My Super Secret Workout

Options
Calf raises off the curb when I'm pumping gas...

Pushups off the sink in the office bathroom before I reapply lip gloss...

Quick yoga sun salutation series in my office with the door closed...

Deep plie squats while I brush my teeth...

And some strange "pull-my-body-weight-with-just-my-arms, drag-my-feet shopping cart thing that really I have no explanation for...

These are just some of the "one minute workouts" that I do throughout the day -- weird little exercises that I would be embarrassed about if someone walked in on me. I also do all the other usual ones -- tricep dips off park benches, soft sand lunges, running up stairs, etc. -- but those don't seem so bad because they are part of another workout...or at least done while wearing workout clothes. There's just something freakish about a grown woman in a business suit doing pullups in the bathroom stall...

Anyone else want to share their super dorky "inappropriate workout" ideas?

Replies

• wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Calf raises off the curb when I'm pumping gas...

Pushups off the sink in the office bathroom before I reapply lip gloss...

Quick yoga sun salutation series in my office with the door closed...

Deep plie squats while I brush my teeth...

And some strange "pull-my-body-weight-with-just-my-arms, drag-my-feet shopping cart thing that really I have no explanation for...

These are just some of the "one minute workouts" that I do throughout the day -- weird little exercises that I would be embarrassed about if someone walked in on me. I also do all the other usual ones -- tricep dips off park benches, soft sand lunges, running up stairs, etc. -- but those don't seem so bad because they are part of another workout...or at least done while wearing workout clothes. There's just something freakish about a grown woman in a business suit doing pullups in the bathroom stall...

Anyone else want to share their super dorky "inappropriate workout" ideas?
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Front kicks in the toilet at work

Stretching in front of a mirror in the toilet (luckily nobody saw me :laugh: )

Climbing 5th or 6th floor every time I visit my friend (and sometimes I make him climb with me :laugh: )
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Wandering and Edyta - I LOVE it! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Only my husband and children really know this - but my daily workouts bascially consist of me cleaning up the house! I get fully dressed for a workout, start a stop watch to time myself, put on a heart rate monitor, and with ipod playing, I run around the house tidying up!

I get on and off the treadmill throughout the workout, but I mostly run around the house: prepare meals (as much as possible), switch the laundry over, pick up toys, straighten things (most often performed while jogging on the spot / doing jumping jacks), all intermixed with treadmill running, running around the house / up and down the stairs, and doing lunges, plie squats, push ups, etc! It is the BEST way to start my day! I make sure my heart rate is up there the whole time, and I get my workout and I'm organized for the day.

I'm sure I look like a crazy person, but it gets two jobs done at once!
    :smile:
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    OMG I am both inspired and intrigued! LOLOLOL

What on earth are "front kicks" in the toilet? LOLOLOL I am totally picturing some sort of "Karate Kid" move, I have no idea why. Ahhhhhh CHA!!!! Take THAT!

And AJCM, I LOOOVE your workout! I can just picture how you can get a great workout jumping on and off the treadmill and doing jumping jacks in between laundry. Can you imagine if someone came into your house and saw you sprinting from room to room? They would think you were crazy...

I guess we are all a bit crazy but i love it!
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    :laugh: ok, heres one
    Everytime you walk through a doorway, suck in your tummy. Really makes you concentrate on those ab muscles...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Every time I pick up something from the floor, I either do a forward bend or a squat, but try not to do the in-between, that most people do.
    I'll think of others soon.
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am so happy I am not the only "crazy" lady out there. :laugh:

OCD's to a fitter me around the house:

Calf raises while brushing teeth. :wink:
    Alternating between a set of 10 squats and dips before sitting in a chair or couch. :tongue:
    20 jumping jacks before I light a cigarette. ( I figure if I am stupid enough to smoke, I may as well look it too. :laugh: )
    If the weather is bad I will jog in place while I smoke.

Out & about I am the Isometrics Queen. :flowerforyou: ( Long winter coats are a blessing )

Standing in line for anything IE; grocery store, bus, post office... Beneath my coat you will find me doing bun squeezes or crunches. Minimum 25 at a time.

