Polar FT4 users

Options
Hi all, just got my FT4 and need some advice on how to use it. Did read the manual, but...

Do you have to have the chest strap on always when you exercise, or can you just go for a walk and wear the watch.

I know how to start, pause and stop training, but when I press start (with no chest strap on) it says "check heart rate transmitter".

So when I work out at home I can wear the chest strap, but if I want to go walking around the shopping centres for exercise, can't I just wear the watch and count calories burned.?

Can I wear it in the pool when doing laps.

Any more helpful hints would be nice.

Thanks

Replies

• DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    You must wear the strap for your HRM to work. The watch is just the read out. The strap is the actual monitor. The watch alone will tell you the time, and your data logs for previous workouts. But to see calories you are burning now you must wear the strap.

You can wear it swimming, just dont push the buttons on the watch under water. Start it before you get into the pool.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The reason it gives you that message is because there's nothing telling it what your heart rate is..without that info, it can't calculate your calories. The watch will function alone but only as a watch. In order to function as an HRM, you need the chest strap on.

It's not like anyone can see it under your clothes anyway...
  • brunettesrule
    Options
    Thanks Nay Shel and Dawn

Ok, so I have to wear the chest strap, wet the electrodes and put chest strap on and then press go. How long do the electrodes stay wet for?

Think I have got the hang of it now. Thanks again

Cheers, Jane
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I've never had to re-wet mine during a workout. I sweat plenty to do the job. Just trial and error though if you plan on wearing it all day or for non-sweat workouts :)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    also, if/when you wear it swimming, make sure to tighten it a bit more than normal.. a lot of people have problems with it slipping while they swim.