Kidney pain caused by water consumption?

Options
I currently drink around 3 litres of water during my 09:00-17:00 working day and another litre when at home in the evening and I am finding that I am experiencing a dull aching pain in my kidneys over the last few days. Could this be connected? Anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    They are absolutely connected. 3L of water a day is a LOT. Your kidneys are working overtime.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon a day of water but I never have any problems but that is not saying it's not what is causing yours.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    may I suggest you cut back a liter and see if that helps? Maybe a Dr. visit is in order,Kidneys are very important,want to keep them healthy.
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    Most of the water your body needs comes from food (if eating a healthy diet). For me, 1.5L is about the maximum liquid water volume I can consume without bloating up like a balloon, and feeling really ill and sluggish.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    3L is really not all THAT much if that is all you are drinking. Is that on top of other liquids or total? If it is total, and you are exercising hard on a regular basis, I actually think it is a little low. I drink somewhere around 2L during and after my cardio workouts alone.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Considering that 1 gallon = 3.785 L, (for us Americans on here) 3 L is less than 1 gallon.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    BTW, here is one of the most important things in the article I referenced:
    Generally if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or light yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake or have health issues, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's right for you.

This is kind of gross and in the TMI category, but it is a rule of thumb that I live by that by the end of the day, my pee is clear or almost clear.
  • emeraldowl
    emeraldowl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies. 4 litres a day of water is probably too much for me on top of the water I get from the odd coffee and herbal tea as well as food, so I am going to try and cut it down a bit to see if it makes a difference to the pain.
  • adaplas
    adaplas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's doubtful that 3-4 liters of day can overwhelm your kidneys. Normal kidneys can filter upto 150 liters per day, although 99% of that is reabsorbed back to the bloodstream.

The main danger of drinking too much water is hyponatremia (or low serum sodium) which is the primary problem of water intoxication. This condition can cause muscle cramps or pain. However, 4 liters is not enough to cause hyponatremia unless you drank that amount in a short period of time.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Yes, it could.