Lower Calorie Alternative to Peanut Butter

Options
Hello,

I love peanut butter but it is about 200 calories for 2 tablespoons. I was wondering if anyone uses another nut butter that has few calories?

TIA,

Mara

Replies

• ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    "Better N' Peanut Butter: Low Sodium" (I think you can still get it a Publix but I get it from Whole Foods)

Nutrition Facts:

Serving Size: 2 Tbsp

Calories: 100 (per serving)
    Total Fat: 2g
    Saturated Fat: 0g
    Trans Fat: 0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
    Sodium: 95mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 13g
    Sugars: 2g
    Other Carbohydrates: 9g
    Protein: 4g

I love this stuff. It taste great and you don't get all the calories! (plus you can pronounce all the ingredients :bigsmile: ) All the nutrition facts are the same for the regular except the sodium (in the regular it is 190mg)

But If you need something with *more* calories for the end of the day, I would recommend "Jiff's natural peanut butter" I think its 190 calories for 2 Tbsp.

Hope I helped :flowerforyou:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • AlisonMacKay
    Options
    Would you look in the natural section of the market for that?? It sounds good and I think I may also want to try it.
  • marlisold
    marlisold Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks Anna. Yes, it does help. I will look for it.

Mara
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    A lot of people use PB2. I personally use http://www.bettylousinc.com/products_detail.php?id=287&ref=0 only because I can get it locally. I think I will eventually order PB2 Chocolate from Amazon.
  • marlisold
    Options
    Alison,

Here is a store locator link. http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/storeLocator.php
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    PB2!!
  • Mdewell14
    Options
    Better than Peanut butter is disgusting! Just get natural ground almond butter or peanut butter from whole foods or another natural market. What is so wrong with 200 cals of protein and fiber!? I piece of meat is at least 150-300 cals.. you can use the peanut butter as your source of protein. But it on a bagel thin or low cal bread
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I get the natural creamy peanut butter, let it sit, and then pour off the peanut oil on the top.

(Actually, I save it and use it for cooking as peanut oil is a decent high-heat oil for stir fry.

If you pour, let it sit, pour, let it sit for a couple days, you'll get about 1/3 cup of oil. That's about 700 calorues.

A jar of peanut butter has 14 2T servings and 200 calories for 2T.

Pouring off the oil, you've saved 700/14 = 50 calories, so that 2T serving is now 150 cals, and 1T is now 75 cals.

Not quite PB2, but all natural.

Also, if the peanut butter gets a little hard/dry, just put the 1T on a plate and stick it in the microwave for a few seconds. Then it will spread easy.
  • christinerush
    Options
    Hi have you tried freenut butter? I dont know how the calories stack up and dont have any on hand to check atm, but sure you would find out if you googled it!
  • huck23
    huck23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    pb2
  • marlisold
    Options
    Thanks! Good info. I love the part about keeping the excess oil for cooking!
  • Chrisgarcia1287
    Options
    You can also try SNACLite Power PB. Lower fat than most Peanut Butter, and pretty natural.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2761103

Serving size is 4 Tablespoons, so just cut that in half.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I use Fitnutz powder for smoothies, but only for smoothies. And occasionally a decadent hot chocolate or coffee. 50-60 calories per two tablespoons. You're supposed to be able to make it into real peanut butter by adding water, but I am too suspicious of that to try. I love real peanut butter. Can't stand Better Than Peanut Butter, so I probably can't stand peanut powder converted to butter.

But Peanut Butter and Company has a cinnamon raisin PB for 160 calories per 2 tablespoons.
  • marlisold
    Options
    I found BNPB today and gave it a try. I like it!

Thanks everyone!

Mara
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    In my opinion... the best option is to eat the real thing but just watch your portion sizes. Two tablespoons of peanut butter is a big portion - more than enough for one slice of bread.

You could try the "light" versions - but if you read the label you they are just filling up the cals with nutritionless junk (starches and sugars), so I don't see the point.
  • superbeverly
    Options
    Try this:

Low Fat Peanut Butter Raisin Spread
    Ingredients

3/4 cup raisins
    1 cup applesauce
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup natural creamy peanut butter
    Directions

1. Put the raisins, applesauce, and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring to boil; reduce heat to medium and simmer for eight to 10 minutes or until raisins have plumped up.
    2. Place mixture in a food processor. Add the peanut butter and pulse until smooth.
    3. Spread onto whole wheat crackers, bread, fruit slices, or celery sticks.

Makes 1 3/4 cups of spread.

***** 2 tbsp. natural creamy peanut butter (210 calories) vs. 2 tbsp. peanut butter raisin spread (152 calories)

http://www.fitsugar.com/Recipe-Lower-Fat-Peanut-Butter-Raisin-Spread-17962661
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't look at peanut butter and just see calories. You have to look at all the nutrients that is in that 2 tablespoon serving. Of the 16g of fat, 12.2g are good fats including Omega-3s and Omega-6s. Not to mention the 8g of protein and 15g of fiber you get from that small serving. Just look for the all natural, no sugar added brands. The only ingredient should be peanuts.

People who sub in PB2 forget that all those healthy fats and virtually all that fiber that helps keep you full have been removed. Not to mention that PB2 has added sugar to it.
  • jenchamb119
    Options
    I use Peter Pan Whipped Peanut Butter. 150 for 2 tbsp. A little less calories and very good. I tried BNPB and didn't like it.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I just tried PB2 with Chocolate for the first time last night. It was a good alternative to higher calorie peanut butter. 45 cals per 2 tbsp. I also was able to get it at Walmart, it used to only be available online so that was a plus. I would like to try the regular sometime, but they were out when I was shopping.
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like the Peter Pan Whipped PB becuase it has 1/3 less sugar (since I tend to watch carb intake too), but still contains the "good stuff". However, I typically just buy whatever type of natural peanut butter I can. I'm okay to sacrifice my cals for PB b/c the benefits of it outweigh the cons in my opinion. Hope this helps!