Healthy curry recipe please :)

Options
jessof89
jessof89 Posts: 23
Hi all i wanted to make a curry but i haven't got any good recipes for a healthy one if someone could help me out or direct me to a good recipe online i would be grateful.
Thanks
Jess

Replies

• carebears1973
    carebears1973 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess,

A vegetable korma from the Indian take away is 1000 calories without rice, but I buy a jar of Korma Sauce from Asda, boil a variety of vegetables (potatoes, sliced carrots, chick peas, shredded cabbage). When they are cooked, drain the water and stir in with the sauce. I put quorn chicken peices in with mine too(I zap them in the microwave for 1 min to cook them)

The jar of sauce is enough to cover veg for 3 adults. I cook 200g of basmati rice and all together it only costs 550 calories and you get a large portion that is really filling!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Check out some great recipes on skinnytaste. I have been meaning to try the chicken tikka masala dish. Have never tried it before but I have tried other recipes from this site, and they always come out great.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Indian Flavor
  • jessof89
    Options
    I'm from the UK and i tend to eat indian curry's however i do like thai curry's also, i have just bought some chicken,lentils, spicies etc i was just going to experiment but was going to see if anyone on here had any suggestions then my idea of wack everything in a pan :P
    Thanks
    Jess
  • DuChene2012
    DuChene2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You like clams? Log onto www.eatingwell.com and type in "curry" to see all the scrumptious recipes they have!

Red Curry Clams

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/red_curry_clams.html
    From EatingWell: May/June 2011

This simple recipe of clams cooked in a spicy Thai red curry sauce takes advantage of prepared Thai curry paste, which is available at well-stocked supermarkets and Asian-foods stores. We call for red curry paste but use whatever type you prefer. This recipe also works with about 4 pounds of mussels. Serve with crusty bread to soak up any leftover sauce.

4 servings | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
    Ingredients

5 pounds littleneck, manila or other small clams
    1 14-ounce can “lite” coconut milk
    1/3 cup lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
    1/3 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 1/2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste, or to taste
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon fish sauce (see Note)
    2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation

Wash clams thoroughly to remove any grit.
    Bring coconut milk, lime juice, wine, brown sugar, curry paste, garlic and fish sauce to a boil in a Dutch oven or other large pot, stirring occasionally. Add the clams, tossing to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the clams are open, 7 to 10 minutes. (Discard any unopened clams.)
    Stir in cilantro. Taste the broth and adjust the flavors to your taste. Serve in deep bowls with lime wedges for squeezing.

Nutrition

Per serving : 266 Calories; 8 g Fat; 5 g Sat; 0 g Mono; 57 mg Cholesterol; 19 g Carbohydrates; 24 g Protein; 0 g Fiber; 526 mg Sodium; 631 mg Potassium

1 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat, 1 fat
    Tips & Notes

Note: Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian-food section of well-stocked supermarkets and at Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our recipe testing and nutritional analyses.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Jess - Weight Watchers UK do some really great curry recipes. Even though I now live in the USA, I still have my UK WW books and make sag aloo, flat breads and all kinds of curries. Check to see if you can find them online.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    http://www.laaloosh.com/ct/health-and-food/food-recipes/by-origin/indian/
    I found this online as well - it has WW points to it. Looks great!
  • Monkee8088
    Monkee8088 Posts: 143
    Options
    mmm bump
  • jessof89
    Options
    Thanks jsheehey oh and i keep on seeing people reply bump what does this mean :S
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I love curry too - the one I do is completely made up and not at all authentic but it's bloody good! I had a craving one weekend and just chucked things in a pan and the result was quite nice.

Finely chop an onion, crush garlic and ginger into a paste, and lightly fry them in about a teaspoon of oil until they're translucent. Add Indian spices to taste - I usually add turmeric, fennel seed, cumin, chilli powder (quite a lot of that!), ground coriander, a couple of whole cloves, a couple of bay leaves, cardamom pods if they're in the pantry, and a cinnamon stick. I add whatever I fancy that day - it's different every time I make it.

Cook the spicy paste for a couple of minutes, it'll get all fragrant and yummy.

Take chicken pieces and remove the skin - leaving the skin on adds absolutely nothing in this dish except for calories. Chuck it in the pan and lightly brown, then add a tin of tomatoes and a cup or so of natural yoghurt. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked. (I usually do it on quite a low heat for a couple of hours, or for 25 minutes in the pressure cooker.) Taste, adjust seasoning, devour.

I like to think it's quite a healthy dish. I usually use a whole chicken and joint it (then make stock out of the carcass - win-win!), and one chook will feed about six. It freezes well too.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    as in "fist bump" ? That's what I take it to mean :)
  • jfcameron23
    jfcameron23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Burmese chicken curry on allrecipes.com is really good and only 215 calories per serving.
  • raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    my favorite http://weelicious.com/2010/12/22/contest-winner-day-3-chicken-curry/
    when I entered it with what I used Per Serving:

cal 247

carb 13

fat 8 I used theighs though

protein 24

I ate over cauli rice :)
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bump means that the poster is either making a note of this topic so that it appears in their list of recent topics replied to, or they think it's worth keeping near the top of the forum. Or both.

:smile:

And now I've got a link to this thread in my recent topics list too, so I can easily refer to curry ideas :love:
  • AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump