Elderly parent..when to worry??

Options
So nothing to do with weight loss......
My 75 year old father has recently been displaying some strange behaviors. He is VERY capable and has more endurance than I do, he is normally very sharp minded and has no physical issues or limitations other than a hearing impairment from years of mechanics and shop work without hearing protection. He is the only 75 yr old I know who is on ZERO medications for any health issues. Thankfully he lives in the apt upstairs from us and we share kitchen (I do the lions share of the cooking or he would eat cheese sandwiches and hotdogs every night! LOL) laundry ect, but he has his own space.
He told both my husband and I at seperate times that he counted 4 planes flying overhead than must be carrying the troops back to Coldlake Alberta....WTF?? He has always loved flying and keeps track of the air traffic...I dont know why...we just thought he loved planes, but this one is weird...
Tonight a very capable man drew a bath for himself and while it was filling went and made a cup of tea...no big deal we have a keurig and took 30 seconds. But when he returned to the bathroom he panicked when he saw the tub was getting too full for him to fit without it overflowing. He called for my husband in a flap and said he couldnt turn off the taps...it wouldnt turn off. We turned off the main water to the house as the turn off is easily accessible and went upstairs to help him fix the tap. I saw that the boys had it under control and so I went back downstairs. My husband came down after the crisis was over and said "What do you think that was about?" Turns out there was nothing wrong with the taps. He then told me about the planes with the returning troops that dad told him about yesterday...
When does one start to really worry about the 'strange things' an elderly parent says and does?? Any experience with this type of thing.....

Replies

• cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What you're describing may be "delerium" which is acute and fluctuating confusion commonly seen in the elderly due to infections, deranged electrolytes, illness etc. I'd take him in to your local doctor for a urine test (asymptomatic urinary tract infections are the most common cause), some baseline bloods (FBC, U&E, Ca, Mg, Vit B12) and a physical. All the best!
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    can you get him to go to the doctor? I know it can be hard to get elderly parents to the doctor when they don't think anything is wrong with them. I was worried about something similar with my mom so I called her doctor and told her about it. The doctor addressed it without ever mentioning that I called.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I work in a nursing facility it honestly sounds like early stages of dementia. Have him to be checked by a doctor. Best wishes.
  • christinerush
    Options
    I agree with Cartea01, my daughter is a doctor and I was discussing the very same sort of thing with her in regards to my nanna who is over 100 and she said that so many people end up in nursing homes as they have undiagnosed urinary tract infections which arent picked up and they have all sorts of hallucinations and so on and everyone thinks they have lost their mind. Could be just a simple case of an infection and him needing some antibiotics! Try to get him to the doctor! Better to be safe than sorry!
  • TrinaCanDoThis
    Options
    I work in a nursing facility it honestly sounds like early stages of dementia. Have him to be checked by a doctor. Best wishes.
    My mom suffers from dementia and it does sound somewhat like it. If that's the case, get him in a routine quick! I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with said before.. sounds liek delirium. I dont think its dementia, for the simple fact that its not forgetfullness.. more on the lines of confussion. Givin that he has been at mind all along, dementia starts younger than now, and starts with forgetfulness most times. I would take him to a DR. Explain to him, which can sometimes be very hard for the both of you, that you think its best if you go and just get it looked into. Has he had a change of sleeping pattern? I know you dont live in the same unit, but maybe you could ask... another sign is a UTI.. as you age, a UTI can mess with your mind ALOT, thats what we usually test for first when thses signs are present!!! Best of luck to you, Please keep us updated!!:flowerforyou:
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add in one more vote...please get him to the doctor as soon as possible. If he's unwilling to go, please call his doctor and explain what you're seeing. Likely they'd be willing to call him and try to get him to come in. There's a good chance there's an underlying cause if there truly weren't any symptoms of dementia prior to this, although elderly people are often aware of early changes and are very careful to hide any issues. I would be worried his next episode might involve something harmful to himself or your family such as leaving the stove on, doors unlocked, get lost while out, or turn on hot instead of cold water and burn himself. I review charts for a living so I tend to see those kinds of situations rather than the folks who manage okay, but please take measures to assure you're all fine. Best of luck to you all :flowerforyou:
  • KristieLynn007
    Options
    Sounds like some type of dementia. I would try to convince him to go to a doctor. HOpefully he will be cooperative and will not give you a hard time!
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other post working as a nurse I have seen several older adults come in with what seemed like confusion and it was due to a bladder infection. Would not hurt to take him in just to check his physical well being before becoming worried about his mental state. Hope all turns out ok for your please keep us posted.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The onset of dementia and a water infection can look very similar. Best to take him to a doctor though to be sure xx
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!! I have some really quality advise and know we need to get him to a DR....for at the very least a checkup!! Thank you agai!!!
  • TheDreadedJynx
    Options
    It could very likely be just a uti. Besides that, it's hard to really know when things like dementia are coming when you're close to the person. My husband noticed it in my great grandma before any of us did, when she introduced herself to him numerous times in a few hours.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Could be signs of infection, hormonal imbalance, psychosis, or dementia. He should see a doctor as soon as possible and you should arrange to go to the visit with him to explain the behaviors you've seen (the problem is not always easily diagnosed without supporting info from family). Don't be surpised if your Dad denies difficulty or becomes defensive. You may have to arrange an appointment for a "check up" without giving him too many details if he is resistive or in denial. Early diagnosis, even for dementia, can mean making the best plans for the future.