Upped my calorie goal - Doing the right thing?

Options
2»

Replies

• Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It does seem counter-intuitive, especially since I was eating over 1200 every day. It sure seems like I was eating enough.

I just needed a bit of assurance that I wasn't going to sabotage myself with this move...

Thanks for the replies!

Edited for typos....

I was also skeptical. I was stuck at the same weight for about 3 weeks, and decided to do the same thing. I am 5'1" and was eating 1200/day plus 50-75% of exercise cals. i cautiously upped my cals to 1400 plus exercise cals, and i feel better having a 1200-1400 target, i have more energy, it has allowed me to eat more protein each day and not go over my cals ( i kept most of my other eating habits the same) and I am now ready to go up to 1500 or so. I currently only work out 3x week, but fairly vigorously. (Cardio kickboxing, etc)
    It works! More fuel for my body! woohoo! I am down 5 lbs in 3 weeks or so after being stuck for a few weeks. My best advice is to just give it a shot, at least 2 weeks to see how your body will respond. Good luck! :)
    edited to add: current weight is 154.2 (in case anyone was wondering)

Thanks for your response! Congratulations on your success!! :)
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kelketchum
    kelketchum Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about doing the same thing. I am 5'2" and weigh 145. The MFP has me at 1200 a day. And I am going to the gym at least 3 times a week. I am taking Wellbrutin also and that makes me not as hungry so it hasn't been a problem just eating the 1200. Some days I haven't been able to eat even that. I also have not lost any weight! :( So I am going to try to up the calories and see how it goes.
  • lungry1980
    Options
    I have been eating 1200 plus exercise cals for 45 days now. I have only lost 11 lbs. I am tired all the time so today, I upped my cals as well. I hope it works. I will give it 30 days and go from there.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    The other sites factor in exercise when you are given your number to lose weight, where MFP does not. So MFP gives you a number that allows you to lose with no exercise and then when you do workout and enter that info to your diary, it tells you how many calories you have earned and you should add those to your daily total for comsumption.
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I also felt the same way - I upped my cals from 1200 to 1320 about 5 weeks ago. I've been working out 3-5 times a week and have noticed the energy level dip a bit so I'm thinking of upping to 1400 or so. When I upped from 1200, I lost more and felt better for my activity level, I'm hoping the same happens this time! Good luck on your attempt!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump ~ read later