MFP cal. burned calculations??..

Options
I was just wondering if anyone knows if the calories burned on the exercises on MFP are calculated with your weight and height in mind. Or if they are just a "general" calculation like if you were using a machine at the gym. To me I think your particular height and weight matter when calculating calories burned. Or am I uninformed? Any info on this topic is appriciated.

Replies

• shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and MFP always shows way more calories burned than my Heart rate Monitor says I burn.
  • julieann1966
    Options
    I have noticed too that the calories burned is rather high, I take note but would rather stick to reality so in my head I divide the amount or cut the time in half to get a more realistic figure ! :)
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I know that my S.O and I just did the same workout and MFP said I burned 446 cals and he burned 495. He is 3 inches taller and a bit heavier, so my guess is its to your height & weight, or maybe it just goes by male & female, lol. who knows:)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of their algorithm, but whatever it is, it doesn't work for me. MFP overestimates exercise calories anywhere from 20-50% compared to my HRM.
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I believe the number does take into account your height, weight, and maybe age (?), because 2 of my MFP friends and I all did the same exercise for the same amount of minutes and MFP said we all burned a different number of calories.
  • AmandaLAcosta
    Options
    MFP is SO generous with cals burned..
    There is at least a 200+ cal difference in my HRM vs MFP. 200 cals is huge when trying to lose a few lbs.

I suggest getting a HRM. Its worth the investment.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yeah it way over estimates, however it UNDERESTIMATES walking for me. Very odd.
  • Jenny1061
    Jenny1061 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you all for the reply's, i think i'm going to get a HRM.
  • nikrit84
    nikrit84 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Since I do most of my workouts in the gym, I use the total amount of calories burned on the machines and then just adjust the time on MFP. When I used the HRM, mine would actually be higher than what it showed on MFP so I would take a number in between. If you are worried, use the lower number of whatever you use (HRM, Machine, MFP)