how do you handle making mistakes at work

Options
clydethecat
clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
for the last two months i've been working on a project at work. i have to create and schedule 300 customers and at least half of them have special scheduling. it comes out to around 550 different schedules that have to be created. while working on this project i would make little mistakes, or omit something that shouldnt have been omitted, so i would have to go back, start at the begining and recheck them all. i hate making those kind of mistakes, but at least i could fix them before anyone saw them, but it was very frustrating.

well now we've gone live with the new system and there have been at least 6 major errors that my boss found and told me to fix. i'm not in trouble, but oh man, i hate having my boss tell me i made a mistake. i fixed them all, but i was so upset that i made these mistakes. i hate to admit it, but i actually cried out of frustration. i work from home so no one saw me, but now i feel bad for making the mistakes and for crying about work stuff.

i need a better way to handle, i guess being human and making mistakes.... how do you handle it?

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Admit it. Accept it. Move on.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Depending on the mistake.. if it is minor I grumble to myself and fix it. If it is a major one I usually end up in tears - not because I am in trouble but because I am frustrated lol I am trying to get better at not doing it but so far its not working.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I own up to it. Accept it. Apologize for it and move on.

I am human. No matter how many times I do something or how many times I check something over, sometimes mistakes happen. We aren't robots.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Dont make mistakes. Do whatever you have to. Take the extra time and make sure everything is correct.

Some people are not cut out for certain types of work. For instance, I would fail at what you are doing because I am not a detailed person. I work well in grey areas where there is no actual right answer, everything is a judgement call. I do well with that, and that's what I do now. But, if I would be forced into your job, first, I would tell them that they are setting me up for failure, and then, after that, I would learn how to do it in a way that would minimize errors. But, at the end of the day, I'd just keep telling my boss, "I told you. This isn't my thing."
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Figure out WHY you made the mistake.

IS there a flaw in the new system that makes it harder? Is it carelessness?

Slow down, remind yourself that you're human, and when in doubt - ask for help.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Mistakes are a part of life. You have to make a few mistakes to be able to learn from them. I would be more concerned if I were making the same mistake over and over because that tells me I am not learning from past mistakes.

I wouldn't stress about it too much. Everyone makes mistakes. That's why pencils have erasers.
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I find the best way is to try and correct anything before anyone realises, and/or 'fess up before anyone says anything. That way I've not got anyone feeling smug because I've displayed the fact that I'm only human!

If someone feels they can look down on you for making a mistake, then it must be wonderful to have been so perfect and to never have made any themselves! Just deal with the error, accept that you're only human and learn from the experience. No good will come of beating yourself up over it :)
  • PrincessKittenpants
    Options
    I do the same thing! I get so upset with myself that I cry too, out of frustration not self pity. When the weather is nice I go for a walk around the building. I'm struggling for the outlet during the time of crappy weather though. *big hugs* Just know you aren't the only one and a lovely cry can do us all good:drinker:
  • TimN1974
    TimN1974 Posts: 32
    Options
    I follow the words of Jimmy Buffett: "Breathe In, Breathe out, Move On"
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    It normally goes like this.

Oh ****, ****. How ******* dumb.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

This. I've been in management for most of my career and when I tell someone that they've made a mistake and ask them to correct it, it's not because I want them to feel bad, it's because something needs to be fixed. It's not a big deal, it just has to be done. I have more respect for the people that own their mistakes and move on than for the people that just try to shy away from the whole thing.
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options

^^ this and if it made other people work extra, then be sure to show your appreciation in some way
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    I own up to making a mistake and try and figure out how not to make the mistake again; then have a drink.

Unlike one of my co-workers who ****s the world up daily and blames other people.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    acknowledge the mistake, admit it, apologies, learn from it, move on with the learning
  • mslindsay
    mslindsay Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I try to keep in mind that my boss is human as well, and also makes mistakes. As long as I can fix it and quickly he won't care (if he is a good boss). Scheduling 500+ appointments there will be mistakes, I enter in 500+ data points and analysis a week and I am always making mistakes. And that is why my boss is there, to check over it, so it doesn't get to the customers.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    my job is a little different, but i use it as a teaching tool for my students. they're all ALWAYS in trouble, so they like when i talk about making mistakes. making mistakes is human...that's why you have someone else look at your stuff.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I make elaborate schemes, usually meaning I have to kill a co-worker and buy fake tickets out of country in their name.(or names depending on how big of a mistake)
  • mslindsay
    mslindsay Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh and don't argue with them or make excuses about the mistakes. That just pisses people off.
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    I just started a new job in September. My new job is infinitely more complicated and complex than my old and more than I thought it would be. I have never had a complicated or complex job before this, so I was not used to asking for help or making so many mistakes.
    Once I started asking for help and asking more questions, I learned more of the background processes that occurred because of my actions. This made me think about the things I was doing in a different way. Now, I make a lot less mistakes and when I do make them, I find out how to prevent them in the future. I work with a really supportive co-worker and really understanding and supportive manager so I never feel awkward about asking for help or adivce. Even if it's the seventeenth time I've asked them how to do something. :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Would you berate a coworker to tears over the sort of error you made? Of course not!

So, be as kind and patient with yourself as you would be with a coworker.

When you make a mistake, instead of letting yourself get all bogged down in frustration that it happened, try to figure out how it happened, then formulate a plan in your mind as to how you'll avoid it in the future (if possible, but relax, and realize that not all mistakes can be prevented, and that's OK). Being proactive about it distracts you from the immediate frustration of the mistake itself.