Time for a major change, but I have a question...

Options
I've been a barfly for quite some time. That, coupled with my tendency to eat a lot of take-out and drink sugary drinks has put me at a whopping ~330lbs. I'm sick of it. I have been for a long time, but I just couldn't motivate myself to consistently mind my eating habits. Sure, I may have a 300 calorie lunch or a fresh fruit snack for a day or two, but then I inevitably go out for several beers and drink soda the next day. Another bad habit was that I had grown used to McDonalds breakfast 5-6 days a week.

So this weekend, I had a life changing moment. I was drinking at my best friend's house after the bar closed and generally chain smoking and abusing my body to the fullest when we got to talking about something that prompted him to quite bluntly say "I know you don't want to hear it, but just lose some damn weight..."

The next morning (Sunday), I woke up with a nasty bug, what may have been the flu, and I've been fighting it all week. Monday morning I decided to make the permanent change to a more healthy diet and cut out all sugar drinks and most alcoholic ones. By Monday afternoon, I had discovered myfitnesspal.com, and have been tracking my food ever since. I've been doing very good since then, keeping my daily intake below 1800 calories (mfp.com recommends 2060/day for my current weight loss goals). I even plugged in some of the items I might have previously consumed on a normal day, including bar drinks, and found that on average, I had probably been consuming ~4000 calories a day at best. No freaking wonder I'm so damn FAT.

Flash forward to today. I've been feeling better overall and generally feeling good about my decision, but I decided to have a sausage egg mcmuffin for breakfast, kind of like a weekly treat, ya know? Then I went to the deli shop across the street where I've been getting mostly chicken salad or veggie snacks for lunch all week, and they had fried cod sandwiches for the lunch special, so I caved and got one (along with some baked beans).

Here's the question: My total calories for the day are sitting at ~1000 still, even after the greasy breakfast and fried fish sandwich for lunch. If I avoid any high fat / high carb dinner and stick to mostly vegetables and lean meat options (I may actually just have a bowl of Subway's broccoli cheese soup at ~200 calories), I can still come in well under my daily goal for most nutrition categories (calories, fat, carbs). So what am I missing? As long as I balance my daily choices to overcome one or two bad choices, is having a sausage mcmuffin for breakfast really that bad? I can still add vegetables here and there (my new favorite late night snack is a lightly salted sliced tomato or 1/2 a cucumber), and keep the numbers down. Is there some hidden flaw in these "bad" foods that myfitnesspal.com (and all the other nutrition databases) is hiding from me, or is it really not as bad as I've told myself, so long as I don't eat grease and fat 3-4 times a day, 7 days a week?

Replies

• 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The problem with the McMuffins and most fast food is yes they are high in calories but they are empty calories. The same amount of calories in an apple and in a mcmuffin are different kinds of burn. mcmuffin is mostly sugar, salt, and grease while an apple is a complex sugar (it takes more energy for your body to break it down) and fiber (makes you feel fuller) and it has vitamins and minerals your body needs. That is why things that usually taste good are worse for you is because of the simple sugars and high carb count. Treating yourself occasionally is ok but when you make those simple sugars a set part of your diet your body will not work as hard to digest and use those calories. Think of it as if you stop at the gas station and only put about 10 dollars in gas in. Sure you will probably be able to drive home but you aren't going on any long trips. The body is much like that car if you make it work harder you will go farther. That being said if you really love your fast food (which I do too) Try making a day during the week that you can have it (Mine is Friday - Pizza night) and budget your week for that. That way even when you are craving something you can tell yourself "On Friday I'm gonna eat that pizza with mushrooms and onions and....." and in the meantime choose a healthier alternative and then on Friday enjoy what you have earned. Try not to use up too many of your exercise calories either or it may slow down your weight loss at this point. Later when you have lost a significant amount of weight you will need to use them.
  • Shortie78xxx
    Options
    I have found in the past that having a little treat is better to help you maintain a healthy diet. If I ever try to go without when I crave, i'll tend to have something else naughty and then something else, until finally I have what I originally wanted - so i've kind of taught myself that once a week, i'll have it. If i'm under for the rest of the week then a treat once a week won't actually hurt me physically or mentally.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I am guilty of "working" in my treats everyday! I have only been on here since Feb. 5th but I have lost weight. I am also thinking in terms that this "journey" is for the rest of my life and what I eat now on MFP is probably the things I will always eat. I do have control now so....~"I eat to live" and don't "live to eat"!!!!!! Take control and enjoy the ride!!! I bet your gonna love it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

So what am I missing? As long as I balance my daily choices to overcome one or two bad choices, is having a sausage mcmuffin for breakfast really that bad?.....

