people who LOST weight eating MORE

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I want to lose 30 lbs total my fitness pal say eat 1590 to lose 1lb a wk I am 204.4 started 8wks ago at 215 . I only lost .2 this wk am I doing something wrong

You aren't but it can take time for your body to adjust. A week isn't enough. Just keep pushing it and if you haven't already, start lifting heavy weights.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I definitely lost more eating more calories!

Stats: 5'7", 30yo female, medium frame, 130 pounds

I started out at 1200 calories a day and did that for about 2 months without any real results (lost maybe a pound).

After those two months, I upped my calories to about 1400-1500 a day and started walking about a mile or so everyday. I made sure to eat back my exercise calories and I dropped about 6 pounds in about a month and a half! I got down to 125 pounds and had to put on the breaks because I was looking too pointy (thin).

At that point, I decided to start making a commitment to working out and making sure that I put a bit more weight on. I work out for about an hour 3 days a week (30 minutes cardio, 20-30 minutes weights)

I have been maintaining now for about about 4-5 months and I eat 1400-1500 calories during the week and don't log at all on the weekends. If I had to guess, I would say that I probably can eat up to 2000-2500 calories EACH weekend day (which I suppose roughly turns out to be between 1600-1800 calories a day average for the week) and have not gained.

I was really scared to enter maintenance mode and eat more calories but it really is beneficial and you can still keep the weight off. I encourage everyone to try it!
  • allynady
    allynady Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • holly1007
    holly1007 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you are female 5'2" and working out 3-5 times a week you should try to hit 1600-1800 daily for fat loss.

You cant generalise though because everyone is differen! :)

It depends on a number of things such as how much muscle mass the indidividual has and and at what intensity they are exercising. Is it vigorous/moderate/low intensity and how regularly are they doing it

For instance I'm 5 foot 2 have a good amount of muscle and I workout intensely and I'm losing eating mostly around the 2000 k - 2200 mark. I can maintain on between 2000 - 2600.

Now another person who is my height 5 foot 2 might not have the same amount of muscle mass as me and do less intense exercise less regularly and they will have to work out by trial and error the amount they can eat to lose the fat. It depends on how much muscle they have and how fast their metabolism is.

I dont feel you can make a blanket statement on the calorie range a person needs to eat to lose.

:)

True! but on average most of the women asking me for numbers are in the 30-40% body fat range so I can make a general blanket statement since 99.9% of them want to lose weight and fall within the 1600-1800 calorie range.
  • ECoch
    ECoch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    After bumping around 161-160lbs for a few weeks I decided to try upping my calories. I have set my calorie goal to maintance on MFP giving me 1750 cal per day then I am using my exercise calories to create my deficit. I have lost 2.6 pounds this week even though it is my TOM. Hoping to get to 140lbs or lower for my sisters wedding in June xx
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
  • MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In 2011 I had lost 20 lbs mainly through diet of eating an increase of fruits and vegetables and exchanging white breads/pastas for whole grains, then hit a "roadblock" and gained it all back. Over the past 3 months I have been doing a lot of research and my uneducated, personal conclusion is that besides calories, some people need to monitor their carb. intake, too. Recently, I spoke to a nutritionist who told me that if a person is struggling to drop weight, but is eating at the caloric zone s/he is to be in, then consider increasing your lower-glycemic vegetable consumption and/or cut back on some grains. A tidbit of other info. I agree with in my research, is that if you are feeling hungry, you might actually be dehydrated. Drink a glass of water, and most likely you will not feel the hunger sensation (obviously you will be full of water, which will subside the hunger - so either way, you win).
  • paletendril
    Options
    Bump!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time believing you can eat more calories than your goal and still lose weight. When I eat more calories I GAIN weight. Isn't that the reason we keep track of calories? Just sayin'

My stats
    Age 43
    Height 167 cm
    SW 112 kilo
    CW 106 kilo
    GW 62 kilo

BMR 1771
    TDEE 2431
    TDEE -15% 2067 (2431-364)

So my goal is to eat 2067 cal a day PLUS all my exercise calories.

I started off at 1200 calories and lost weight but also started getting gallbladder symptons which can be triggered by very low cal diets. So I increased to 1400 and the symptons stopped. My weight stalled and I started reading up on what to do as I knew I couldn't go back to 1200.

Read a few good MFP group forums like
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/34-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3105-eating-for-future-you

Decided to up my calories to 1600 my weight didnt change much I kept on fluctuating around the same weight.
    Finally worked out how much I should be eating by calculating my basic metabolic rate (BMR) and my total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).
    I upped to 1800 cal a day with the plan to gradually build up to 2100 cal plus additional calories for exercise.
    After 7 days I finally saw a loss of 3.3 pounds (1.5 kilos).

When I was on 1200 as I was eating very healthy (alot of raw veg which is bulky) I would get full up really easily. I couldn't imagine eating more it was a struggle to make 1200.

When I started going up in calorie consumption I found healthy calorie dense foods to eat so I wasnt eating huge meals all day. At every calorie level I felt full and didn't feel deprived. When I got to 1800 after 2 days I was ravenous. I think my metabolism just went into high gear. Now I am at the stage where I have eaten 2100 and due to exercise calories I still need to eat another 260 cal. I feel full and am probably going to take the easy way out and eat some peanut butter.

