KONY2012

Options

Replies

• whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yeh once I realized I was being taken in by the social media I decided to remain my own person with my own mind and not waste 30 mins on a video just because people were telling me to....
    :bigsmile:
  • whitneyann0
    Options

http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html

Their response.

I haven't made up my mind but automatically believing the critique is just as flawed a plan as automatically believing the original. This is the response.

I do not automatically believe anything. I'm putting out information from both sides of the spectrum.
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Their response.

I haven't made up my mind but automatically believing the critique is just as flawed a plan as automatically believing the original. This is the response.

I do not automatically believe anything. I'm putting out information from both sides of the spectrum.

That was a general comment not aimed at you :)

I quoted so that people could read the articles together.
  • whitneyann0
    Options

Their response.

Good deal. :bigsmile:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Their response.

Media always has a way of altering the truth (i'm putting it nicely) but the main goal of the video is to raise awareness about the situation in Uganda....and seeing as many of you have now heard of it....both sides of it...hasn't it accomplished its goal? I'm not saying the Invisible Children NGO is going about things the right way, and I'm not saying we should all donate money to it...nor am I saying sending military or working with the current Ugandan gov't is the thing to do...what I AM saying is our awareness has been raised.
    And about the NGO only using about 30% of donations to actually help the situation....that's pretty standard. I've worked in Africa...with NGOs...so many of them drive around in their big expensive fancy cars wasting gas just because they can...or refurnish their cushy air conditioned office...it happens.
  • bitterfusion
    bitterfusion Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    internet-memes-oh-you-shared-kony.png

Soooooo true!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

Their response.

Media always has a way of altering the truth (i'm putting it nicely) but the main goal of the video is to raise awareness about the situation in Uganda....and seeing as many of you have now heard of it....both sides of it...hasn't it accomplished its goal? I'm not saying the Invisible Children NGO is going about things the right way, and I'm not saying we should all donate money to it...nor am I saying sending military or working with the current Ugandan gov't is the thing to do...what I AM saying is our awareness has been raised.
    And about the NGO only using about 30% of donations to actually help the situation....that's pretty standard. I've worked in Africa...with NGOs...so many of them drive around in their big expensive fancy cars wasting gas just because they can...or refurnish their cushy air conditioned office...it happens.

The video was a nice try, but I am kind of convinced that with all the criticism that is already happening, the public will become apathetic again very soon and the cause will already be forgotten. The mob are a fickle bunch. I am sure if it were white children being abducted and forced into slavery we'd all want to apprehend and bring to justice the person responsible.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    internet-memes-what-uganda-do-when-they-come-for-you.jpg
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0ju1pW7gr1r4gu10o1_500.jpg
  • Meliklotz
    Meliklotz Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    this is a fitness forum...take it to another forum. We get it, we get that the world has problems and things need to be done.

SMH:grumble:
    ^
    This! :angry:
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Invisible Children has been around for several years, and every single campaign that they have done has made an impact on our Congress people here and in Uganda. They still had thousands of supporters and followers a few years ago. What they are doing is not new. They are truly one of the first organizations to fully use social marketing to inform thousands and millions of people about this issue. Because they are young and they have made great documentaries, they have inspired younger folks to make a difference. If you don’t think “spreading the word” about something makes a difference, then YOU need to do your research on what Invisible Children has done in the past, just by “spreading the word”.

I am not going to address the organization’s financial issues, as I think there is a lot of misinformation out there, and it is entirely too complex for a bunch of folks on MFP, who not only JUST heard about IC, but also think they know everything about them from blog posts that claim they are a scam. You know no more than those who just discovered IC a few days ago by watching a 30 minute video. So, do YOUR research.
  • yoovie
    Options
    this is a fitness forum...take it to another forum. We get it, we get that the world has problems and things need to be done.

SMH:grumble:
    ^
    This! :angry:

lol its not in the weight loss forum boards
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

This shows exactly how misinformed you and others who think the same are.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I thought you DGAF anyway
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    I thought you DGAF anyway

And an assumption about me based on the image on my ticker! Keep digging that hole.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    - it sucks that's happening, but i can't give money to every charity out there. I'll stick to the one's that are near and dear to my heart. & that I trust.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options

This^^
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Invisible Children has been around for several years, and every single campaign that they have done has made an impact on our Congress people here and in Uganda. They still had thousands of supporters and followers a few years ago. What they are doing is not new. They are truly one of the first organizations to fully use social marketing to inform thousands and millions of people about this issue. Because they are young and they have made great documentaries, they have inspired younger folks to make a difference. If you don’t think “spreading the word” about something makes a difference, then YOU need to do your research on what Invisible Children has done in the past, just by “spreading the word”.

I am not going to address the organization’s financial issues, as I think there is a lot of misinformation out there, and it is entirely too complex for a bunch of folks on MFP, who not only JUST heard about IC, but also think they know everything about them from blog posts that claim they are a scam. You know no more than those who just discovered IC a few days ago by watching a 30 minute video. So, do YOUR research.

This! I am not sure who annoys me more, people who watched the video and believed every single word without question or the people who watched the video (and in some cases didn't watch the video) and read one or two websites criticising it and believe they are now experts on the issues in Africa and social activism they feel the need to give their 2 cents on the issue everywhere they go. Probably the latter because it is rooted in some deep seeded need to lord their superiority over people who want to do something good but are perhaps a little misguided.

Personally I already give to various charities here in Australia and won't be donating to this one, but I do not disagree with their cause. Those kids (some of whom are now adults) need someone to fight for their cause.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options