Fitbit...to buy or not?

Options
13»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I just got mine today. No idea what I'm doing yet.... Oh well hopefully in time it will do something. I've only opened it about an hour or so ago.
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    I like the Fitbit but don't buy it for precision accuracy. If you take 30 steps, sometimes it will say 31 and sometimes it will say 45, don't know why that is. I think it's a good motivational tool and will give you a good idea of activity level. If you wear it the same place everyday you should be fairly consitent. If you are looking for something to give you an accurate calorie burn go with a heart rate monitor.
  • KittyMagenta
    KittyMagenta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this input. I was actually debating if I should get a HRM to monitor my calories burn but then I saw the add for Fitbit too. That's why I wasn't sure which one I should go with. Which one would you recommend if I only want to find out how many calories I burned when I work out on a video because I can never be sure after a video workout or after a run outside, how many calories I actually burned. Thanks for your help in advance.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Pros- Simple to use, links with MFP, can put in pocket, clip on belt, put in bra (for women), records calories burned, floors climbed, steps taken, miles traveled, automatically links send data when you are close to base, looong battery life between charges, knows when you are active and knows when you are not, records sleep pattern, smells like cinnamon. Ok, I made the cinnamon part up.

Cons- My spouse is jealous and wants ones, easy to misplace, I contstantly look at a girl's bra thinking she could possibly be a fitbit partner, it doesn't smells like bacon.

All in all, I LOVE my fitbit. I named him Teutonic and he goes everywhere with me. My goal is 10,000 steps a day and he will get me there. ( Got 8855 yesterday!)
  • tlaker
    tlaker Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    about to read everyone else's responses :) but i will say that i work in fitness and my manager just LOVES hers. she said it really helps her stay moving because it counts your steps. Only thing i personally dont like about it, is that it doesnt monitor your heart rate and that is a key thing to knowing exactly how many calories you burn. I've always wanted a fit bit though. But maybe i'll get a heart rate monitor just for when i exercise.
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Love love my fitbit! I have doubled my steps since getting into it, strive for "badges" for steps, flights of stairs and love having the carrot to chase of friends on here and fitbit challenging each other. I also eat back most of my exercise calories and like knowing what ive got left to eat. The MFP/fitbit integration is great and they're working hard on the bugs.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Love love love my Fitbit. I can say with confidence that it works. Things I do that I never did before:

Took the stairs (the Ultra has a meter for how many flights of stairs you go up, so I try to take stairs as often as possible now)

Park in the spot farthest away from the store. Gets me a few more steps in, which the Fitbit also tracks.

Pace at work when I'm stuck in a spot (I work retail, so if I am at a register or somewhere that I normally would just stand, now I walk around when not helping someone)

These are just a few of the pluses.

There is one negative. It seems that Fitbit/MFP linking breaks all the damn time. Annoying as hell, down a day or three generally, but it sucks. I put my lifestyle at sedentary so that when I walk/move a lot with the Fitbit, it syncs those calories back to me and I get an adjustment. Thats why I normally don't log any exercise unless it's intensive. Fitbit does it all for me, except when its down.

When it won't send the data over quick enough. Unlink it from your MFP account and then relink it. It instantly moves over your fitbit exercise calories burned to MFP.
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • MessyJessyJR
    Options
    I LOVE my FitBit! I usually clip it to my bra. It's great.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I haven't had very much luck with pedometers, possibly due to fused back making me walk with less movement in the hip area. Has anyone who has this issue had better luck with the fitbit? I agree that HRMs aren't convienent to use much of the time.

That shouldn't be an issue, it's clipped to my shirt most of the time anyway. It uses an accelerometer (like a lot pf phones and the Wii controller), so it's much more sensitive than pedometers that detect hip movement.
  • skinnyfromwithin
    Options
    I bought mine last year at best buy. It worked really well and then in the summer it stopped working :( I was really sad.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I ordered the FitBit and the Polar FT4 HRM the end of the week. They are both set to arrive Monday and I can't wait to try them out :) I ordered the FitBit off Amazon and used a link someone had posted to get an awesome price on the HRM. Also, I saw a lot of people on here recommend ordering a lanyard type of thing to clip it onto so you won't lose it.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Pros- Simple to use, links with MFP, can put in pocket, clip on belt, put in bra (for women), records calories burned, floors climbed, steps taken, miles traveled, automatically links send data when you are close to base, looong battery life between charges, knows when you are active and knows when you are not, records sleep pattern, smells like cinnamon. Ok, I made the cinnamon part up.

Cons- My spouse is jealous and wants ones, easy to misplace, I contstantly look at a girl's bra thinking she could possibly be a fitbit partner, it doesn't smells like bacon.

All in all, I LOVE my fitbit. I named him Teutonic and he goes everywhere with me. My goal is 10,000 steps a day and he will get me there. ( Got 8855 yesterday!)

You are a riot! Just cracked up at the food referenced (cinnamon & bacon) :D