Looking for oatmeal help

Options
Okay, I've been eating those instant oatmeal packets almost my entire life. You know, those little sugar-filled things?

So, I'm trying to eat real oatmeal now. I'm struggling with the texture a bit. It's creamier than I usually made the instant ones to be, and I'm looking for ideas on things to add.

What do you add to your oatmeal? Fresh fruit, a few sprinkles of cinnamon? Anything else to help me adjust to it?

Replies

• jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    I like to add Peanut butter because it keeps me full.

Another thing I love is maple syrup. You dont need a full serving and i usually put half a serving of light maple syrup. Itll sweeten it up to help you get used to the texture and stuff.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    medium sized banana and two splenda packets

or some honey!

The banana mashed into the hot oatmeal tastes wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the packaged crappola!

Keeps me full until lunchtime.
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I add vanilla yogurt.
    I also add wheat germ for an added bonus of healthy.

The oatmeal I love is the Quaker Natural Harvest Apple cinnamon. It has dried apple in it. Really yummy.
    They also make an Apple cinnamon bar that I love. Great mid-day snack
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    i like to add cinnamon for sure. sometimes applesauce (natural of course) and cinnamon.

blueberries and banana slices are awesome too... any kind of fruit really. even some peanut butter is good.

if it's the consistency you have an issue with, use a little less water and thicken it up some.

and if you still can't get thru a bowl, use some splenda maybe to sweeten it up just a touch without adding the calories.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I buy the old fashioned oats instead of the quick cook ones. I cook it with 1/2 milk and 1/2 water then add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar.
  • RB12000
    RB12000 Posts: 43
    Options
    I use splenda and cinnamon to get it to my liking.

I never tried this, but I've heard of people using extracts like vanilla or almond to give it a kick... :tongue:
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    i like to add cinnamon for sure. sometimes applesauce (natural of course) and cinnamon.

blueberries and banana slices are awesome too... any kind of fruit really. even some peanut butter is good.

if it's the consistency you have an issue with, use a little less water and thicken it up some.

and if you still can't get thru a bowl, use some splenda maybe to sweeten it up just a touch without adding the calories.
    I agree, I like to add bananas and or frozen blueberries in mines. It tastes MUCH better!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon, pumpkin, nuts, 1/3 of a banana, fage,
  • krisloock
    krisloock Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I actually have added a scoop of flavored protein powder to it....I have muscle milk light banana creme and it tastes pretty yummy in it and adds that extra protein (and only about 100 cals) to keep me full.
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    When I cook my oatmeal I usually use the Old Fashion and use my stove. I cook the oats in 1/2c skim milk and 1/2c water. Add 1/2c blueberries, 1T chopped walnuts and 1T honey. It makes the oatmeal creamy. :love:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    walnuts and honey
    brown sugar and maple syrup
    apple chunks and cinnamon
  • qtkt1
    qtkt1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i buy the instant oatmeal in the packs. I get the original flavor/ no sugar added. Then I add strawberries or applesauce.
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    If you prefer the instant (and the yummy flavors they come in) you can buy the no sugar or weight control versions. I don't particularly care for the no sugar ones but the weight control (by Quaker) tastes like the real thing with only 4g of sugar - that is a level I can live with but your situation might be different.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Since it's the texture that's bothering you...try steel cut oats. The texture is way different than rolled oats. I like to add cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice to my oatmeal. Sometimes a little honey or maple syrup.
  • judymari
    judymari Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i used to always have brown sugar, butter and cream in my oatmeal. Then i spent the night with a family member/nurse and she got me hooked on a new way!!

I prefer old fashioned oats; i like the texture better. after it is cooked (often now in the microwave), i put a handful of walnuts in it, and some raisens or dried cranberries. This morning i had some fresh rasberries, so used those. Then i had a couple teaspoons of honey. Man it is good that way!! I've been doing this over a year now and have never gone back to the butter or cream/sugar. I also like to had some oat bran (husband prefers wheat bran), maybe 2 tbl per serving. Hope you try it!
  • melissao79
    melissao79 Posts: 10
    Options
    I love the quaker quick (1 minute oats) I cook it with water and then add milk and brown sugar when I eat it. I used to eat it with a piece of whole grain toast until I got used to the taste where I can now eat it alone.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 tbls molasses, fresh strawberries, nutmeg, and 1/4c of plain yogurt. I tried to give up the molasses but I just couldn't do it. I consul myself with the thought that at least it has all the nutrients in it. :wink:
  • MommaPaz
    MommaPaz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I chop up an apple and throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes add some splenda and cinnamon maybe some sugar free carmel coffe syrup and mix the oatmeal in... yummmm filling and way better than the instant stuff...
    That peanut butter sounds good.. maybe I'll add that next time. GOOD IDEAS!
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the addition of a banana.

I make steel cut oats, myself. I can make 4 plain servings at a time in my rice cooker and then I split it up into 4 bowls for use throughout the week. When I go to reheat it, I will cook it fo ~ 45 seconds in the microwave, then add sliced banana, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup of skim milk. Pop it back in the microwave for about 45 seconds, and it's done! It sort of tastes like banana bread that way.

I also like to put darned near any kind of dried fruit into my oatmeal, too. Dried apricots are really yummy and so are dried blueberries, craisins, raisins, and dried apples. The addition of these fruits makes it so that I don't need to add any sweetener anymore. And, as other people have suggested, you can add nuts or protein powder for protein (be careful with the protein powder--I've heard that if you heat it up past a certain point, it can change the taste). You can also add milled flax seed to increase your omegas and fiber.

Of course, I've heard about people making steel cut oats in a savory fashion--i.e., adding things like cheese and other stuff. I'm not sure about that, but in that way, I guess it's kind of like grits. You can have grits sweet or savory. Of course, I've not had grits before (too much a Northern girl for that), but to each his or her own, I guess!

Hope this helps you (I'm sure craving some oatmeal now!). :flowerforyou:

Cheers! :drinker:
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love the steel cut oats, I bought a rice cooker so they can cook while I shower. I add craisins, golden raisins or pecans (becareful they are high in calorie, a little goes a long way!)