. So, it's just a loose estimate.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I found this on runnersworld:

What's the Burn? A Calorie Calculator
    You can use the formulas below to determine your calorie-burn while running and walking. The "Net Calorie Burn" measures calories burned, minus basal metabolism. Scientists consider this the best way to evaluate the actual calorie-burn of any exercise. The walking formulas apply to speeds of 3 to 4 mph. At 5 mph and faster, walking burns more calories than running.
    Your Total Calorie Burn/Mile
    Your Net Calorie Burn/Mile
    Running
    .75 x your weight (in lbs.)
    .63 x your weight
    Walking
    .53 x your weight
    .30 x your weight

Adapted from "Energy Expenditure of Walking and Running," Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, Cameron et al, Dec. 2004.

Based on the speeds you quoted, you should use the walking formula, so total cal burned/mile = 0.53*158 = 83.74 cal/mi. At a speed of 4 mph for 30 minutes, you walked 2 miles, so according to the above, you would burn 166 cal.

Like stated before, though, this is just another way to estimate.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    ok so I'm 5ft I weight 158 lbs. So I recently started walking/running on my thread mill, it's a little old but works great. I usually walk/ run at speed 2.9 -4.0. My calories burned says 209 on thread mill after 30 mins, my question is ... Is that correct? My brothers gf said it should be less. Let me know what you guys think.

I usually work at around 100 cals per mile, so it doesn't sound far off.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    Sounds about right to me.
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    I bought a treadmill about 2 yrs ago. It is suppose to be top of the line at that time. It was telling me that I was burning 300+ at 3.5-4.0mph. Compared to other people I seemed to be burning A LOT more while doing less. I bought a HRM and found I was burning about 180-200. If you turn your treadmill on and walk away from it how many calories does it say you have burned? Mine will still say 300+ (I'm just saying)
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    How far did you go?

Try entering data in this walking calculator.

http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc1.htm
  • Haz89
    Haz89 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses they were all very helpful.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the treadmill for about 10 years now and I can say that the more you weigh, the more you burn. I started at 247 and was burning close to 400 cals for an hour of 3.0 speed. Now, I'm burning about 300 for the same hour at the same speed and all that's changed is that I've lost 35 pounds.

Which kinda sucks cause I'd LIKE to be burning 400 cals, but what can you do! ;D
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I would say that it seems high for all of the factors you gave.

I'm a few pounds less than you, but a few inches taller, so our general stats are that different, and for walking those speeds for 30 min I would burn around 100-150 calories. The 100 per every ten minutes estimate is for a higher intensity level. I don't burn 100 cal per 10 minutes unless I'm doing around a 6 mph pace.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

I've heard a good average is 100 cal/per mile. So your calories burned sounds quite reasonable.
  • BenomBenjamin
    BenomBenjamin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Let's see... An average of 3.4mph x 30 minutes = 1.7 miles.

100 cal/mile = 170 calories burned.

If it's 120 cal/mile, it would be 204. That's almost exactly what your treadmill indicated.

It's up to you which you think is more accurate, but they both seem to be about right, with 120 cal/mile being closest to your treadmill.
  • Futuremzjohnson23
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I wonder why this option of manual tredmill time has not been added to the list of exercises? Guess i should put it under walking??
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My neighbor's barber says that sounds reasonable.

:laugh:
    Seriously, that sounds pretty accurate. Nobody can tell you what your burn is, though. A HRM can. I don't have one, so I always estimate low, so that I don't over eat exercise calories back.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I wonder why this option of manual tredmill time has not been added to the list of exercises? Guess i should put it under walking??

the exercises are all added by MFP members, so you can put your own in to re-use later.