I may look all demure and lady like with hands folded in my lap but you better believe its another isometric bicep/pec move, unbeknownst to the rest of you. :wink:

Well theres a half dozen off the top of my head. :laugh:
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    EEEP... after posting the above I thought, " I wonder what would happen if I tried to lift both my feet off the floor simultaneously? " Well of course I just tried it hence the EEEP :laugh:

I will be starting with 5 of these at a time and not everytime either. WoW did I feel it in my lower tum and legs! WOOt!!:tongue:
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    What on earth are "front kicks" in the toilet? LOLOLOL I am totally picturing some sort of "Karate Kid" move, I have no idea why. Ahhhhhh CHA!!!! Take THAT!

You asked it, Wonder! lol
    About 20-30 wakes me up better than coffee :wink:

I love this cleaning-the-house workout! :heart:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    LOL....I thought I was the only one who did that housework workout! lol....hubby always says I'm gonna film this one day and send it in to one of those video shows LOL

love it! we kill two birds, clean house and workout!
    go girl!
    hugs,
    Ali
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a two story house, so when i'm doing laundry I will fold a bunch of small piles of clothes so I have to make more trips up and down the stairs... The legs really start to feel it!!!

When I take our dog out for a little bathroom trip I will sprint back to the house as soon as he's done doing his business.

If i'm laying on the floor playing with the baby i'll roll over on my back and do arm lifts holding her (she's a chunky 25lb baby) makes the arms feel awesome after about 10 times!!!

There are so many little things we can do on a daily basis that make such a difference!
  • ColtsFan1912
    ColtsFan1912 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i dance for my son when he's in his playpen. he gets a kick out of it
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Also, for those with younger cats or dogs - the chase game. We have a wild one that loves to play chase - he chases us, then we chase him.
  • Soniabruja
    Options
    Wandering and Edyta - I LOVE it! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Only my husband and children really know this - but my daily workouts bascially consist of me cleaning up the house! I get fully dressed for a workout, start a stop watch to time myself, put on a heart rate monitor, and with ipod playing, I run around the house tidying up!

I get on and off the treadmill throughout the workout, but I mostly run around the house: prepare meals (as much as possible), switch the laundry over, pick up toys, straighten things (most often performed while jogging on the spot / doing jumping jacks), all intermixed with treadmill running, running around the house / up and down the stairs, and doing lunges, plie squats, push ups, etc! It is the BEST way to start my day! I make sure my heart rate is up there the whole time, and I get my workout and I'm organized for the day.

I'm sure I look like a crazy person, but it gets two jobs done at once!
    :smile:
    :laugh: That's amazing!!!
    Good work!!!
    I should think in a different way of cleaning....I found it boring!!! But the way you do....it seems lots of fun!!!!!! I'll try later in the evening, when the kids go to bed!!!!!:laugh:
  • AJCM
    Options
    Great ideas from everyone!

Sonja, Wandering, and all... I'm SURE I look insane, but it really helps me keep the house in order and get my workout done!

It's pretty fast paced though - vacuuming is too slow - and no cleaning products (to protect the lungs) - I do that later! Since staying home with the kids, we don't have our cleaning lady anymore, so I had to find a fun way to get it done. :blushing:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    ha, I do the cleaning one too!
    My roommate thinks I'm weird because I won't let her clean our apartment, but its really just so I can bump my heart rate up a little.
    When I'm carrying things up the stairs sometimes when I get to the top I'll turn around and go down and back up...just for a few extra calories.
    And when I sit, sometimes I'll lift my butt up off the chair and do a modified squat.

It really makes a difference!
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    I love doing the chase game with my dog. :laugh:

I do body lifts with the chair arms at work. It's a good warm stretch and lift.
  • AJCM
    Options
    ALI !!!!
    You also do the housework workout?!?!?! I LOVE IT!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I so totally do those body lifts off the chair arms at the office too...LOLOL. They feel great!

And I'm a secret "butt clencher" in any line as well.

I cannot even tell you how good this post makes me feel!

Oh okay, what about...sitting in your chair, lift your legs straight out in front (so even your thighs are slightly lifted off the seat of the chair) and tap your heels together, Dorothy-style.
  • Phatmomma
    Phatmomma Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump