Baby wearing?

Options
I'm trying to figure out the calories burned for brisk walking while wearing a 30 pound toddler on my back. Anyone have a good place to look?

Replies

• shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Could you use this and add the calories burned "carrying infant" and "walking" together? It would obviously just eb an estimate since a 30lb toddler is hardly an infant... but it's a start, right?
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • AmandaBroun
    AmandaBroun Posts: 126
    Options
    You could call it hiking - I know mfp has hiking options with different pack weights.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    SQEEEE! I'm just excited to see another babywearing mama on here, lol. I've actually been wondering the same so thanx for posting. :)
  • AmandaBroun
    AmandaBroun Posts: 126
    Options
    You could call it hiking - I know mfp has hiking options with different pack weights.

Actually, nevermind that. Their calorie counts for walking and hiking with no load are very different.
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am babywearer too <3
  • Erinclot
    Erinclot Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeah- the walking at a brisk pace and walking carrying a 15lb infant are not close and I would think carrying a 30lb toddler would add a little more. I looked at hiking but that didn't seem right either. I wish there was some way to request they add something like that.

Yea for Baby Wearing! What kind of carriers do you ladies use? Today we were in our new Boba but we usually use an Ergo.
  • Erinclot
    Erinclot Posts: 4
    Options
    OK- I added Walking at 3.0+ carrying a Toddler to the database based on The Most accurate Calories Burned Calculator. It might not be perfect, but it's a start!
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't add anything extra. I just log it at whatever walking speed I'm doing and just consider any extra calories a tiny bonus.

My 11 month old (today!) hangs out in my Beco butterfly 2. Yesterday I was pushing 2 kids in the jogger (a 70 pound total), wearing the baby (who weighs just shy of what I've lost) and going up this mammoth hill into the wind. I felt like I was on Biggest Loser when they have to wear the weight the lost and do those challenges!
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Babywearer here too! Don't know the answer to your question though sorry.
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't add anything extra. I just log it at whatever walking speed I'm doing and just consider any extra calories a tiny bonus.

My 11 month old (today!) hangs out in my Beco butterfly 2. Yesterday I was pushing 2 kids in the jogger (a 70 pound total), wearing the baby (who weighs just shy of what I've lost) and going up this mammoth hill into the wind. I felt like I was on Biggest Loser when they have to wear the weight the lost and do those challenges!

This reminds me of one time I was riding my bike with my two toddlers in my bike trailer (also an extra +/- 70 pounds) against the wind, and it was a very windy day. I thought I was going to die!
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    thats awesome, this has frustrated me a lot too, they dont really have anything accurate, for babywearing, or pushing a stroller, i think that walking brisk pace pushing a doubel ( 80 pound stroller ) has got to be pretty substantial- but the pushing stroller option was way way low on cal, so i just logged my speed.

I wish there was something for carrying my 1yo, he is like 25 pounds, and on my back at brisk pace... its a good work out. i love my maitai
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I wish I was still wearing my babies ;-)
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Could you look up the burn on another site for that pace/time at your weight plus 30 pounds?
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Why not wear a HRM and find out that way?
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yeah- the walking at a brisk pace and walking carrying a 15lb infant are not close and I would think carrying a 30lb toddler would add a little more. I looked at hiking but that didn't seem right either. I wish there was some way to request they add something like that.

Yea for Baby Wearing! What kind of carriers do you ladies use? Today we were in our new Boba but we usually use an Ergo.

We have an Ergo, a Sachi mei tai, a few fleece pouches and a local WAHM ring sling. Oh and a stretch velvet Eden mt. Was drooling over a Kinderpack but my tiny is almost 2.5 now so I'm not willing to fork out the money anymore lol.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    YAY just started wearing my girl again since she's decided piggy backs are cool and walking when she's tired is not! was using a DIY moby (non stretch) but it's 2 yrs old and started to rip on a stress test, picked up an ergo and i've been trying to find a calorie burn on this, basically this is my main exercise right now and so far so good (2.5 lbs the first week of this!) the 15lb carry has to be different. HRM is not in the budget right now (ergo was a gift) but if anyone does this pls share!!!
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    add 30lb to your weight and estimate the walking calories based on that weight?
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I burn an extra 50 calories more per 5 minute walking when i wear my very lazy 45lbs toddler, i used my HRM to work it out the other day out of curiosity.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    add 30lb to your weight and estimate the walking calories based on that weight?

I was thinking this too--
    Like to see baby wearers! Last time I got to do that was halloween time. Did a corn maze with my 30 lb 3 year old ;)
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Very happy to see BW Mamas on here :D