There are far worse choices you could be making. According to the nutrition facts (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/foods-from-mcdonalds/6262/2) an egg mcmuffin has 300 cal is a bit high in the cholesterol dept (there is no direct link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol) but has a whopping 840mg of sodium (1/2 of the rda in Canada, about 1/3 in the USA). With 18g of protein you're going to feel full for a while.(could use more fibre)

Compare that to scarfing down a commercially prepared banana nut muffin (sounds healthy!) at 450 cal (240 of them from fat), 42% of average rda for fat and 24g of sugars - almost all refined, simple carbohydrates (the bad kind). (http://tracker.dailyburn.com/nutrition/harris_teetet_fresh_market_banana_nut_muffin_calories)
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The problem with the McMuffins and most fast food is yes they are high in calories but they are empty calories. The same amount of calories in an apple and in a mcmuffin are different kinds of burn. mcmuffin is mostly sugar, salt, and grease while an apple is a complex sugar (it takes more energy for your body to break it down) and fiber (makes you feel fuller) and it has vitamins and minerals your body needs. That is why things that usually taste good are worse for you is because of the simple sugars and high carb count. Treating yourself occasionally is ok but when you make those simple sugars a set part of your diet your body will not work as hard to digest and use those calories. Think of it as if you stop at the gas station and only put about 10 dollars in gas in. Sure you will probably be able to drive home but you aren't going on any long trips. The body is much like that car if you make it work harder you will go farther. That being said if you really love your fast food (which I do too) Try making a day during the week that you can have it (Mine is Friday - Pizza night) and budget your week for that. That way even when you are craving something you can tell yourself "On Friday I'm gonna eat that pizza with mushrooms and onions and....." and in the meantime choose a healthier alternative and then on Friday enjoy what you have earned. Try not to use up too many of your exercise calories either or it may slow down your weight loss at this point. Later when you have lost a significant amount of weight you will need to use them.

^^^ This!

(Congrats on making the decision to get healthy, by the way! Good on ya!)
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I have found in the past that having a little treat is better to help you maintain a healthy diet. If I ever try to go without when I crave, i'll tend to have something else naughty and then something else, until finally I have what I originally wanted - so i've kind of taught myself that once a week, i'll have it. If i'm under for the rest of the week then a treat once a week won't actually hurt me physically or mentally.

Ditto..
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Well it's really the difference between being healthy and losing weight. Those two concepts are not always the same. The women here who are living off of 100-calorie snack packs and perfectly portioned out chips are losing weight because they're losing more calories than they're consuming, but they are not eating to promote a healthier body composition.

You will lose weight if you eat less, it's very straightforward. At some point though, the amount of sodium, sugar, empty carbs you consume will have an effect on you. I'm not going to tell you that eating an egg mcmuffin is going to sabotage your weight loss forever because it isn't. It's not really helping you either.

Also, I do want to point out that the most crucial thing you've done so far is to become AWARE of how you were eating before. I hope you thanked your friend for his honesty!!
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I find that eating out causes me to retain water. Large amounts, due to all the sodium. You literally cannot eat at most places without consuming a days worth of sodium in one meal. Even Chipotle, which I have switched to to be a bit more healthy(I get the burrito bowl, no tortillas) and it has about 450 calories, but nearly 1200mg of sodium. It might not make as much a of a difference now, but the more you lose, the more you will be able to see and feel that in your body.

So, I'd say, like everyone else, have a treat once a week! I usually sneak in a piece of dark chocolate every day. And occasionally I splurge on red wine. Find whatever you really really enjoy and work it in to your new lifestyle.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You should allow yourself a cheat day where you eat what you like - but put in extra exercise.

Although you can eat high cal, high fat foods and just count the calories, chances are - you wont have eaten a lot of food to keep you full and you've run out of your calorie limit.

make small changes - switch to diet fizzy drinks, just have the mcdonalds breakfast once a week - and dont get the full meal - just get the mc muffin and eat some fruit along side it.

the sooner you cut out junk food from your life the better - you can only see once its gone how sluggish and heavy you felt. i used to eat takeaways and chicken nuggets and frozen chips every day for dinner - now i love fruit and yoghurts and lean meats. it sounds boring when you are used to junk food, but i would 100% honestly prefer to be given a bowl of fresh mango and pineapple than a big mac burger. and i'm not a skinnie minnie, or a vegetarian or anything like that.

after doing that and going to the gym and doing the DVD series Turbo Fire - I have so much more energy!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I've been doing very good since then, keeping my daily intake below 1800 calories (mfp.com recommends 2060/day for my current weight loss goals)
    I think I would keep getting as close as possible to the NET daily recommended calorie budget, which is a huge adjustment in itself, and continue to learn what affects your body. For me, I have learned so far that sodium and sugar are not my friends. That doesn't keep me from working a treat into my budget once in a while because this IS a lifestyle change, and I refuse to live my life without a few treats. But for the most part, we eat clean, nutritious, non-processed foods and do our best to eat our NET daily goal. It has worked for my husband and I so far, though we're quite new here.

