Busy Schedule

Options
I need some help. I have a gym membership and love working out (when I'm there). I work full time and go to school part time (two nights a week). Other nights I have homework to do (usually a couple of hours worth but it can be done on the weekends). Two of my three children live at home (15 & 7) and the younger demands attention a lot. She is my only girl and likes to have girls night which consists of watching a movie, just the two of us. One other night during the week my daughter has dance and now she'll have Girl Scouts on another night. I love my family time with them and find it hard to fit in the gym. My house has NO ROOM to work out and do videos. My basement is packed and there is no room there either. I do have a treadmill at home which I use but get bored of sometimes. I live in the Northeast so right now the weather is freezing to go outside and do anything. On top of that my diet is horrible. I start logging food but get lost when it comes to foods that I don't know how much is a serving, or even what the calories would be if it isn't prepackaged. I would love to preplan my meals and know this is what I need to do but, I haven't gotten around to doing that either. I have a personal trainer at the gym and workout with him at least once a week but that is obviously not enough especially considering my poor diet. He and I focus on weight training only and not cardio, which I know I need to do on my own. My portions are always small so that is a plus. I lose motivation quick because I know I am the only one that knows what's going on with me. I don't have any fitness buddies because of my schedule. HELP, any suggestions. I know ...I'm a challenge.
Tammy

Replies

• mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hi, Congratulations on what you've done so far. I'm just an ordinary user like you.

Don't worry about what the food label says is a serving. What's important is that you record the serving that you served yourself. Measuring solid foods in grams is much more accurate than measuring by volume (e.g. cups).

Do you have a food scale?
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you do full body workouts instead of one group per day, that will help with the time issue. What works for me, is to set the same time every day to exercise. Then try to stick to it the best you can. Also plan your workouts a week or two ahead of time allowing for your off day(s) to float. So if something comes up, you can adjust the schedule and not feel guilty.

I have children as well, 10,9 and its tougher as the day goes on to get in time for yourself. I tend to rush through workouts if I do them in afternoon or night because of the needs of the kids. If you can get up 40, 45 min earlier do full body workouts (40 min or so) stay active and eat right, you'll be good.

t
  • Tammy6591
    Tammy6591 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale but it has become evident that I need one to start out with so I can get an idea of what the servings look like.
    thanks for your response.
    T
  • Tammy6591
    Tammy6591 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm normally not a morning person at all. I sometimes wonder how I make it to work on time every day. I just love my bed. With that said, I am also someone that needs 8 hours of sleep each night or I'm a bear. I think your right with planning ahead for exercise. I usually function better with structure. That goes for my meals and exercise. If I know what I am doing and when I can just go go go. That is the story of my life. I always feel like I am grabbing something quick and I'm out the door again. I need to plan out my meals, snacks and exercise and just do it. I think it's time to figure out how to get myself up in the mornings so I can fit the exercise in then.
    Thanks for your feedback!
    T
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    I was exactly the same way. I am a person who loves my sleep and is not a morning person at all. I started getting up early to workout because my husband needed to go to work early and I found that I absolutely love it. It was difficult at first, but I feel so much better all day long and I have more energy. Now if I miss my morning workout I'm lost and now that hubby's back to his regular hours, he tags along too.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Tammy6591 wrote:
    it's time to figure out how to get myself up in the mornings

A couple of thoughts:
    * People focus on how long they've slept. It's also worth thinking about how long you've been awake. If you work best with 16 hours awake, then don't lie in till 11:00 on Sunday morning because you won't be tired enough to get a full night's sleep on Sunday night.
    * Accept that you'll tired. Sometimes being worried about lack of sleep can make things worse.
  • krocksa
    krocksa Posts: 32
    Options
    I have a similar lifestyle, I have three kids, 9,6, and 2 1/2. I commute an hour to work. I also own a landscaping business with my husband and we have 14 employees. The two oldest kids are in karate, baseball, and gymnastics. I also live in the NE. BTW, the weather is really shaping up so no more "I can't go outside to workout" excuses! :tongue:

I do have a small space to WO. I have been doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS and I also have ellipse and go to the gym 2 days a week. My gym has daycare so that's really helpful. When I take the oldest to karate I sometimes hit the gym, or if it's nice out I will WO outside while he is in there. (Often I do HIIT or tabatas because they are quick and effective). I have also been starting to get up at 5 to exercise. My kids are up and raring to go by 6 so it's really my only choice as much as I hate it. I've learned to plan my meals and exercise, as others have mentioned. You HAVE to. Take Sundays and prepare meals for the week. My kids also know that mommy might need to do her exercise, so they've learned to give me my 20 - 30 mins, or they exercise WITH me! Spending time with your 7yo doesn't have to be about watching movies. You have an opportunity to be an active role model. Play Wii. Go for walks or bike rides. Do OTHER things together. Sometimes you have to be creative about how to sneak in movement.

I know it's hard, believe me. Everyday is still a struggle for me. But nothing worth it is ever easy. If you want it, you do what it takes. if it means getting up at 5am then that's what you do. If it means going to bed at 9 so you CAN get up at 5, that's what you do. Decide how much you want it. Then make a plan to get there. And ask you children to support you. Then commit. You'll get there!