Xbox 360 w/Kinect, PSP 3 or Wii?

Options
Hey all,
I really need feedback ASAP. It's Spring Break, I have my kids all week and it's nasty weather outside. I want to buy a gaming system that will keep them entertained as well as something I can use for cardio. Can someone recommend a good system?? Which one might have good games to buy for both kids and adult? Does anyone see any pros/cons on the different systems?

TIA for any and all replies!

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I love XBox 360. For fitness, I use The Biggest Loser and Your Shape Evolved, and for fun I've got Disneyland Adventures, Kinectimals, Kinect Adventures and Kinect Sports. :)

I've also got a Wii, but you can cheat and minimise movement playing those. You don't even need to stand up, so I don't recommend it for fitness unless you're going to really focus on it, and don't mind if the kids don't move around much. Don't have Move for the PS3 but it seems like the least child-friendly console.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I use a Wii, and I have Wii Fit and just dance which is a great workout and it will track your improvement and give you goals. I have lost weight on that, it's also fun to just play the interacting games! I've never used the other systems, so I'm not sure about those, sorry!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    We have two Xbox 360's. One with the kinect. The kids love to get up and move. I think its better than the Wii that we use to have. No opinion on the PS3.
  • flab2sixpack
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, ladies for this input!!! This is what I'm looking for!!! I really don't want my kids to just sit down in front of the TV and play games; if at all possible they should be standing at a minimum. :smile:

Keep it coming ya'll! I'm leaning towards the 360 w/Kinect but open to all suggestions/reviews!
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    We have a wii and kinect. If I had to choose one for the kids, I would pick kinect. With the wii, you can just sit and swing your arm around and it will sorta work, but with the kinect, if you're not up and moving, there's no way it will work.

My son is 7 and he used to ask to play the wii all the time, but now that we have the kinect he's ALWAYS asking to play it instead :)
  • hubkal
    hubkal Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    KINECT!! hands down! no controllers to break, it is wonderful for use with the Biggest Loser! it tracks your body and adjusts to your needs and ability and the kids love all the games they now have for it!
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have the PS3 move and I've used the Wii with its little remotes and the Xbox Kinect is, hands down, 100 times better. I love it. So much fun!
  • flab2sixpack
    Options
    Again, thank you so much!!!!

For those that have the Xbox w/Kinect... I notice the bundle pack comes with 1 wireless controller. Is that enough or do I need to buy another controller (I have 2 kids, ages 5 and 7)?
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    We have both a Wii with a Fit, and an XBox 360 with Kinect. The XBox with Kinect is a better system, hands down, for everything. Considering it's way more expensive, it ought to be! But it really is. The Kinect is a marvel. As a bonus, it also streams YouTube and Netflix to my TV in HD (Wii will do Netflix but not in HD) and it plays DVDs, which the Wii will not do, and it can be voice controlled. It's a really nifty machine.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options

For those that have the Xbox w/Kinect... I notice the bundle pack comes with 1 wireless controller. Is that enough or do I need to buy another controller (I have 2 kids, ages 5 and 7)?

Buy another controller. (my two girls are 11 and 8).
  • runnercheryl
    Options

You don't use an actual controller with Kinect. The 'wireless controller' mentioned is likely for general XBox control (you only need one if you're only using Kinect games). For Kinect, what you need/get is a camera (with microphone) you put by your TV. It reads multiple people no problem, and can listen to your voice and track movements. Just the one is needed.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old and me are great fans of Kinect
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have the wii, with the wii fit and dance. It is fun and you can get a good workout. I think it is more fun if you have someone you can compete against. I have my 33 yr old daughter. We enjoy it. Even my grandkids do it.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

You don't use an actual controller with Kinect. The 'wireless controller' mentioned is a camera (with microphone) you put by your TV. It reads multiple people no problem, and can listen to your voice and track movements. Just the one is needed.

I suspect that actually the wireless controller mentioned is the joypad for playing non connect games, you'll need more if you want multiplayer non kinect stuff.

The kinect is the camera.
  • flab2sixpack
    Options

You don't use an actual controller with Kinect. The 'wireless controller' mentioned is a camera (with microphone) you put by your TV. It reads multiple people no problem, and can listen to your voice and track movements. Just the one is needed.
    ??? I see the pic of what's included in the 4GB Bundle and it shows the console, the Kinect, and a handheld controller (wireless).

Thanks so much everyone! Looks like Kinect is leading!
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use the Xbox...... Dance central, Zumba and just dance are good games.
  • runnercheryl
    Options

??? I see the pic of what's included in the 4GB Bundle and it shows the console, the Kinect, and a handheld controller (wireless).

Thanks so much everyone! Looks like Kinect is leading!

Sorry, yep. I realised and edited afterwards.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options

It really depends on the games you want to play. If you want to play more traditional games, you'll want more than one. For the Kinect games, one is plenty. You can control the games with your movements, but sometimes it is easier to use the controller. Also, whoever is the closest to the Kinect is the one in control. I love our Kinect. The adventure game is one of my favorites. It's a lot of fun and you get "action shots" of you playing -which your kids will love!
  • Kateraptor
    Options
    Throwing out another vote for Kinect. I have both Your Shape games, bothe Dance Central Games and all of them are great for cardio. Child of Eden is an awesome non active game (for Kinect). If you're playing with your kids, I've heard Just dance is great and less frustrating for them than DC.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Xbox with kinect is definately the best option. Great for normal games, and by far the best for fitness games!!