Still early days as to how my body continues to respond to higher calories but so far it has been a success.

So yes I lost weight eating more.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Well your TDEE without any exercise is likely 1800+ with all that walking--so right off the bat your deficit is at least 600 calories--if you've been dieting for a while you may need to take a bread--eat at maintenance for a few weeks and then reduce again.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

You're dead in the middle of a healthy weight for your height. You shouldn't have your weight loss set to any more than a half pound a week, with increased protein over what MFP says, plus most of your exercise calories. You're also not likely to get a dramatic change on the scale, but take photos - front, back and side - to check your progress.

I'm the exact same weight now as I was last summer, but I have an entirely new butt.

11pounds.jpg
  • JuJu2976
    JuJu2976 Posts: 15
    Options
    Lorina,
    You look Great, I started MFP about 4 weeks ago and was tracking every thing I ate, I was not seeing a change, so I decided to add some Cardio to my weight loss and I picked up Biggest Loser 30 day jump start and started it 2 weeks ago, I can already tell a difference. I hope I can come out looking as good as you do.I can relate to you alot, Would you be my friend her on MFP, I think I could use you for motivation:) Keep up the good work. What is 30 Day Shred?
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If you are female 5'2" and working out 3-5 times a week you should try to hit 1600-1800 daily for fat loss.

You cant generalise though because everyone is differen! :)

It depends on a number of things such as how much muscle mass the indidividual has and and at what intensity they are exercising. Is it vigorous/moderate/low intensity and how regularly are they doing it

For instance I'm 5 foot 2 have a good amount of muscle and I workout intensely and I'm losing eating mostly around the 2000 k - 2200 mark. I can maintain on between 2000 - 2600.

Now another person who is my height 5 foot 2 might not have the same amount of muscle mass as me and do less intense exercise less regularly and they will have to work out by trial and error the amount they can eat to lose the fat. It depends on how much muscle they have and how fast their metabolism is.

I dont feel you can make a blanket statement on the calorie range a person needs to eat to lose.

:)

True! but on average most of the women asking me for numbers are in the 30-40% body fat range so I can make a general blanket statement since 99.9% of them want to lose weight and fall within the 1600-1800 calorie range.

oh ok. i understand :)
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I actully calculated this myself this time :D

So I Figured out my TDEE(Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - Calories you burn in a day or also considered to maintain you're weight .......... AND BMR(Basal Metabolic Rate)- Calories burned at rest by Harris Benedict Formula: 

BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years) 

MY BMR= 1600 
    MY TDEE= 2480 

For my body to do basic functions it needs AT LEAST 1600 calories a day. To lose weight you would create a deficit from you're TDEE. :) 

My plan is to eat 1800 cal/day for now and see how that works :) Plus some exercise cals back. I ate 1450 last week and gained .2 lbs. I'm thinking I need to up then because I'm not even eating my BMR but so many people eat only 1200 and a little above it is hard to get the concept that this is okay! Are my calculations correct or should I use MFP? 

MFP says my TDEE is 2120 and I will only lose 0.6 lbs eating 1800 cals/day 

Thanks !!! 5841616
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I actully calculated this myself this time :D

So I Figured out my TDEE(Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - Calories you burn in a day or also considered to maintain you're weight .......... AND BMR(Basal Metabolic Rate)- Calories burned at rest by Harris Benedict Formula: 

BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years) 

MY BMR= 1600 
    MY TDEE= 2480 

For my body to do basic functions it needs AT LEAST 1600 calories a day. To lose weight you would create a deficit from you're TDEE. :) 

My plan is to eat 1800 cal/day for now and see how that works :) Plus some exercise cals back. I ate 1450 last week and gained .2 lbs. I'm thinking I need to up then because I'm not even eating my BMR but so many people eat only 1200 and a little above it is hard to get the concept that this is okay! Are my calculations correct or should I use MFP? 

MFP says my TDEE is 2120 and I will only lose 0.6 lbs eating 1800 cals/day 

Thanks !!! 5841616

whether you lose .6 or more you're still losing-that's what's important. try it out and see! good luck!
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I will thank you :D
  • ranmca
    ranmca Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump

12908857.png
  • leslielightfoot
    leslielightfoot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I`ve decided to give this a try. I would like to lose 40 lbs. I`ve lost 20lb over a long period of time. This month I lost around 8 lbs but this week nothing. I have changed many things about my diet, eating mostly whole foods and trying to stay away from sweets and butter, etc. I have consistently kept my cal intake to 1200ish and I am 5ft 2 in woman. 40 yrs old.

I basically went from zero exercise and not really watching what i`m eating, to now I work out almost daily doing Zumba and JM 30day Shred. I see a difference in my clothes and am on my way.

After reading this (and other) threads, I think i am being unrealistic to only eat 1200 calories and not eat back any of my exercise calories (which average around 550 extra a day).

Would 1350 calories (and not eating exercise calories back) be reasonable when I still have 40 lbs to lose to get to my Goal Weight. i can`t imagine eating more than 1350 and not gaining weight (without upping my exercise regimen even more.)

thanks.
    Leslie