Why are my calorie burns so low?

Options
2»

Replies

• ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I burn upto and over 700 calories an hour, but I know i do becasue i wear a heart rate monitor!

Do you have one? if so wear it during exercise to get a better and more accurate view of your calorie burn.

Can i also just add that i made a friend wear a HRM one day doing the same exercises as me - she weighs probably 130lb if that and she burnt 825 calories - so no, weight does not always count on the calorie burn!! High intensity exercise gives you the burn!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I can do 600 in 45 mins in Spin. I go hard. I weigh 100 lbs more than you. That may be the crucial bit ;)

Edit To Add: I wear a HRM too so it's an accurate measure.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I find that if I use MFP or the calories given on the equipment I am using, it is a much higher burn than my heart rate monitor. If I take n hour spin class, I burn 375-400 calories in an hour. I weigh 130 pounds and I am 62 years old. I use quite a bit of resistance on the bike and I am quite fit for my age. If I jog for 40 minutes, my heart rate will be between 80-90% of my maximum and again I burn about 350-375 calories. My calorie burn is most often much less than most others on MFP,:grumble: but as long as I am working hard, that's what matters.:smile:
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    My average is about 450/an hour. I say my cardio workouts are pretty intense. HR at 165 - 179.
  • smariere
    smariere Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have burned almost 600 in an hour, but I was doing a very intense workout, and it was a definite struggle to finish. I also am a lot heavier than you are, however, so I anticipate that once I lose a bit I will have to do an even harder workout to burn that much in that time. Just don't get discouraged by other people's numbers, try to let that motivate you to keep working at it!
  • TheNewDoug
    Options
    The heavier you are the more you burn. I am 283 pounds now and burn about 1200 an hour of going pretty good on the treadmill. My brother has lost 179 pounds on here and runs everyday for a full hour on the treadmill and averages 1600 an hour, he weighs 292. You say you are dripping with sweat, I know when I am done the front of the machine has sweat all over it and my shirt weighs about 5 pounds with no dry spots.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Your friends are either: a) heavier, b) genetically more efficient at burning calories, c) getting higher heart rates by pushing themselves harder, or d) overestimating how many calories they are burning
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I can get a pretty high calories burn from jogging/walking outside and sometimes on the stairmaster but it's tough
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For those using a HRM, remember that it is only a tool that estimates your calorie burn based on an algorithm using the stats you enter including gender, height, weight, Max HR and VO2 (for Polars). Polars use the standard 220-age for the Max HR. A lot of the times this is not correct and if you hit this number often or exceed it, you need to adjust it manually. Polar's "Fit Test" grossly overestimated my VO2 at one point and my calorie burn was way off! As a middle aged and overweight woman, a VO2 of 48 was crazy! When I manually reset it to what is expected for an average woman my age, the calorie burn was more what I was expecting.

I guess what I am saying is, use your HRMs calorie burn as a reference and let your weight loss, or lack of weight loss, as a guide.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    When I burn 600 in an hour its when I am running for most of the time and my heart rate is in the range of 165-180.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Okay, mine looks like I'm burning about 700 in 45 minutes, doing Aikido. That's because I write down about 45, but ranging from 30-60 minutes depending on perceived intensity of the class, but the class is actually 2 hours long. I guess (and try to underestimate, a bit) the amount of time that we spent actually training hard. So I'm not burning it as fast as it says I am, but it's easier that way than manually entering calories also based on a guess. :P
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I do high intensity kickboxing/cardio and have a good day if I can burn 350kc. Zumba usually gets me about 330 calories in an hour. That's just how it is for me and I don't skimp at ALL. I'm up front with the instructor, matching move for move.

I plateaued for 8 months because I didn't actually know what I was burning, so I went by the machines and MFP. Uhh no, not so much.

I look at it like this...that's how much I burn, and I'm glad I can at least do that. Some people are unable to run or dance or kick. So I'll take my 300-350 kc per class :flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Adding: Sweat is not really an indicator of effort. Some people sweat a LOT and some don't. Genetically, speaking. I sweat a lot, my daughter doesn't sweat at all, not even a tiny bit. Even doing the same zumba class with me and being very hot and tired, not a drop of sweat on this girl!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    A Calorie is a measure of energy. It takes more energy to move more mass (weight). Regardless of how efficent your body is at moving mass, it still has to move it.

I consider myself to be in pretty good shape. I weigh 281 lbs, an hour running will get me 1100 calories, give or take.

I also agree that visible sweat is not a measure of calorie burn.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with burning 400?! unless you want to eat a REALLY big cake, of course!
  • kirstand
    kirstand Posts: 76
    Options
    from what i understand, the heavier you are the more calories you would burn for the same kind of exercise...
    but thats not to say some of us may mis-calculate our burns.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the benefits of bein out of shape! It's not all about weight, your heart rate plays a huge factor too. For instance, my heart rate during a run went down about 15bmp over the course of a week, and so I burned about 60 calories less for that workout even though my weight remained the same.

That's a HRM issue, not a calorie issue. For someone just starting out, there is a period of adaptation to exercise in general. Your first couple of workouts, your body is kind of going "haywire" in response to the exertion and so things like heart rate can fluctuate a great deal. In fact when research studies investigate a new exercise or piece of equipment, they always have the subjects go through a "habituation" period on the equipment, otherwise the data is garbage.

So if you were just starting out, the initial few workout numbers were meaningless because your body had not stabilized.
  • jessica7368
    jessica7368 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors work on a VO2 max rate... I know my Polar6 has a way to set it to my own vo2 max... The higher your vo2 max the more calories you burn per minute.
    A vo2 max can be tested many ways, (you can google some, that aren't super accurate...) HOWEVER, the most accurate is having a NEWLEAF test done.
    Hope this helps...

I actually had a NEWLEAF test done about 2 weeks ago...it calculated my vo2 max 42.3 I have a Polar FT60 HRM, do you know how to change it in that one? According to the New Leaf test my zone 1 starts 148BPM, zone 2 158, zone 3 163, and zone 4 168