Why did you choose the Polar HRM model you did???

Options
FORIANN
FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
I see a lot of people talking about how great the Polar is and they apparently make a great product. Would you guys care to expound on the reasoning for the decision that lead you to purchase the specific model that you decided on. The seem to really run the gamut in features and price and I'd be interested to see what specific features guided folks to make the decisions they did. Thanks.

Replies

• bennjammin
    bennjammin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There are so many choices out there and I was just spinning my wheels trying to decide on a decent HRM. I wanted one sooner than later so I based my decision on popularity and reviews on Amazon - otherwise I would have waited forever. I'm anxious to know how many calories a day I'm actually burning, and of course, get my arms around all of the HR stuff. I went with the Polar FT7 and I'm expecting in the mail today. I can't comment on my personal experience with it yet, but the review below is one of the many positive reviews that this particular model had. This watch appears to have what I need (and I'm hoping is better than nothing at this point).

Watch/HRM

- Monitors heart rates. I found the monitoring to be accurate except underwater. (I'll go into detail about that a bit later.)
    - Counts Calories. The Calorie counter seems to be quite accurate. I have used it for walking, spinning classes, swimming, and strength training sessions and the calorie counts are reasonable.
    - Target heart rate graph. The graph is useful for seeing where you are and if you're within your minimum and maximum HR "fitness" ranges during a session.
    - Very user friendly. Even though there aren't any instructions on setting up the watch, I didn't think they were needed. I didn't even bother looking at the manual until I was done configuring the watch, but I've never been one to read manuals. However, others may find the lack of a detailed manual a bit frustrating.
    - Stores Training Files. Which include records of session durations, calories burned, average HR, Maximum HR, and the amount of time your workout HR was spent in the target range.
    - Weekly Summaries. This basically sums up the total amount of time spent training, the total calories during each session, and how many sessions during the week.
    - Settings are very easy to change especially if you have any weight changes and want to keep an accurate count of calories being burned.
    - There is also a backlight, which is quite handy if you're somewhere with minimal lighting.
    - I also found out that if you hold the "down arrow" button, you can change the time to a second time zone that you can set by going through the "quick menu" which is accessed by holding down the "backlight button (*)" which also leads to the "button lock" feature. If you hold down the "up arrow" button, you can change the "Watch face" to just display the time and date or the time and date and logo, which is smaller on the face, but it includes seconds and FT7 logo along the bottom.
    - User changeable batteries. This was something I really wanted out of my HRM. I never liked sending something to the manufacturer for replacements even under warranty. I just don't like dealing with shipping, waiting, and extra fees.
    - Water Resistant. I have used this HRM in the pool and the monitoring is relatively accurate when it actually reads the transmitter. I believe the Polar website notes that in some highly chlorinated pools or seawater the transmitter will not be picked up underwater. The pool in my gym is very chlorinated and there were times when the HRM will not pick up my heart rate. But if I just sit still in the water for a minute or so the watch will pick up the signal again. Though this can get annoying if you are trying to swim laps for endurance. The watch still gives me a fair calculation of calories I have burned during my swim sessions. Though the calorie count is most likely lower since I'm not sure how long the watch is not reading my heart rate during times when I am swimming several laps nonstop. I also tried using this in a saltwater treated pool and the moment I went underwater the transmitter does not work at all. So I'm guessing that this HRM will not work if you are swimming in the ocean.

Chest Strap

- The Chest strap is very comfortable, and I usually don't feel it, but then again it might be because I'm used to having something strapped around my chest all day. And I have had no problems of it slipping. It is also recommended to wet the straps a little. I usually just wet my hands a bit and rub against the cloth area, and I'm good to go.
    - User changeable batteries. The transmitter pops off easily from the strap, and like the watch, I can change my own batteries, but unfortunately the watch and transmitter use different types of batteries.
    - Another perk is that most of the machines in my gym also pick up the transmitter readings, allowing me not have to keep glancing at my watch while I'm on the elliptical or cycling.

Overall, I really like this watch. For the price I paid, it was worth it and it gives me all the basic things I need to monitor my workout sessions.

