Quitting Smoking

Options
This morning I decided to quit. I just threw away my pack. I'm very nervous about being a non smoker, I have identied with it for so long! Any tips, success, support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :) I do not think this is going to be an easy journey for me.

Replies

• eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    are you using any quit aids or just cold turkey on your own? I used chantix for about a month and I haven't had a cigarette for a month and a half. I have gained about 10 lbs though. I would suggest sugar free gum and dum dum pops. exercise and just generally keeping busy helps me also. good luck!
  • ATreimel
    ATreimel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are some good web supports- <becomeanex.com> is great. Also Quitline for your state provides phone counseling and education as well as nicotine patches and gum or lozenges. The combination of using some type of medication like nicotine replacement, Welbutrin or Chantix plus counseling has been shown to get twice as good success. Also, tell your friends and family you're quitting and ask for support! Hope this helps.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This morning I decided to quit. I just threw away my pack. I'm very nervous about being a non smoker, I have identied with it for so long! Any tips, success, support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :) I do not think this is going to be an easy journey for me.

thats great news!!!!! fair play, I wish I could do that or wake up with the same feeling. I dont have any tips, but I support what your doing as I would love to just pack up like that myself, 10 years now chained to the *kitten*! hope you succeed!
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    WTG!! I have never smoked but I have lived through the quitting process with people and have seen how hard it is. Even if you gain some weight, the health benefits of quitting the smoking (not only for you but also for the people you live with) far outweigh the negatives of the extra pounds. And think how much money you'll save! Good luck with this and keep at it - every day you don't smoke you get a little healthier!
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    Do it cold turkey! I could smoking 2 years ago, best thing I've ever done. Every time you want a cigarette look at pictures of black lungs, wrinkled skin and yellowed fingertips on the Internet.worked for me!
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't think long term....conquer one craving at a time. I like to say I acutally haven't quit, I just haven't had one for nearly two years. Best wishes! It can be done, it just takes tenacity.
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! There's a group on here for quitting, i highly reccomend joining it -lots of support. Different things work for different people. I quit almost 7 months ago and did it cold turkey. I think cold turkey makes it harder initially but was easier and more permanent in the long run. I had to confront the cravings and breath through them rather than replace the habit with something else. Best of luck and if you fall off the wagon, get back on!
  • kandi810
    kandi810 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I quit four years ago and still fight the craving almost everyday. It does get a little better. It's like death and grieving, you learn to deal with it. Good luck! Cold turkey and sugarless gum worked for me and I had been a smoker for 25 years.
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I read Allen Carr's book and it was the game changer for me. Changing my thoughts about smoking were the biggest battle. So far so good....I'm 38 days smoke free.
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Awesome job !!!! Taking the initial step is the hardest. I quit smoking Oct 25th, 2011 and havent looked back once. I knew smoking was bad for me and my family, I just had to take that step. Once I made that step I had to figure out what I was going to replace it with. We all know that when you quit smoking you gain weight. So I challenged myself that I was not going to gain a pound. I love being competitive. I didnt take the plunge to loose weight, tone up or run a marathon, but rather to not gain a pound. I started out walking about 2 miles each evening at the park. Then I had a real brainer and thought lets see how far I can run....haha... that lasted for about 30 seconds. By doing that I realized just how bad my lungs had gotten. I then made another goal and that was to start wogging (walking/jogging). it seemed as if I just keep broadening my knowledge and kept setting more goals for myself. While wogging, I found the C25K program (Couch to 5K), and I began using it. Today is my last day of the 8 week program. I went from nearly dragging myself for 30 seconds to running 30 minutes straight Wednesday. If you would have told me 8 weeks ago I could do this, I would have dropped to the ground laughing. BUT, I did it and so can you. I was fortunate enough to not use anything as a crutch. I went cold turkey. You have to decide what is best for you and what will work for you. Suggestions are great, but everyone is different. Just in the example of someone begging you to quit, you have to do it because you want to and have made up your mind. That persons influence is great, but it is your determination and willpower. So go out there and do it. You have made 3 huge steps: 1) Deciding that youre gonna quit 2) Throwing the cigs out 3) Joining Myfitnesspal ......substitute smoking for exercise. Just think we used to spend about 5 minutes smoking a cigarette. Now multiply that by how many a day you smoke. Say 10. Thats 50 minutes a day destroying your lungs. Turn that 50 minutes into exercise. Your choice, walking, running, dancing, treadmill, elliptical, just whatever it is you like. Then build from there. I am sorry this turned out to be kinda lengthy, but I have been where you are and I just really want you to succeed. There are many great people on MFP that will walk this journey with you and support you in every way. Isnt that right fellow MFP'ers???
  • FlipThis112
    FlipThis112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr's book helped me out tremendously!! I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-Smokers/dp/1402718616
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Way to go on your decision!! I quit for my 42 birthday. Aug. 7, 2011 I woke up a non smoker not one since that day. Someone above me posted about quitnow.com I highly recommend them. They were a big help to me. You can do it. Be strong and take it one craving at a time. If you need support please feel free to add me!!!
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I also used Allen Carr's book. It wasn't as if I finished it and *BAM* I never wanted to smoke again, there is still some work and resistance that you have to do. BUT, it completely changed the way I thought about it and I believe that it is because of that book that I do not crave one today, that I did not crave one yesterday, and that I will not crave one tomorrow.
  • amphora
    amphora Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have no tips for you but wanted to encourage you, really really encourage you. My mom just died the day after Christmas from lung cancer. She was 56.

One of the biggest reasons she never quit? Worried about gaining weight. The 10lbs she could have possibly gained wouldn't have killed her- the smoking did.

Do whatever you have to do- STOP SMOKING! Don't try changing everything at once and realize that habits CAN change and willpower can be depleted through out the day so try making contigency plans, the more specific the better for when the urge strikes! Try www.beeminder.com to help keep you accountable day to day.

If you fail at cold turkey, cut back instead and work your way down to zero. Here are two science-y books I recently read about habit formation and willpower which could help you:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055PGUYU/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title\

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052REQCY/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

Good luck! Truly.
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    I have no tips for you but wanted to encourage you, really really encourage you. My mom just died the day after Christmas from lung cancer. She was 56.

One of the biggest reasons she never quit? Worried about gaining weight. The 10lbs she could have possibly gained wouldn't have killed her- the smoking did.

Do whatever you have to do- STOP SMOKING! Don't try changing everything at once and realize that habits CAN change and willpower can be depleted through out the day so try making contigency plans, the more specific the better for when the urge strikes! Try www.beeminder.com to help keep you accountable day to day.

If you fail at cold turkey, cut back instead and work your way down to zero. Here are two science-y books I recently read about habit formation and willpower which could help you:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055PGUYU/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title\

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052REQCY/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

Good luck! Truly.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for your support. Wishing you all the best.
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! !!! I know it can be hard at times! !!! I myself quit August 10,2011......I used an electric cig for a few months sparingly
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step! I wish you endless success!
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I read Allen Carr's book and it was the game changer for me. Changing my thoughts about smoking were the biggest battle. So far so good....I'm 38 days smoke free.

Agree completely. I can highly recommend this book, you won't need anything else - and you're doing it already. Well done.

I quit over five years ago and never smoked another cigarette - and never will. I'm not prepared to give up the feeling of being totally free of a horrible addiction.
  • theworldis
    Options
    Congrats! ive quit for a few months cold turkey, and slowly started up again. Id love to quit again, im so afraid to gain back any of the weight i just lost.