how do you handle making mistakes at work

Options
2»

Replies

• knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    The office I work in recently made a fairly big mistake, and I took full responsibility for it. It just wasn't caught, before we went to print. So, now I have to deal with it for the rest of the year. My boss comiserated with fellow peers about it, and was told of many other horror stories as far as mistakes go. We certainly aren't the first or the last.

But, as crappy as it feels, I agree with one of the first people that posted. Admit it. Accept it. Move on.

To really help the healing process for me, a few weeks later I went out for Chinese with my mom and got this as my fortune:
    Better to do something imperfectly than to do nothing perfectly.

It made me smile.

Then again, it helps to think about the Amish, too. I was told that they make a mistake (knowingly) in everything they do, because only God is perfect. Keeps it in perspective. We are only human.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If I were to make a mistake, I would correct it and seek knowledge to avoid making similar errors in the future.

That's my plan if I ever make a mistake.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any software-type thing that didn't have mistakes. Huge corporations that have multiple people working on the same project still make mistakes and have to fix bugs. All the apps that people download onto their smartphones have bugs and need fixes. It's just part of creating something...even products that have been tested by many people have issues. I've never heard of anything like this that was released for use that didn't have a patch or bug fix shortly after its release. Many of them go through multiple patches and fixes. It's really nothing to be upset about. If a multi-million dollar company can release something to the public and have to go back and fix it, why would you be so hard on yourself? It's improbable to make anything perfect the first time, but at least you have the ability to fix the little issues that arise as they're found. Just accept that you're human and all humans can make mistakes, and be proud of the fact that when those major issues were found that you were able to fix them quickly and make your project work even better than it had before.
  • lynseybreit
    Options
    Dont make mistakes. Do whatever you have to. Take the extra time and make sure everything is correct.

Some people are not cut out for certain types of work. For instance, I would fail at what you are doing because I am not a detailed person. I work well in grey areas where there is no actual right answer, everything is a judgement call. I do well with that, and that's what I do now. But, if I would be forced into your job, first, I would tell them that they are setting me up for failure, and then, after that, I would learn how to do it in a way that would minimize errors. But, at the end of the day, I'd just keep telling my boss, "I told you. This isn't my thing."

This is the least helpful answer. You're sort of insenstive, and where I come from you get stuck doing things that test you mentally and emotionally. My job tests me everyday, and I make mistakes as well. I just try to stay dignified, and always ask if there is an improvement I could make or a better way of doing it. I think my bosses appreciate my ability to admit when ive made a mistake, and to ask for help to get better.

And I have a desk break down monthly at least. So let it out :)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Easy.

6743345_7460.jpg
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Admit it. Accept it. Move on.

This. I used to beat myself up about it like you are doing, but I have learned now that I do my best and yes, sometimes I make mistakes but I always own up to it and try to fix it.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    If I were to make a mistake, I would correct it and seek knowledge to avoid making similar errors in the future.

That's my plan if I ever make a mistake.

I think my wife highjacked RoadDog's account.
  • BevbeMoore
    BevbeMoore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have made my share of mistakes in the workplace and in a couple of particular cases I can think of they were huge. I spent a lot of time beating myself up about it to the point where it hampered my confidence for a long time. I was tentative and it hurt me and my team. Whatever you do remain confident in who you are and your abilities and put the mistakes behind you. Retrace your steps, review what could have been done differently and try not to repeat them. Things happen and if you are tired or rushed mistakes will happen. I have learned that I have to slow down and take a moment to breathe especially if I am anxious. As well, don't be afraid to speak up and ask for help when you need it.

I will also tell you that for me as a Christian, I have learned more and more why it is so important to rely on the power of God and that my faith in the Lord gives me what I need to get through and get the job done.

People are not real in talking about their mistakes and failures and for some reason we will in a world that expects perfection. In our own ability we will fall short, God knows this that's why He sent His Son Jesus, so if He understands why can't we? Just a thought...anyway. Chin up...you will recover!!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Easy.

6743345_7460.jpg

bahahahahaha! i see this every day!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    oh wow you guys, i never expected this much of a response, you guys are awesome. i'm usually the person that finds other peoples mistakes, just part of my job, and i've always told them, i only care that you fix it. and i'm really good at finding and fixing my mistakes. its when my boss, (full disclosure, i work for my parents, they own a small service company, so there are other issues), or my dad, tells me i made a mistake, that it feels like i failed.

mistakes are to be made, i totally get that.. and you guys are right, fix it, apologize and move on, thats the best answer. i also need to slow down.. when i think i know how to do something, i tend to tune out and go on auto pilot. thats bad! but thats an easy fix, just pay attention.

i need to keep my emotions in check, thats the stumbling block for me..

thank you all for your great answers.. i really appreciate it :)
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    when logic doesn't work:

- wine
    - gin
    - wine
    - vodka
    - whiskey
    - wine

etc. :drinker: