BMR, calorie intake question

My BMR is 1319
I'm moderately active, which brings me to a caloric intake of 2044.

I know I need to take this amount in to maintain my weight, but how many calories should I take in on days I don't work out?

Replies

• Are you trying to lose or maintain?

If you are trying to lose... 2044 - 400 or 500 (deficit) = 1544

On days you don't work out, eat about 1550 cals,

On days you work out, eat as many exercise calories back as you want to.

If you want to maintain. Eat 2044 when you don't work out, and eat back your exercise calories when you do work out.
  • @karadawn14
    My question is about calories that have been added because of your workout. Okay so yesterday I worked out and of course the system had given me extra calories which I did not eat, but when i completed my profile for the day it stated that I didnt eat enough calories and some other warning message. This is a bit confusing...could you help me to understand this..thanks :)
  • So for me,

my calorie goal is 1560... (which is a 500 cal deficit from my TDEE) and i exercise that day burning 300 cals.

If i ate 1560 and burned 300 of those, I am only netting 1260.... so if you eat back your 300 exercise cals, I would be back at my goal of 1560.

I workout in the morning and log my exercise before I even eat breakfast. Today, I buned 250 calories, so my total calorie intake for the day can be 1770 instead of 1550.

Do you understand?

Therefore, if i do not work out on any given day, I just try and stick as closeas I can to 1550.
  • My calorie goal each day is 1200, so if i workout today and burn 300 calories it will change my goal to 1500, BUT I do not want to eat the 300 I burned. i just want to make sure that I eat 1200 calories so I can continue to lose weight. Is that right?
  • no you must eat the 300 cals back to meet your goal of 1200 calories.

Think 1200 calories minus 300 is only equal to 900 (your body uses more than those 900 for fuel), therefore you need to eat back those 300... so 900+300(the exercise calories) = 1200.

So it may look like you are eating 1500 calories, but in reality, you are only eating 1200 because you burned 300 of those calories exercising.
  • Gotcha!!!! It just seemed weird. Thanks for breaking it down for me. Have a great weekend :):smile:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Multiply that number by 1.2 (sedentary). If you want to maintain on that day eat that number. If you want to lose subtract your deficit.