Best of luck and congrats on making a fantastic choice for yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. But, if you also set some nutritional goals for yourself for other nutrients that are important to you, your overall health will be better too.

I aim for trying to get 5 fruit and/or veg a day, getting decent amounts of fiber and keeping the sodium to reasonable levels. Having these goals helps me not overdo the junky stuff.

I beleive in all things in moderation so I don't feel deprived. But, at the same time I try to have a "Balanced Diet". I like the 80/20 rule. 80% healthy stuff and 20% whatever-the-hell-I-want stuff. :happy:

There's lots of different ways to go about it . In the end, you just got to figure out what works the best for you.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well it's really the difference between being healthy and losing weight. Those two concepts are not always the same. The women here who are living off of 100-calorie snack packs and perfectly portioned out chips are losing weight because they're losing more calories than they're consuming, but they are not eating to promote a healthier body composition.

You will lose weight if you eat less, it's very straightforward. At some point though, the amount of sodium, sugar, empty carbs you consume will have an effect on you. I'm not going to tell you that eating an egg mcmuffin is going to sabotage your weight loss forever because it isn't. It's not really helping you either.

Also, I do want to point out that the most crucial thing you've done so far is to become AWARE of how you were eating before. I hope you thanked your friend for his honesty!!

Agreed. I continue to log food at this point less for weight loss than because at a certain (ahem) age my health requires that I keep track of and not consume too much sodium and saturated fat. Long term health requires not *just* a healthy weight, but also eating the food that will best supply what your body needs. So splurge occasionally and enjoy it - logging what you eat on MFP regularly will help you learn which calories will do good things for your body.

Anyone whose preferred evening snack is half a cucumber should do fine! :-) Good luck!
  • nikkifk
    nikkifk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I build into my week a day where I am allowed to not worry about what I eat, I still log it, but if I go over the numbers I don't sweat it.
    Well done for making the decision to change - you won't regret it!
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Baby steps my friend, it's a long, slow journey. If you used to eat junk most days, and have now cut back to one day a week, then that is amazing. There may well come a time when you only want it once a fortnight, and so on, but it takes time, patience and perseverance. What you possibly need to beware of, is the mindset creeping in that you can do it every day. Because one thing leads to another, if you know what I mean. But you are here, and doing well, one day a week wont kill you, and in my case, the urge to do those things, or eats those things, lessens all the time. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Here's the question: My total calories for the day are sitting at ~1000 still, even after the greasy breakfast and fried fish sandwich for lunch. If I avoid any high fat / high carb dinner and stick to mostly vegetables and lean meat options (I may actually just have a bowl of Subway's broccoli cheese soup at ~200 calories), I can still come in well under my daily goal for most nutrition categories (calories, fat, carbs). So what am I missing? As long as I balance my daily choices to overcome one or two bad choices, is having a sausage mcmuffin for breakfast really that bad? I can still add vegetables here and there (my new favorite late night snack is a lightly salted sliced tomato or 1/2 a cucumber), and keep the numbers down. Is there some hidden flaw in these "bad" foods that myfitnesspal.com (and all the other nutrition databases) is hiding from me, or is it really not as bad as I've told myself, so long as I don't eat grease and fat 3-4 times a day, 7 days a week?

I don't know how much you have to lose. But if you're just starting with this, I don't see anything wrong with your game plan. As you get closer to your goal you may want to refine things. For now, the only number you need to worry about is calories as you learn and find more healthy options that you enjoy. No one started out eating like a champ, it's a process. I started about where you were. Feel free to add me as a freind if you like.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting started. I have no doubt you will be posting amazing pictures in no time of your weight loss and success. Having said that, it takes six weeks ( I read this somewhere....I think) to make a new habit. So, if your habit was McBreakfast almost every day, that craving won't change overnight.

I agree with many others that once a week may be a good target, and hit some other balanced breakfasts the other days. The problem I have with McSausage is the salt and sat fat. Whole grains, with some fruit, would be so much better for you. Your body needs more than calories - it needs macro nutrients, fibre, vitamins, minerals, etc. Over processes McFood isn't going to do it.

So, hit the treat button once in a while, slowly change the habits from mostly bad food to mostly good food, and not only will you lose weight, but you will FEEL better. More energy, more bounce in your step, more life!

Congrats, welcome to MFP and keep at it. We're ALL pulling for you!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The short answer to your question is yes - calories are calories and as long as you stay in deficit you will lose. BUT....

lol there is always a but. It is obviously much better for your health and well being to make healthy food choices!! Try to limit yourself to a McDonald meal once a week. Keep the alcohol to a minimum and only one night a week (or two :drinker: )

Also don't get over jealous...when MFP sets a certain calorie allotment for you...it's OK to eat to that limit!!!!....you don't have to fall so short of that limit then you're just depriving yourself.

Good Luck :smile: