How to learn to love running?

Options
Hi everyone, I was wondering how you guys started running? Did you hate it at first then start loving it or were you a natural runner? Because I want to start running but I don't really like it -_- i WANT to like running though.

Any tips on how I can learn to love running?

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I hated running when I was younger. I thought in school when they made us run the mile for physical fitness tests it was pure torture. I didn't run a step (unless forced to) until I was in college. I got engaged and our wedding was set for a month after college graduation. Like every bride, I wanted to look good for my wedding. A roommate of mine was a big runner and she talked me in to going out running with her....then she talked me into running my first race. It was hard (I was under-trained) but I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I crossed the finish line.

Now....12+ years later I've run 4 full marathons, countless shorter races and am currently training for my 5th marathon. Not sure exactly how/when to pinpoint it, but running has become a central part of my life and I do love it now! My hubby still teases me about it because I was SUCH a non-runner when we first met. :)
  • WithDiamonds
    Options
    I like running by myself, and have always loved it. It's a good chance to really think things over, clear your mind, and just kind of get away from everything. If you don't like running, I would recommend dragging a friend into running with you, or running to a destination you like (a shop, the library, wherever) so that you can look forward to that.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Try chasing a cute member of the opposite sex.
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i smoke for 20 years and that didnt help when i wanted to start running ... so i quit that and started slowly ... i did the couch to 5k apps on my phone and used it ... now i can run .. it helped me to run .. also a good pair of running shoe will help too ... something comfortable ...
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I started off hating it. Now, I hate it. Possibly more.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Everybody has their own way of how they got into running. For me, it's timing myself and seeing how well I can do, if I can beat my PR. It's also about this incredible high that comes maybe ten minutes after my run is over. I'm sore, tired, achy...and somehow in complete euphoria at the same time. I didn't learn how to love running until just this year, and in high school? Forget it. I prefer going by myself, but I know a lot of people that run with a friend. By the way, try running with music. If you can't hear your heavy breathing, you forget just HOW tired you really are at the time. I run worse without music. Making new playlists is another thing I like about running. :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You go suit up one night after work. It's raining. It's cold. You don't want to.

But you decide to suck it up and do it. Not because you want to, necessarily, but because it's what you have on your training plan.

And because you CAN.

And then you go out and have the best run of your life. You're soaking wet when you get home and you have to hang everything in over the bathtub. And it all feels goooooooood. And realize you love running.

Or that's my story anyhoo.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I just started running two months ago. It was/is a bit of a struggle for me. I am not the best runner in the world and I lack the willpower for the most part. That being said, I want to keep myself challenged by trying to accomplish something that I will be proud of! So, I joined a clinic which is helping to keep me disciplined. It is also very motivating because each week I meet up with a group of positive people who are extremely supportive.

We just finished our 10th week and I am now able to run a 5k! We are on the ratio of 10:1 (run for 10mins, walk for 1, for the distance of 5km). Next weekend I am going to be doing my first 'marathon'... AND I signed up for the next clinic where I will eventually run 6.5km...

With the proper guidance, proper shoes, and proper hydration anyone can run! Just keep a positive mind and PUSH yourself! It is all about being challenged, because once you've achieved your goal you will be even prouder of yourself!

Slow and steady wins the race...
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've always loved running. I just can't do it long or far. >__> But Couch to 5K has been very helpful.

As far as tips for someone that doesn't like running? Maybe go out to a forest preserve or something like that? Having pretty scenery is always nice.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You just do. I love running because I can see my hard work pay off. It's easy to see when your race times drop, your longest distance increases or when you win an Age Group!

I don't know that trying to force yourself to run is the way to go. I say find a friend, go run somewhere scenic and enjoy. Don't run too fast, just run X amount of minutes, then keep adding a bit to that.

Not everyone loves running, and running certainly isn't for everyone. Not trying to discourage you, but it's the truth.

