Cheating

Options
This might sound like a silly question but it IS normal to cheat on some days throughout one's weight loss journeys right? I just ate 2 x 100g bars of chocolate and feel so guilty =/

Replies

• jellymuffin
    Options
    Of course it's normal....you wouldn't be human if you didn't!! You have to just move on and not let it affect the rest of your day/ week xx
  • startinganewleaf
    Options
    thanks! i just feel like ive broken/now lost all of my previous week's progress.. sigh.. off to the gym i go :/
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    If you add them to your calorie count for the day then it's fine, if it looks like its going to push you over for the day, why not try to squeeze in some exercise to counteract it. I think it's normal, if you deny yourself everything you love, you're going to be less likely to make this a long term life change.
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    don't beat yourself up about it - i usually give myself one day a week where i can have extra alcohol and snacks that i like. and occasionally during the week i have such a strong craving for a bagel and cream cheese that i just have to give in. it's normal and isn't the end of the world. i'm almost 30 lbs down in a few months, so i'd say it's working for me! :)
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Today is my treat day!

your body needs the change every now and then
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    First, you're human. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and put it behind you.

Second, think about looking at this as a way to get healthy, not just lose weight. Every bite is a decision- unless you're on one of those fad type diets, there's no such thing as "cheating" from my perspective. Are the calories worth it? If the chocolate was good, the calories probably were. Try to stay within your calorie goals daily if you can... It took me longer than a lot of folks, but I lost 40 lbs eating what I wanted, when I wanted. But, by "what I wanted", I mean truly wanted- not just random eating. I want to eat healthier and be healthier so I would make choices to eat cleaner. Didn't mean I didn't have things like chocolate and cotton candy (surprisingly few calories) or even cake and cookies. Just meant I only had them when the calories were worth it to me- which isn't every day. Every bite is a decision.

Just make sure you track all the calories you eat and you'll be fine. If you go over a day or two, I'll bet if you average your calories over a week, you'll see it's all ok.
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you've been eating enough anyway, imho. Don't go too extreme--take care of yourself.
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    as long as you dont fall off the wagon permanently its fine :) i had chinese last night lol. just remember 2moro is a new day. before I used to think ive ruined it now so whats the point, and that was my problem. as long as you keep going afterwards its completely normal and healthy. Its when you try to restrict yourself completely the problems start! (speaking from experience!)

14580293.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, and personally believe that it isn't a problem to have a cheat meal every week. There has been a lot written on them out there. Search for cheat day while dieting, or cheat meal while dieting, or calorie cycling. But more importantly, you need to stop feeling guilty about eating food.

If you eat it, log it...there is no reason to feel guilty about it.
  • davekarie
    davekarie Posts: 19
    Options

..Like
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It is okay.. Just make sure you make it the exception not the rule.
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had a horrible day yesterday. I've hit a plateau so I was discouraged and took it out on food. But, I'm deteremined to get where I want to be, so today is a new day and I've made some changes that will hopefully have a positive result! Here's to a new day :)
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options

^^^

This :wink:
  • startinganewleaf
    Options
    cheers guys