What to do with lots of ricotta?

Options
nermal6873
nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
I have a lot of ricotta cheese left over from a recipe I made last night and I want to use it before it goes bad. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Stuffed portobellos, stuffed peppers, zucchini bake( like lasagna but with zucchini slices insteas of noodles)
  • piglet1643
    Options
    GNUDI! It's my favorite pasta and easy to make. They're similar to gnocchi (if you've had that) but much more pillowy and decadent. They are also simple to make. 3 parts ricotta to one part all purpose flour with some grated parmesan cheese thrown in. Mix together to form a loose-type dough. Cover and place in fridge for two hours. Then, pull out of fridge and scoop out into small balls (I use a melon baller so they're all the same size) and place on a cookie sheet, then place in fridge again for an hour or so. When ready to eat, boil for about 5 minutes or until they float to the top. Then top with your favorite pasta sauce. You can freeze any you don't want to prepare for the meal...they freeze really well. They are so delicious!
  • mollyfw
    mollyfw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nermal6873
    nermal6873 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    GNUDI! It's my favorite pasta and easy to make. They're similar to gnocchi (if you've had that) but much more pillowy and decadent. They are also simple to make. 3 parts ricotta to one part all purpose flour with some grated parmesan cheese thrown in. Mix together to form a loose-type dough. Cover and place in fridge for two hours. Then, pull out of fridge and scoop out into small balls (I use a melon baller so they're all the same size) and place on a cookie sheet, then place in fridge again for an hour or so. When ready to eat, boil for about 5 minutes or until they float to the top. Then top with your favorite pasta sauce. You can freeze any you don't want to prepare for the meal...they freeze really well. They are so delicious!
    That sounds delicious! Thanks!
  • vnwc
    vnwc Posts: 1
    Options
    It makes a nice little dessert when you add some vanilla and Splenda to it. You can also do a little lemon zest or other flavors that don't add calories. This is from the South Beach Cookbook (not the one that explains the program). I really enjoy it.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    mix with tomato sauce and serve with penne
  • milkll13
    milkll13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Throw it away.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options

This sounds amazing!! Thanks =)
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump.....i love gnudi!!
  • blessmy5
    blessmy5 Posts: 95
    Options
    I freeze mine for use anothe time. Freezes great!
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just an idea, but I did this with nonfat cottage cheese & do not see why it would not work with ricotta.

Scoup of ricotta
    almond milk
    Slenda or your choice
    1TBL cocoa powder or any flavor dry pudding mix
    Blend it all together into a frappe:smile:
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    lasagna roll ups. they got a really basic/healthy recipe on dashingdish.com
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I freese mine for use anothe time. Freezes great!

Yep. Freeze what you won't use.

Or mix with spinach and use it in stuffed shells or lasagna rolls.
  • _Shelley_
    _Shelley_ Posts: 206
    Options
    I enjoy it smeared on whole grain crackers with sliced tomato.
  • ahoag_83
    ahoag_83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Half a cup of ricotta and some frozen berries are one of my favorite snacks.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Throw it away.

Yes. Because wasting food is always the smartest idea.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Put it on flatbread with veggies & mozzarella...grill - or - broil it
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Put it on a pizza with some tarragon!

http://happygoodtime.com/2011/12/15/phyllo-pizza-with-roasted-beets-parsnips-and-beet-greens/

Ricotta + tarragon = heaven!
  • divinesoul
    divinesoul Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Nice! Would love to try this. Thank you for posting!

12994052.png
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

These sound so good!

I really like ricotta. The go to use in my family is to put it on toast or a tortilla with some indian chili pickle, or just some garlic. I sometimes also like putting it in my oatmeal, or just mix it with some cocoa powder and top with fruit. Or mix it with spinach and garlic and have it as a side for fish.