I'm a full blown addict:heart:
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i HATED running. I was enlisted in the Army and couldn't stand running. I recently did Insanity and it's given me tremendous endurance. Now I love running. I attribute my love of running to the fact that I have the endurance. It's no longer what I focus on when i run.
  • soccerblocker66
    soccerblocker66 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was a runner over 20 yrs ago, before my kids were born. Now, 65 lbs heavier and much 'wiser' I have started running again. It is much harder than it used to be. I am down 30 lbs, but it is still hard. I set attainable goals for myself. I do short 5K runs, they are 'do-able'. I joined a run class at a local running store and am making friends. We support each other. I noticed in race pics that all these runners look happy and I looked very serious and 'focused' (trying to breathe) and wanted to look happy, so the last race I did that. It makes a difference surprisingly. And I am starting to love it again as it becomes less 'work' and I get stronger. It won't be easy when you start but don't give up and don't quit! Anything worth having is worth working for! And YOU are worth it! Get out there and RUN!!!
  • ngoethe
    ngoethe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose weight and someone told me about the Couch to 5K program. I hated it...until I ran my first race. I love the sense of accomplishment after crossing the finish line. To be honest, I got bored with C25K and ditched it about week 7 or 8 and just put in my ipod and started running. I was in complete shock when I found I was able to completely run my first race. Not fast, but I did finish and run the entire race. I've been out of it a few months, but in Feb. of this year I committed to running one race a month this year, that helps keep me motivated. I would just suggest you take it slow and not push too hard or you will most likely burn out.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Used to play tennis, and run a little. When I started having kids, it became harder to schedule tennis matches & practices because of babysitting. Started running because I could do it anywhere, anytime of day. Met some runners who convinced me to do a 5K. Won a plastic mug age group award, and I was hooked. Been running on & off ever since. I love to run.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think that you have to decide to love it. Even when you are on the treadmill or the path running with tears streaming down and a stitch in your side, you have to tell your inner voice to shove it and keep going, the stitch goes away and the tears help cool your face. I won't say that I naturally love to run, not many do, but I love what it does for my body and my energy level, so I CHOOSE to love it. It's that difficult and that simple all at the same time. Good luck!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    For me, it took some time. I liked it as a child, but stopped running in high school. When I switched from working full time to part time (with summers off) I decided to try it. In the beginning, I hated it. But I'm stubborn so I kept on going.

Ironically enough, I started running regularly the very week that my 87 year old grandmother was admitted into the hospital following a major stroke. Hours after getting the news, I felt compelled to run.

Back story--I started my first spin class just days after my father was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer, and I attribute spinning and cycling to getting me thru that journey without going insane.

Maybe what I am saying is that, for me, fitness is kinda like church for me. It's always there to help me get thru the tough times. Do I LOVE running? I'm not sure. But I love the rythmic beat of my feet pounding the pavement, it's meditative. There are times when I don't remember entire miles of my run...because they just sorta happen.

It may not be your thing. But if you WANT to do it, just keep trying. As it gets easier and you get better, it may be easier to fall in love.

....or like kiwiburger said....just chase a cute member of the opposite sex :)
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race! I learned to love it because I wanted to see how far I could push my body to improve. Of course, I'm paying for it a little now because I pushed too hard, but I love that feeling of accomplishment!!
  • jwalker30
    jwalker30 Posts: 282
    Options
    Running can become enjoyable.

I hate running for about the first 2 to 4 miles, after that my lungs seem to open up & I enjoy running miles 4-about 8 to 10. After 10, I don't really like it. I think I actually get 'runners high' between 4 and 10 or there abouts...
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    You go suit up one night after work. It's raining. It's cold. You don't want to.

But you decide to suck it up and do it. Not because you want to, necessarily, but because it's what you have on your training plan.

And because you CAN.

And then you go out and have the best run of your life. You're soaking wet when you get home and you have to hang everything in over the bathtub. And it all feels goooooooood. And realize you love running.

Or that's my story anyhoo.

^^^^ love this! Last yr, I was a few miles home when it went from sunny to down pour! When I got home, I was laughing. That is when I knew. I had to stop because of surgery then injury but I can't wait til I finish Insanity to start again.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you can learn to love anything, but maybe the endorphins you get through running might kick in and make you feel good about your body and yourself. I was a chubby girl growing up, hated running, couldn't even run a mile. I remember sitting on the track steps eating a footlong sub watching my boyfriend at the time run because I was just too lazy and didn't care.

I started running to lose weight, and it worked for me, and then some. I overcame serious body issues through running. I went through a period of anorexia because I was never happy with how I looked, but when I started running I loved my body more for what it could do vs. how my body could look. I learned what treating it right would do (fueling my body right, and looking at food as my friend and not enemy). It's been almost 15 years and I've kept it up, and now it's not just about weight loss for me. It is a stress reliever, keeps me fit and healthy regardless of my weight, keeps me balanced, and brings me physical and mental strength. I love beating myself (as in improving), and look forward to new challenges. I'm not a maniac but I've done tons of races now, a double digit number of marathons, and am always training for more. It sounds kooky, but running and training for a long term goal makes managing other problems in my life easier.

So to answer your question, just like any sport, you may learn to love it by finding your inner athlete and bringing out that competitive edge in you that you never thought you had. Go for the small victories each day, don't get discouraged that you can't run like a Kenyan at first... you might just get hooked. :-) Just sayin'.