If you want a simple watch that gives you fairly accurate heart rates, calorie burns, training records, and user changeable batteries the FT7 is a cheaper option to the FT40 and FT60 models.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I agree with the review ben posted - but I got the FT4 - it's a cheaper version and doesn't store everything, and doesn't have all the bells and whistles - but thanks to MFP - I don't need that. I can now add the name of my exercises and adjust the time and calories to what my FT4 tells me. I absolutely love it - and now I am the mascot of the fitness classes I am doing. Also - I realized how off the machines in the gym are off by in the calories burned.

I have been using mine for about 3 weeks now and absolutely love it! Got mine for 89.99 at academy sports and they are same priced at best buy. If you are more patient than me, you can purchase some of them on amazon for as low as 59 bucks. I have the "want it now syndrome" though and paid the extra money for it.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I agree with the review ben posted - but I got the FT4 - it's a cheaper version and doesn't store everything, and doesn't have all the bells and whistles - but thanks to MFP - I don't need that. I can now add the name of my exercises and adjust the time and calories to what my FT4 tells me. I absolutely love it - and now I am the mascot of the fitness classes I am doing. Also - I realized how off the machines in the gym are off by in the calories burned.

I have been using mine for about 3 weeks now and absolutely love it! Got mine for 89.99 at academy sports and they are same priced at best buy. If you are more patient than me, you can purchase some of them on amazon for as low as 59 bucks. I have the "want it now syndrome" though and paid the extra money for it.

^^^ Yup, pretty much this exactly! :) I have the FT4 also and was to impatient to look for a deal. $89.99 @ Dunhams Sports..lol
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I chose the FT4 b/c:

-It's the least expensive Polar model that estimates calories, and that's the main function I cared about.
    -It came highly recommended in terms of accuracy.
    -That's about it. LOL

Also much like PP, I paid $90 to pick mine up in a retail store (Target) and take it home that day, but you can save around $25 by purchasing on Amazon if you can wait. I accidentally bought the FT7 for DH when I went back to pick one up for him, he likes the extra features and bought the optional accessory so that he can easily upload his tracking info to the Polar website, but I find that I don't need all that and I'm quite happy with my FT4. Just yesterday I checked my data files and in the 6 months I've had it I have used it 184 times for a total of almost 130 hours and burned over 61,000 calories. Definitely worth the $90 although I do wish I'd saved the little bit of $$ by purchasing on Amazon.
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The one I bought from Best Buy last year had excellent reviews from customers and cost less than $100. The biggest reason I bought it was b/c it had a crest strap. I think mine is the Polar FT40 model.
  • jlburke2
    jlburke2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do any of you use your Polar HRM while playing sports. I want to get one to use while playing hockey, but I am not sure that it would work with all the equipment. Anybody have thoughts on that?
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar F6 for my birthday about 5 years ago and still works great. It does the basic stuff and I think it is a step down from the FT4 but it's all I need.
  • kathleen2001
    Options
    bump
  • bennjammin
    bennjammin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used my new hrm all weekend and it is the real deal. The initial feel and style of the watch seems old school (mid 80s) but the functionality is awesome. Is it worth the price I paid for the ft7? I would say yes so far. It records several activities throughout the day to get the following: high, low and average bpm; calories burned per session, per day and per week. You can download numbers onto your computer but I don't plan on using that feature. The additional insight holds a lot of value for me - exactly, how many calories am I burning. Once I get my arms around those numbers I plan oon using the hrm less. Hope this helps.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am starting Boot Camp on Monday and need an HRM for it. I am going to get it for that and wear a FitBit during the day. Question..Do you guys wear the HRM during the day or only during exercise?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I am starting Boot Camp on Monday and need an HRM for it. I am going to get it for that and wear a FitBit during the day. Question..Do you guys wear the HRM during the day or only during exercise?

HRM are intended to be used only during exercise. Devices intended to be worn all day include FitBit, BodyBugg, and BodyMedia Fit.
  • Fani2003
    Fani2003 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

HRM are intended to be used only during exercise. Devices intended to be worn all day include FitBit, BodyBugg, and BodyMedia Fit.
    Awesome! Thanks!